iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got new info on gafner mini skidders

Started by logman81, January 14, 2011, 06:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

If any one is interested in any info on them I just got a couple of brochures on them with lots of info there a really neat little skidder. Wish I could find someone that has one in working condition it would be a perfect machine for what I do. :)
Precision Firewood & Logging

saltydog

are you talking about the old 2000 mules?thats the smallest ive seen.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

logman81

No these are mini cable log skidders that they also produced. Models 4000ms and models MB411 that were built using Mercedes Benz components.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

logman81

Yes there is I try and get some pics of them and put them on here. They are a really cool little skidder. ;D

logman81

So I have finally got a hold of the guy that owns the skidder and is thinking about selling it. I am going to go look at it in the next week or so after he is done having his fields. I'm hoping that things will work out, I really need this skidder so I can get back to what I was doing. It will be the perfect complement to my small log truck.

logman81

Does anyone else have one of these skidders I'd like to learn more about them.

lumberjack48

Note from Admin; Images must be added to forum Gallery before being posted.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

lumberjack48

logman81 i don't think this is the machine for you, to expensive to fix. You need a C4
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

logman81

The one I'm looking into is all Massey Ferguson based with a Perkins deiesel, it is not the Bens version.

Holmes

Quote from: lumberjack48 on June 05, 2015, 01:56:42 PM
logman81 i don't think this is the machine for you, to expensive to fix. You need a C4

Now thats experience talking. 8)   You put a smile on my face . :) :) :)
Think like a farmer.

logman81

redprospector

A Perkins ain't all that cheap to work on either.
Sounds like you've made a decision. Good luck.  smiley_beertoast
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

logman81

Yeah but their good on fuel and reliable.  This has the AD3 152 engine. Not going to find to many skidders that are 82" wide to fit on my trailer.

logman81

Do you think running a full set of chains is a good idea on this thing?

logman81

So I'm assuming that it should be fine to run chains on all four tires as long as you use some common sense.

logman81

I talked with the owner last night and asked a bunch of questions. From what he told me it is in good shape.  It has two new rear tires, new main line and everything works. Says it will start on the coldest of days and the motor has very little time on it and is a Perkins. It has a deere 440 winch. Said the only thing it needs is a battery and fuel filter to put it back into the woods. We're going to try and get together this weekend and talk it over.

Hilltop366

Sound like a nice rig, it would be great for here with narrow wood roads.

Hope it works out for you.

logman81

Thanks hilltop it does sound like a nice machine. Hopefully things will go my way one way or another.

timberlinetree

Looks like it's easy to move. Wish I had the skills,money and a shop to redo old skidders. Some of the guys on here have some real talent and made old stuff new again. Good luck and hope it works out.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

Very easy to move fits on a common skid steer trailer and tow it with a one ton. I am one of those guys that can make old iron new again.

luvmexfood

Quote from: timberlinetree on June 13, 2015, 06:30:07 AM
Looks like it's easy to move. Wish I had the skills,money and a shop to redo old skidders. Some of the guys on here have some real talent and made old stuff new again. Good luck and hope it works out.

X2 on the rebuilding. Seems like there could be an opportunity to make some money buying older skidders and rebuilding. Course I don't really know. Just guessing.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

logman81

Yes their is a market for buying used skidders and fixing them up to re sell.

Thank You Sponsors!