iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lx 250

Started by Bruno of NH, October 06, 2018, 12:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Absolutely need a plan for handling the slabs coming off that - even just getting them free of the log, you are not going to just push 350 lbs of slab with a "heave ho"  I watched the new Baker slabber in Richmond this past spring - did fine sawing, but the poor guy who was running it had to then remove the slabs, he was no slouch, and you could tell it was all he could do.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

PAmizerman

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Hilltop366

Bruno what you need is a wireless remote control so you can run the mill from your tractor, also a setup (also wireless remote) to push the slab off the log on to a set of forks to transport the slab to the finished stack.

The only thing missing is a way to put stickers down, I guess you will have to train your dog to do that. ;D

bhraymer

Is anyone hesitant to buy a brand new/unproven model?

Bruno of NH

I wouldn't this model has been out in Europe for some time
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Stuart Caruk

By the time it hits the market, Woodmizer has it pretty much figured out. I have the first diesel powered LX450 they built. I had a couple minor issues, but they were quickly resolved by the factory at no cost. I'm tickled pink with the performance so far.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

bhraymer

I heard the 450s had a lot of issues which is why I'm hesitant to jump right into the 250...but if WM fixes/resolves any issues that come up with new models then I guess it's not that big a deal. My other concern is that within a year or two they will add more options (hydraulic) and then I'll be stuck wishing I had waited a bit. I appreciate the response for sure, still have some time before I make my decision.

Bnewman712

Do you have a clearer pic of the specs so I can read it all?

bhraymer

The fact that the blade guide only closes to a min of 38" concerns me a bit as far as cutting smaller material...this would be my only mill and I do still have to cut a little bit of small material (dimensional lumber, mantles) from time to time. Any input on making small, narrow cuts with a 38" opening between guides?

Stuart Caruk

I do this often. If the blade is tensioned properly and sharp it makes no difference.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

bhraymer

That's pretty much what I was thinking and hoping especially knowing that the 60" WM1000 doesn't even have blade guides. Thank you for the reply, much appreciated

Dave Shepard

The WM1000 has two adjustable blade guides. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bhraymer

My mistake, I was told it doesn't. Also mistaken about the cut width, 67" apparently

tule peak timber

I just talked to WM and they said early summer, 26 bucks.Hmmmmm
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Gwhunter

Do you guys have any idea why WM isn't offering log turning option on the LX150 & LX250?
The LX150 checks all the boxes for me that the LT15 Wide doesn't but with no tuner it keeps me looking towards the LT40 Wide.

Matt

Bruno of NH

The log turner would be great
I run a stationary mill
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tule peak timber

Probably cost on the turner. I will probably buy another Lucas dedicated slabber.

Bruno of NH

I would like to try a Lucas 
Or see one run in person
I like the slabber and circle saw
In the rough i like the look of circle saw wood.

tule peak timber

We had the 76 inch Lucas dedicated slabber and loved it.I sold both of my mills last fall and bought an Lt 15 wide just to keep going.Some of the logs coming in are just too big for the WM so it looks like I will buy another Lucas.

John S

TPT,

Can you describe your experience with the Lucas Slabber?  Was it set up under cover or out in the open and what type (if any) foundation?  26K for LX250 is a bit much for me!  Thanks
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Bruno of NH

How much is a Lucas with the slabber

tule peak timber

The new slabber is 11 bucks and we paid 16 for the first one because of the exchange rate at the time. Experience wise we wore out 3 bars and one engine cutting countless HUGE logs.No foundation because sometimes we needed to put it on scaffolding to reach the top of logs over 6 feet in diameter. An excellent mill all around and a super bang for the buck. You can also flatten slabs and do biased cuts for MONSTER cookies. You must pay attention to sharpening your chain properly for the type wood being cut . I regret selling mine.....Rob

123maxbars

The LX 250 would be very handy in my area, most over sized timber is left to rot in the forest or firewood. I could easily use it to break down big oak logs for quarter sawing, would be much faster than using my chainsaw, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Old Greenhorn

Got an email yesterday, the new mill is released. See HERE.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stuart Caruk

For the log turner question, it's simple physics. The standard claw turner on a woodmizer is useless 
on large diameter logs, because it doesn't have enough travel to rotate the log 90 degrees. If you have a 
biplane clamp, you can hold the log and retract the turner, but the claw is in the wrong place.

On my LX450, I have a chain turner. It's far superior to a claw, but even still, it doesn't have the poop or traction to turn really massive logs. I've added a second one on my mill, and they work in tandem, and even then it won't turn massive logs. I resort to using a cant hook from a logrite attached to a chain, and extend the boom of my Skytrak to hook the chain to the fork carriage. retracting the boom, rotates the log. It's simple really.

To get the large slabs off, I slam a tree falling wedge into the crack on the right edge, then back it up with a pair or 3. I lift the crack with the skytrak fork and slip a 4 x 4 in the center. Then pick it up with the Skytrak. It works great for the offcuts, slabs, and massive beams.

There is just no way to build this into a mill. Although, to be fair, I'm about to add a pair of Harbor Freight 9000# wireless winches to my setup mounted in the building. One will be a dedicated turner, the other will lift one edge of slabs to get the block in the middle.

Stuart Caruk

Thank You Sponsors!