iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Recommendations

Started by bee_pipes, November 17, 2005, 08:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bee_pipes

I need something to skid logs. I'm just a little operation, so don't have a lot of cash for tractors, skid loaders, etc. Primary use will be on my own property. I don't know a lot about ATV's, but am doing some reading to bone up on the topic. What do you have, and if you had it to do over again, what would you get? Are there particular parts of the specs to pay attention to (besides hp, engine size, etc.?). I have seen a lot of accessories for them on Norwood's page.

Right now it's hunting season, so used ATV's are getting top dollar. My neighbor assures me the prices will drop at the end of the season. I'd like to be ready to snap up any deals.

Thanx in advance.
Pat

I am not getting fat! I am developing a powerful set of muscles that allow me to sit for long periods of time without tiring...

GareyD

If you are primarily gonna use an ATV for heavier work, I would strongly recommend that you look for one that is water cooled and has 4 wheel drive...

When we were doing mowing and release work in young pine plantations, we burned up a couple of air cooled machines when hauling 50 gallons of spray and pulling mowers all day...that is when we switched over to water cooled and 4 wheel drives..

To me, the 4 wheel drives are not as much fun to pleasure ride, don't turn as sharp and use more fuel...but they will pull the load, do the work and last longer while doing it ;)
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Ernie

GareyD

I'll second that.

We have an ancient kawasaki 500 cc with constant 4WD and Water cooling and it, so far, has been unkillable unlike the air cooled suzuki's that we had before. We have dragged some very big loads up our steep hills without too much problem.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Dakota

bee_pipes
I started out with a Honda Foreman 400 with all the time 4 wheel drive.  I quickly found out that I need something to lift up one end of the log to make dragging them easier, so I built a log arch.

Next thing I found out was that even with the arch, sometimes the logs were too big  to drag for very far, so I built a little axel for the other end ofthe log.

This works well, but it's hard to get the axel under one end of a 3500# log.

Moral of the story is that logging with an atv is a lot of work.  If I was to do it again, I'd save my money and get a nice 4X4 tractor.  Or, you could buy all my atv stuff, and I'll go buy the tractor.
Dakota

Dave Rinker

mike_van

Just my .02 -  We have an Artic Cat 300 4x4,  compared to almost any farm tractor, it is a toy - Just my opinion -  I'll take almost any 2 or 4 wd farm tractor w/ chains before I would hitch 1000+ lb logs to it.  Might be great for hauling out fence posts, deer, etc. If you have large logs & any grades to go up or down, you just don't have the machine weight to get it done safe. Like I said, just an opinion -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

sprucebunny

I have a Honda 500 cc Rubicon 4x4 with high and low range and a solid rear axle. These features , along with tracks on the rear year round make it unstoppable. I have dragged the biggest tree I could find ( 14" Balsam )with no arch and an atv dump trailer full of dirt that weighed about 2000-3000 pounds up hills.

I haven't babied it at all ::) Some people think I should be a product tester because I really USE stuff ;D

It has an automatic transmission or you can shift if you want.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Scott

Personally I don't put much stock in ATVs for moving logs, even with an arch. But if you decide to go this route you'll want a good HEAVY bike. Those goofy looking Bombadier Traxters where a good work machine. A friend of mine has one for moving logs to his little mill. Its a lot of work and slow going but he's happy with it.  Check out www.novajack.com they have a really good arch.  :)

sprucebunny

The trailer holds a cubic yard struck and I can't tow it up a hill more than 3/4 full so you can do your own weight guessing ;D

Furby

One yard is usually around 2500 pounds I'm told. Be it pea gravel, sand, or concrete........ haven't actually weight any though. ::)

sprucebunny

Thanks, Furby. i've never been too sure about that.

But I got to wonder... if you mean wet concrete.... how could a yard of say 1+1/2" stone which has gaps between the pieces weigh the same as wet concrete which has no gaps ???

IndyIan

If you want to go cheap have a look for suzuki kingquads, around 1988 to 2002.  They are only 300cc so alot of people discount them but they have 3 ranges, 2wd, 4wd, and 4wd diff lock, also they have reverse in the 3 ranges, some atv's don't.  They also weigh around 600lbs.  They can overheat being air cooled but I've put a small 12V fan in front of the engine and am careful and haven't had a problem yet.  

A winch is a must I think, get at least a 2000lb one, I use it all the time.  Get or make an arch as well as this would greatly increase the size of log you can tow.  

If you are considering spending over $3000 I would look hard at some 2wd tractors with chains, you might be able to find a decent tractor that will out work any atv.
Ian

Furby

Like I said, it's what I was told. I have heard some say it's closer to 3000 pounds though, and that would include wet concrete.
Around here, they sell sand, gravel, dirt, whatever by the yard, but load by the ton........ seems to be a bit of a scam to me. ::)

SwampDonkey

Make sure it's not belt driven.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Furby, From the "Pocket Ref"

Gravel,dry,1/4 to 2 " >>weight per cu ft  105

Sand,dry                                                  100

Concrete, gravel                                        150

Gravel with sand, natural                          120

Oyster shells, ground                                53  ;D

So , I'd say the average was about 2700 pounds a cubic yard

DonE911

We have 2 Polaris 500 ATP's ( all terrain pick up )  (his and hers)

They are basically a 4 wheeler with a small dump bed on the back instead of the rack system.  It list the bed as being able to carry 400lbs and I'm sure it will, but you'd have a hard time dumping that weight since its a manual dump.  Has a hitch and I use it move around all my trailers other than the goose neck.

It's a 4x4 if you want.. its a 2x4 if you want... or it has a turf mode that unlocks the rear end so you can turn without tearing up the grass.   It's automatic so no shifting.

