iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chemical for cleaning tank

Started by Canadiana, July 09, 2018, 12:57:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadiana

I have a gas tank that had fuel left in it for so long i knew there was an issue as soon as i smelled it! The smell was not even strong. I dumped out all the 'fuel' but the tank has sticky junk all through it. I pulled the carb off and to my surprise it looked pretty good. I put it back together without the fuel line attached to the carb and dumped some fuel in the venturi and gave it a few pulls and it went. What chemicals are best for removing ancient fuel solid deposits? I have no experience with this. Thanks
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Al_Smith

mike_belben

Id try fresh gas and a tin full of steel BB gun shot.  Easy enough to fish out the stragglers with a magnet when youre done.

Id bet between ether, carb cleaner, naptha, xylene or mineral spirits .. One of them will break the jelly down but it may also start eating the tank or line/filter inside so be careful and whatever you try to it outdoors with fresh air and no cigarette in your lip.
Praise The Lord

realzed

If I was trying to get the sludge or old gas build-up out and somewhat worried about the tank itself possibly getting screwed up in the process - I think I would just fill it with straight Sta-bil or whatever brand you wish to use, of fuel stabilizer and let it sit and see if it can work some magic for a while, assuming you don't urgently need to use it. 
If that isn't the case and you wish to get the saw operational and use it sooner than later, I would just add some every fill up to slowly eat away and break down that same crap built up over time while you use it.
It is made specifically to keep the chemicals in fuels from aging and becoming the buildup of sludge you presently have, from forming in long term storage situations.. 
That tells me it should also be safe for the tank in addition to having the all of the chemicals (probably mostly fuel oil based) to eat out a lot of the same crap adhered to an old tank as well..

Canadiana

The tank is metal which makes chemicals safe to use. Hoses are removed for sure

Canadiana

Not sure i want to loosen up the goo then send it through the engine, might be ok but that can't do it any lasting good

hatman-nz

would of thought  a degreaser  would work the best to clean out stuff 
or just. clean  fuel. give a good  shake around  tip out and redo a few times    blow out fuel lines  then  run on good. fuel  may pay to toss the plug  as well  old fuel can. play hell  on them 

HolmenTree

All clear to log in again, thanks for the advice Jeff. :new_year:

That sludge in the OP's metal tank is the tank's original layer of paint that the old fuel dissolved.
My old Jonsered 70E I recently took ownership of has the same problem. Paint omly dissolved up to the level of the fuel in the lower half.
I used my pressure washer to clean it out worked great.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Like I said about using the pressure washer it loosens up the loose paint sludge and carries it out of the tank the best it can.
Put in a new fuel line and fuel filter and your good to go.
I'm thinking the OP's metal tank saw is a older one and is part of the crankcase unless it's an older pre 1982 Husky model.
In my case with my Jonsereds 70E to properly clean it I would need to tear the whole saw down and split the crankcase halves. Something I won't do as finding parts for this ole girl would be a task.
Just check the fuel filter regulary and replace when needed.

ZeroJunk

Never thought of that Holmen. Learn something new every day.

Magicman

I very seldom post here in the Chainsaw board but I do read and even learn quite a bit following the various topics.  @HolmenTree I am very pleased to see your login issues resolved.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

HolmenTree

Quote from: Magicman on July 11, 2018, 09:49:12 AM
I very seldom post here in the Chainsaw board but I do read and even learn quite a bit following the various topics.  @HolmenTree I am very pleased to see your login issues resolved.  :)
Thanks Magicman, I'm glad I got the log in figured out too. :)
I sure missed this place and as I checked out the other forums out there they sure don't compare to the "experienced members" here on Forestry Forum and without all the drama.

thecfarm

And I missed you. 
There are other forums?  ???
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on July 11, 2018, 02:22:21 PM
And I missed you.
There are other forums?  ???
If they can be called forums :D
More like "Children take your frustrations out here" forums. :)

Al_Smith

I also pressure washed the inside of both a 2100 Homelite and a 2100 Husqvarna .Both had sat for years and the fuel lines had dissolved .The residue left behind would go through the fuel filter and lodge in the screen in the carb .Sounds silly perhaps but it worked .

Canadiana

Saw tank? Who said anything about a saw? I like it here too, the less drama the better. I think the lack of drama starts with the application to join. I bought some chemicals but it will be a few days before i can get results up here. Thanks for the ideas

ZeroJunk

Well, assuming it is a metal tank which you did not specify, I take them to a radiator shop and get them dunked in the acid bath.

As far as solvents, which gasoline is, there are limited options that you can buy. Acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK, kerosene is all I know of as a consumer. Not sure that any are better than just plain gasoline.

Pressure washer is just a physical force option which should blast out anything it gets to.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Canadiana on July 12, 2018, 05:15:04 PM
Saw tank? Who said anything about a saw? I like it here too, the less drama the better. I think the lack of drama starts with the application to join. I bought some chemicals but it will be a few days before i can get results up here. Thanks for the ideas
You mentioned tank then carb on a chainsaw forum....
Where about in Canada are you from Canadiana?

joe_indi

Being in a still developing country, for such cleaning jobs we resort to the Indian equivalent of Redneck Technology :D
And for cleaning any tank or container, be it metal or plastic we use sand ;D
Drop in a handful or more (depending on the tank size) and some laundry detergent, add some water. Close the tank and just shake it, holding at different angles. Empty out the sand, rinse and have a look. If you want it cleaner, rinse the sand add less detergent this time and repeat the operation. Sand should not be too fine, or too smooth. The smaller pebble like rock sand from a quarry crusher is ideal for most purposes because it is still gritty unlike river sand.

HolmenTree

Quote from: joe_indi on July 18, 2018, 09:45:25 AM
Being in a still developing country, for such cleaning jobs we resort to the Indian equivalent of Redneck Technology :D
And for cleaning any tank or container, be it metal or plastic we use sand ;D
Drop in a handful or more (depending on the tank size) and some laundry detergent, add some water. Close the tank and just shake it, holding at different angles. Empty out the sand, rinse and have a look. If you want it cleaner, rinse the sand add less detergent this time and repeat the operation. Sand should not be too fine, or too smooth. The smaller pebble like rock sand from a quarry crusher is ideal for most purposes because it is still gritty unlike river sand.

Joe, you got excellent suggestions there.
I can add one more...after putting in the sand, water and detergent. Take the saw to the local hardware store and put the saw in their paint can shaker machine for about 5 to 10 minutes :D

joe_indi

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 18, 2018, 09:26:28 PM
Joe, you got excellent suggestions there.
I can add one more...after putting in the sand, water and detergent. Take the saw to the local hardware store and put the saw in their paint can shaker machine for about 5 to 10 minutes :D

Willard, a front loader washing machine works great, provided the tub can accommodate the fuel tank with space for it to tumble :D

Canadiana

I am still in process but getting closer to the end. I am surprised to see that the layer of smudge appears to be remnants of paint. Who knew? Sand! Sand? I would've started with sand but it's too late now. It sure is hard to find the time in July.

Thank You Sponsors!