iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a good deal??

Started by DanG, May 05, 2005, 10:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

This showed up in a local grocer's ad sheet this week.  I dunno whether to go for it or not. ???

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Furby

That's about what we been paying around here.

sprucebunny

Sounds like a good deal whether it's bacon or coffee ;D

Betcha Maxwell House don't know they are in the pork business  ::)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

GareyD

I'm wonderin' if that would taste like...

Coffee flavored bacon ::)...or...bacon flavored coffee ::)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

etat

There's just a slight possibility that you could have your coffee, and eat it too. :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Buzz-sawyer

Dan
Thats J Leno Material :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

DanG

Naw, Buzz.  That's DanG material.  It IS for sale, however. ::) ;D ;D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

My dad seen a cleaned/froze goose about 8 pounds for 42 $ today in the big store.
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

asy

DanG, I gotta admit, I looked at it and thought... 

Huh? They get their Bacon in CANS???

I mean, I know you guys are odd... but hey...

hehe

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Teri

Think I'll pass on that one.  :D :D

Fraxinus

Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

Engineer

I'd go for it.  That's just over two pounds of bacon-coffee for five bucks.  Heckuva deal.   ;D

jjmk98k

Asy

bacon in cans

or

vegemite.....

YOU call US strange?

"huh" I laugh at you silly folks......
Jim

Warminster PA, not quite hell, but it is a local phone call. SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

asy

Quote from: jjmk98k on May 06, 2005, 08:04:12 PM
Asy
bacon in cans
or
vegemite.....
YOU call US strange?
"huh" I laugh at you silly folks......

Um...

I don't eat Vegemite, and I won't tell you what it's nickname is coz Boss-Jeff would get cross  ;)

Peanut butter and Jam are my spreads-of-choice.

wiam

Asy,  Don't be scared. :-X :-X

Will

Jeff

Well, we got a place right here in Harrison that serves something most of you have only heard of.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MULE_MAN

OK !!! Jeff   make my day & tell me what a  BBQ Pork Wing is   ???
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Gilman

DanG,
Would you Perk, or Drip?

Do they have it in instant?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

SwampDonkey

Haven't you guys heard that pigs fly? ;D

Dang,

Hmm coffee flavored bacon? We can get maple flavored bacon. Why not? ;)

:D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

When I usta hit my porkers with the hot shot they would almost fly in the trailer. :o Musta made them sprout wings.  ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Chris J

I've had fried coffee (don't ask), but never had brewed bacon.  Let us know how it is.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

crtreedude

Isn't that Spam ? Maxwell house Spam - I bet Hormel is upset.

Of course if you buried Spam in coffee grounds it just might become edible. One of my hidden reasons for moving here is that there is no Spam in the entire country - Hormel has blacklisted Costa Rica because the distributor didn't pay their bill.

I always knew the Costa Ricans have good taste.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Teri

I got 2 cans of that STUFF in the cabinet I'll send to ya.  ;D ;D ;D

crtreedude

Won't make it past customs - it would be considered a hazardous material for sure.

The funny thing is that on the Costa Rica Living list that I am a moderator someone ask where they could find Spam - I in nearly disbelief couldn't believe someone would want the stuff. Then, I had a bunch of Spamites whinning at me that it was wonderful and worthy of eating. If I hadn't stopped them they would have turned the whole list into a Spam recipe exchange site.

Spam, spam, spam, spam, ....

Teri

:D :D :D :D :D smiley_crying smiley_crying smiley_crying :D :D :D :D :D

Its hazardous alright!!!

DanG

Don't get too frisky there, Fred.  Spam, properly prepared, is pretty good stuff, as long as you don't read the label. ;D :D :D :D

crtreedude

Or eat it....

Parts is parts.

pigman

How could spam not be good. 8) It is made from pigs. Of course, I don't think it is made from the best parts. ::) ;D

Teri

Its made from piggy parts alright.. ;)  But which parts are they using??? :D

crtreedude

New slogan for Spam:

Made from the best parts on earth. (Sorry Snapple)

Teri

The best parts of what?  ??? ??? ???

crtreedude

DanG,

First Grits, now Spam - tell me, do you eat real food?!?!  ;D

Man, you got to come down here and get fed - I'll take you out to some Chicharrones (fresh pork crackling).

Just so you all know, our Tica housekeeper / cook and all around friend wants nothing to do with grits (Harold smuggled some down).  She thought they were paste used for putting up wallpaper....  :D

Teri - no idea - I am sure Hormel considers that a trade secret.