I have been dragging logs along the ground with no arch for a while and it's got more than enough power for that. 

I just got a Future Forestry ATV log arch, but I have not had a chance to use it.  No more ruts all over the place from the log plowing.

They are good tools.

Now would I rather have a tractor?  Yes if it had a loader with good lifting cap.   I have a small 4x4 tractor ( 13hp) and its a beast for hauling the logs also, but the 4 wheeler will do it more than twice as fast and can do alot of other jobs to boot. 

Furby

Thanks Joan!
I've never gotten "dry" sand, gravel, or whatever, so I figure I'm getting ripped. :-\

Max sawdust

Well I have put my 400 Polaris sportsman up agianst da brotheren laws 600 Yamaha and the Polaris kicked but on pulling logs the furthest.   ;D
What size logs?   
I logged about 10 cords of 20 inch oak with an atv it took all summer and lots of creativity.  Not to productive, finally I broke down and took the pickup to the woods to finish the job ::)
If I could buy a new one I would get a Honda cause of the chain drive. Just know I would not get what the brothernlaw has :D
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

Kevin

You might consider the lunar module if it's wet or snowy.

Modat22

I recommend one of these

4WD with positraction lever like a tractor, I've pulled stuck 4x4 truck out with this puppy and many logs and trailers full of firewood.

its a gator 4x4 hpx. It doesn't go much faster than 25 mph and 10 mph in low range but its a bad mama
remember man that thy are dust.

D Martin

I skid with an arch and a polaris 700 sportsman and have moved 34 inch pine butt logs with no problem. Tractors are nice but you cant go trail riding,hunting,fishing,game spotting etc on em. If you are going the atv route I'd get as many cc as you can afford and an arch wich you can build way cheaper than buy and make it as big as you need.

bee_pipes

Thanks all - will look into the recommendations. I have thought about tractors, but the hilly terrain and washed out roads (gullies) to the back property make tipping a problem. Made me think a low, wide wheel base would be a safer bet. Seems like all the attachments are for ATVs or a 3 point hitch for a tractor. I gotta say watching the local farmers get work done with tractors makes it look mighty appealing. We have about 5 or 10 acres of hollow for the garden, buildings, mill and drying yard. The rest (40-45 acres) is steep hills and woods. Definitely water cooled with the hills to carry any kind of load. The trailers are impressive too. When this critter is not skidding logs it needs to be useful for other work to justify the cost. Doesn't really need to go fast (my days of speed are long over). I had no idea you could put tracks on the back of an ATV. Thanks again - especially for the pictures - it helps.

Regards,
Pat
I am not getting fat! I am developing a powerful set of muscles that allow me to sit for long periods of time without tiring...

mike_van

Pat, a lot of it is what YOU will feel most comfortable-safe with. Like any subject, opinions will go to both sides of the fence.  I refer to our Artic Cat as a toy, mostly because just one of the 18.4x26 loaded tires with a chain on my International weighs the same as the entire ATV. I really like that weight factor if something goes wrong [things do - logs roll, etc] I've been a tractor driver/operator since the '50's,  after a while it gets so you just look at a job and say "I can do that" or "I can't do that"  I passed up some nice firewood logs this spring, really steep rock strewn [actually rock covered] hill.  Good place for a real honest to goodness log skidder, not me.  Good luck - stay safe -                                                                                             
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

brucehuggins

The Gator is 4X4 water cooled.
     The Arch is comprised of: Axel, Wheels, Timber Frame, Come-Along, & Snatch Block.
     The Human is my consultant "ESF/2006"

As long as I can get one end off the ground I can get it home.  I would advise against dragging logs without an arch for safety reasons and for the sake of the machinery. 

Its not the best arch, but it is one of the cheapest.  The Gator set be back a little, but it does double duty as a toy.

[img width=400 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/albums/y28/oldsawmillguy/arch2.jpg[/img]
Oldsawmillguy

johncinquo

I had an ATV for awhile and it as a lot of fun but sold it awhile back.  Try to pull to heavy burnt out the belt once.  I gave up after that and just played with it.   Lately I have been thinking of getting something again, but with all the options and models out now I wanted to make sure I did some research first.   I wanted, 4x4 that could be turned off and on, 4 stroke, liquid cooled, rollover protection of some kind (whether working or playing I might get into trouble).   Then I got to thinking about how nice it wold be if there was a way to lock it up, some heat on occasion might be nice.   Get out the weather if needed.    Hmm thats sounding like another truck, and I dont need that around here, plus I want to be able to take a 2 track or path throug the woods.   Then it came upon me, actually someone called me wanting to sell and I had a stroke of, ingenious ineptitude?   Who knows.   Anyway, 1994 Geo Tracker, soon to be the woods wagon!  $1300   Compare that to a $6000 ATV.  Its got 4wd on demand, I can take the canopy and doors off in about 5 minutes, heater works.  I am gonna take out the back seats and mount a arm and winch cable. Already has a class 2 hitch on back.   I will get a title, you need that for anything in MI but no insurance.  It is light enough I can trailer it very easily.  I think it has a 1900 cc motor, thast way more than any atv on the market.  The tires are shot, but I am going to throw some off road tires on there.  Surprisingly, or not, I can put truck tires on here as cheaper than ATV tires would cost. 

Sometimes I scare myself with nutty ideas.... 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

catvet

I've been considering stepping up from an ATV to a "utility vehicle".  I've been considering the Gondo by Land Pride.  It looks like it could haul a fair amount as well as safely pull a small forwarding trailer, or arch. 

Anyone seen, or have, one of these?  Check them out at the link below

http://www.landpride.com/lpdiv/products/prod_uv/prod_gondo.html

Catvet

Northern Vermont

Thank You Sponsors!