iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Green clapboard siding?

Started by Aeneas61, September 07, 2016, 07:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeneas61

We will be raising our timber frame cabin in a few weeks and are trying to decide on siding options. We are leaning towards clapboard siding, sawn 1/2 inch non tapered, have seen this on a lot of the older houses in our area and like the look, plus think we can get more coverage per log we have to mill this way.

Anyway, we will most likely be sawing tulip poplar for this siding, does anyone have experience putting this siding up green, as in not dry? Any advice? Was cupping or splitting an issue with green siding? How long should we wait to paint?

Thanks
Josh

Magicman

I would install the boards with the pith side out (bark side toward the building) so that any cupping will not flair outward.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

If you are putting it up green I would make sure the nails only go through one layer of siding and only one nail per siding piece per stud.  If you nail it more than that when the wood shrinks it may pull the nails out or crack.  Once the wood is dry you could go back and nail it again on the bottom edge if you think it is necessary.

Just Me

Quote from: Joe Hillmann on September 07, 2016, 12:28:02 PM
If you are putting it up green I would make sure the nails only go through one layer of siding and only one nail per siding piece per stud.  If you nail it more than that when the wood shrinks it may pull the nails out or crack.  Once the wood is dry you could go back and nail it again on the bottom edge if you think it is necessary.

I agree with part of this, but you should never have two nails in the siding. The proper way is to nail just above the top of the lower piece. You are talking green, so it will shrink, not expand so if you have a 1" overlap your nail should be 1/8" above the lower piece, so 1 1/8" up on the piece you are nailing.

This will allow the piece to grow/shrink with the seasons by sliding under the piece above. If you have a nail in the top and the bottom it can not move and the piece will split letting water in behind.

WDH

Yellow poplar will split at the pith, so I would saw around the pith and maybe leave a 4x4 from the center that contains the pith.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!