Teri

I would keep that stuff a secret too!!!  ;) :D :D

Fla._Deadheader

Fred, I doubt that ya fixed them grits proper. Bet I could get Ana to try 'em 1 more time, she might like 'em.  ;) ;D ;D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Grits and Spam ARE real food, Fred.  Sometimes I snack on junk.  Fer instance, last night I had a big ribeye, baked 'tater and a salad.  Can't be doing that too much, though...ain't healthy.

FYI, Spam is made from ham.  If you want a real culinary delight, get some "potted meat."  Read the label before you eat it, or don't read it at all.  Just a little friendly advice. ;D :D :D :D

pigman

I thought spam was made from the front legs of a hog, not the back legs. I guess  that is what I get for trying to think. :-[

asy

I always thought it was what they scraped off the bandsaw blades after they finished cutting up all the other bits of the piggie...

I may be wrong though...

But then I may not.

tnlogger

I just dont under stands ya'll spam i a product that feeds the world. It's all in how ya fix it.
fried spam and grits with eggs, fried spam and cheese sandwich. It's almost as good as hot dogs so whats not ta like. ;D
gene

Teri

Roxie

Pennsylvania has a unique way of dealing with "parts".... anyone heard of Scrapple?   ???  Here is a list of ingredients from the globalchef website:

But what parts of the hog go into the creation of scrapple? After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig - what remains are fixings for scrapple - including the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains. Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.

I have a big block of this stuff in my freezer that was given to Cowboy Bob by an Amish friend.  It's gonna be in the freezer forever.   :)
Say when

Teri

I would take that out of the freezer and bury it real deep in the back yard or the back forty.  :D :D :D

Tom

Sounds a bit like Hog's Head Cheese.    I like it!  ;D :)

`

Slabs

Hey Rox

Send me some of the Scrapple and let me compare it to my favorite SOUSE.
Same thing as Tom's head cheese.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Roxie

I can't believe that anyone would really eat that stuff!   :-X  Souse doesn't even look good!  The one thing about this Scrapple is that you can't accuse anyone of deception when scrap is in the name!   :)
Say when

Ianab

The local's here know how to deal with the leftover pig bits. Puha and pork bones in a boil up  8)

Now I guess if need to tell you about puha... ::)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Sounds yummy, Ian! :D :D

Was in the meat shop one day last week.  Chicken feet was $1.29lb.  The rest of the chicken was $1.09lb. ???  Went back in a couple of days later and they had plenty of chicken, but all the feet was sold out.  That must tell ya somethin' about the demographics hereabouts. :D :D

crtreedude

A timely factoid:

SPAM: introduced by George A. Hormel & Company in 1891 on this day....

Teri

Roxie...I agree with ya' on that.  ;D

sandmar

Spam=SPiced hAM or so I been told. I personally like my ham sugar cured,sliced about 3/8" thick and fried,with red-eye gravy and buttered catheads....but that's just me  ;D

Sandmar

beenthere

sandmar
I like SPAM, always have, and we ate a lot of it during the war (II) and after. I view it as a treat now.

I am real curious (maybe don't really want to know, given this subjects' discussion) what the 'buttered catheads' are (seeing as we have been discussing 'hunting' cats in Wisconsin lately) 
???   
At first look, I was thinking catfish heads, or the 'cheeks'. On second thought, I wondered if it were 'cat heads' which isn't too appealing. 
But really, thinking that neither of my 'thoughts' are correct.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Patty

OK, back to the hogs head cheese.... :-X

The next time we butcher a little Elmer or Hammy, who should we send the head to?  ???   Best offer gets it!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

gary

A fried spamm sandwhich is real tasty.  I tell people don't read the label or you won't eat it.

sawguy21

Maybe with LOTS of mustard.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Rockn H

Patty, we have to heads in the freezer now, but I'll post a really good recipe as soon as I can get it out.

Rockn H

Here's my grandma's recipe for Hoghead Cheese or Pressmeat so I'll just copy it staight from her hand writing to here.

Remove the brains, tongue,and the jole fat.  Clean and soak whats left with feet over night in salt brine.  Rinse and cook till real tender.  Remove from bones as soon as cool enough to handle.  Add season to taste mix well. (red pepper, black pepper, sage, salt, and apple vinegar)
Put in a stone or glass container and cover and press until firm.  I used a large plate and a jug or jar of water to press.

This is a really good recipe.  You can sramble the brains with eggs.  If your not collesteral challenged you can cook the jole fat down for grease to fry what ever you like.  The tongue can be pickled or cooked however you like.

Thank You Sponsors!