iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance, Glad I Had It

Started by wetdog, September 24, 2016, 08:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wetdog

There have been many discussions on here about sawmill insurance. I recently sold my old mill and bought a new WM LT35 Hydraulic. As you all know insurance for a mill is sometimes hard to get but I felt I had to get it due to traveling down the road with it. Everyone knows, if you wreck one of these things and bend the frame, you now own a big pile of scrap iron. I got my insurance to cover it as another piece of farm machinery since I don't saw commercially. I purchased it and brought it home. I sawed three logs with it and put it under the tractor shed. Two weeks later we got the worst flood in history. The mill went under water. It only had 5 hours on the meter. My insurance done as they should. I was worried about the road but it was the water that got it. Goes to show, you never know.

Magicman

Some things are better than luck and insurance is one of them.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Man o man, I call it good planing,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

4x4American

It's one of those things that helps me sleep better at night.  When you get the next mill are you gonna put it back in the same place?  I would be looking for higher ground or making my own lol
Boy, back in my day..

wetdog

Quote from: 4x4American on September 24, 2016, 08:53:08 PM
It's one of those things that helps me sleep better at night.  When you get the next mill are you gonna put it back in the same place?  I would be looking for higher ground or making my own lol
Definitely looking for high ground.

pineywoods

Did the insurance co total the mill or repair ? I did some wrenching on an lt40 that had been flooded. The diesel engine didn't fare too well, but most everything else was fixable.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WV Sawmiller

Sorry you needed it. Glad you had it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wetdog

Quote from: pineywoods on September 24, 2016, 09:17:22 PM
Did the insurance co total the mill or repair ? I did some wrenching on an lt40 that had been flooded. The diesel engine didn't fare too well, but most everything else was fixable.
Totaled and I'm glad they did. I would have been chasing phantom problems forever.

Chuck White

Glad you had the Ins. wetdog!

Always nice when things go smoothly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ncsawyer

Glad you had the insurance and they replaced it.  I knew a guy that bought a brand new $400k track cutter.  The dealer delivered it to his logging job, but the bank was still working on the loan and had not yet sent the money for the machine.  The logger got it stuck on the first day and it came a big rain that night.  The next morning the only thing visible was the very top of the cab.  He was fortunate enough to have insurance in place as well, but they repaired his machine.  Replaced all the electrical components.  I see he is still running it, so he must have come out ok on the repairs.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

kelLOGg

I guess farm machinery insurance policies cover flood damage. My home owner's policy doesn't.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

47sawdust

Just curious,what became of the mill ?
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

SkyDoc

I live in Holden LA. We built on the post Katrina flood standard. The threshold of my door is 6' 2" from the ground. A passing neighbor (in a boat) reported to me that I had water up to the threshold of my door. I was at work offshore and trying to get back to to get my wife and dogs. My neighbor took care of them and got all of them and many others out.

Periodically I got pictures as the floodwaters rose. The last shots I got were of my neighbors front yard. I zoomed in to see my lawnmower a foot under water, water up to the seat of my 580B and I could see my mill covered up WAY in the background. I had inadvertently left the mill head all the way up the carriage and covered with a tarp before I left for work. I was lucky that the mill was not damaged in the flood. However, I dont know if the insurance is going to pay for all the other damages yet. The water did not get inside the house but all the way up to the subfloor. We were lucky but we still suffered losses.

I am curious, who did you have insuring your mill? I am looking at buying a larger portable mill and think that it would be a good idea to get some coverage.

Doc 
Dad always said "its easier to learn from someone else's  mistake than to make it yourself". Thats why I am here....

fishfighter

Quote from: 4x4American on September 24, 2016, 08:53:08 PM

We had went thru a once in a 1,000 year flood. I was lucky enough not to flood, but over 100K homes did. :(

wetdog

Quote from: 47sawdust on September 25, 2016, 04:38:58 PM
Just curious,what became of the mill ?
Insurance took the mill to an auction company but it was not at their last auction. I guess someone bought it before they had the auction.

Thank You Sponsors!