iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snow shoeing near De Tour Village.

Started by Jeff, January 24, 2014, 07:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Yesterday I tried to hike into my U.P. property but failed due to the snow being so deep. Today I went in with snowshoes and got my game camera that had been out since the last day of November. I took a couple videos and selected some notable photos from the over 380 photos on the camera.

http://youtu.be/nnK3VOg0RmY

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Awesome wildlife pics, Jeff. Whats a snow shoe?  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Thanks for taking us to your little bit of heaven.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Alcranb

My Christmas gift to me was a trail cam. Sooooo much fun! Kind of like spying on these critters inner sanctum  :)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 24, 2014, 07:54:00 PMWhats a snow shoe?  :D

Your answer is in the first picture after the video.   :) :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

Beautiful!  I got exhausted listening to your breathing!  I always assumed snowshoeing would be good workout.  You confirmed it!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Jeff

That was some tough snow shoing. It was 18 below this morning and the snow is powder and still hardly supports a shoe. I was still sinking in a foot sometimes. Those were some noisy shoes. Metal plastic and rubber. They are Lou's. My wood ones are virtually silent unless you step on your own shoe. :)

Autocar

Very nice thanks for letting us tag along.
Bill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This post and pics makes me think of the explorers as they walked across our lands. They probably saw the same things you see Boss.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SwampDonkey

Nice group of deer there. I see the coydogs are around to, maybe they will concentrate on the rabbits. ;D I wish I had a trail cam, don't know what to buy. The stores here don't stock much of anything. Might have one in store, might not for months. Just the way it is.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

The arch is found. That's how I do my driveway,but it takes me 3 times instead of his 2.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

nice tour, thanks Jeff.  We got our snow shoes for the family 3 Christmas's ago.  No snow to speak of for 2 winters in a row.  Now its -20 with a 40mph cross wind.  They havn't been used yet :-[
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

SwampDonkey

I've got to dig mine out and get the heart pumping a little harder. Getting out of shape. Not much exercise standing around in the shop.  ::) Last two weeks has been thick crust, no dry snow...until today.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stinny

Thanks Jeff for taking us with you. Deep snow shoeing is tough going for sure... but usually worth the effort because of the beauty all around. Your pix just add to that even more. I really enjoyed them.

Are tracked ATV's popular in your part of the world? See a few here in Maine, but mostly snow sleds. 
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

ESFted

Those pictures were great, and almost made me want to go back to snow country.  It looked like you were using some of the aluminum snowshoes that have a fairly small footprint.  If most of your snowshoeing is in deep powder on trails or open ground consider investing in some trail shoes similar to these.
http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=886804&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WX2*0213737000000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&gclid=CMeE8rzFnbwCFWVyQgodISIAYA
I used something similar to get around in Alaska for many years.  You won't sink in so far and they will track a bit better than some of the new small styles.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

Jeff

Those look very similar to my snow shoes I have at home, but I'd guess mine are less that 4 foot long. I was wearing Lou's snowshoes he keeps on his snow mobile for emergency.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ESFted.

What are your logging, lumber, sawing, woodworking interest??

sandhills

Thanks for the walk Jeff, and thanks even more for keeping all that white stuff up your way  ;).  That sure is pretty though and i bet you still get the goosebumps every time you get to walk in there  :).

Thank You Sponsors!