iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM ( Timberjig) stopped cutting

Started by hammerfore, October 18, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammerfore

While using my timberjig the other day it just stopped cutting. No amount of pushing would get it to move . Chain is sharp and was cutting fine untill it wasn,t. I tried a new cut and after a few inches the same result. Just to be sure I had the local chainsaw guy look at it. Other than being a little worn the chain and bar looked ok to him, although he was unfamilliar with ripping chain. The chain is not rubbing, not over heating, If I rock it a little it willsometimes bite and move forward a little then the same thing. When it is cutting it cuts great. It was starting to washboard so I may have an issue with an unevenly sharpened chain but I cant figure out why it is stopping dead. Any help would be great as the field of downed trees near my house, white and red oak as well as cherry is disapearing into the nieghborhoods firewood stacks quickly. Thanx   

hammerfore

Just to be clear, the saw is running fine. It just stops cutting.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

That is puzzling. Does the saw cut if removed from the timberjig? Just a thought to isolate it to being just the chain, as it sounds like a chain/tooth problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jssmitch

check your chain sprocket, could be the problem.  Make sure it is not slipping on the shaft.
Jessie David Mitchell
USN Retired
Homemade band mill/Bought TK1400

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum hammerfore!  I have a timberjigg, and when I use it I have to really watch that it is cutting square and straight. Takes a bit of getting used to, as it requires more attention to detail than the Alaskan MK III I have.  If the bar starts to wander in the cut, it will just stop. No matter how hard you push. Get a string and check the cut for straightness along the length of the cut. Other than that, a little more info as to your saw setup or maybe a pic or 2 of your milling progress showing the cut and when and where it stops would certainly help us in helping you pinpoint the issue(s) you may be experiencing.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

terrifictimbersllc

Could be your bar groove is opened up a bit too wide and needs closing back down with a bar rail closer ($20 from baileys). This can allow the chain to set up at an angle and do nothing else. Also check front of bar is square, if not make a jig with a block of wood and a file set into a groove in the wood at right angle .
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

mikeb1079

i had this exact same problem a while back on my csm.  chain was turning and saw was fine but chain wouldn't cut! 

two things: 

i believe that i was not filing my chain properly.  i wasn't using a guide and was not filing that critical upper corner of the tooth, i was filing too low.  thus, the chain would not bite.

what dennis said:  the bar groove could be worn to the point of not allowing the chain to bite
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Nomad

Welcome!  You mentioned that your chainsaw guy thought your chain looked a little worn?  Are your depth gauges filed low enough?
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

celliott

Maybe posting a few detailed pictures of your chain and bar could help determine if it's a B+C problem.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

mikeb1079

QuoteYou mentioned that your chainsaw guy thought your chain looked a little worn?  Are your depth gauges filed low enough?

ahh good point.  i've know many a fellow (myself included) that had no idea you were supposed to file your depth gauges as well as your teeth
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

hammerfore

I took a closer look at my chain and while it appeared sharp that upper corner was indeed ery dull. I resharpened it on my grinder, just a harbor freight one but if you pay close attention it does a pretty good job. Back to the woods and I,m makin saw dust and stacking boards. Thanks to all who replied for your help and suggestions. How did we get anything done in the days before forums !!!!? 

Thank You Sponsors!