iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got me a spring trucking job!!!!

Started by Woodhauler, March 17, 2011, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Started hauling for sappi fine paper in the mill yard,hauling the piledown wood to the mill. Third year i have did this and it is a job! Getting 15-20 loads a day on my wheeler and it pays by the ton! Not a get rich quick deal but it will keep the bills paid!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

lumberjack48

When i was hauling wood in to International Falls, i watched them load the trucks that hauled in to the mill.  They put 20 cords on, after there loaded they drive though to big rollers to straighten the load out, pretty slick.

I'm glad you got the job, most guys are parked on till the roads open.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JDeere

Woodhauler, you may be hauling some of my wood. We have been logging near Magalloway and sending wood to Sappi all winter. Yesterday was our last day cutting. Hope the work holds out for you.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

thecfarm

Sappi in Skowhegan? I think I know what this means,
Quotehauling the piledown wood to the mill
Is this where the cranes unload the trucks into a big pile,8 foot lengths? Really all I have ever dealt with is 8 foot here in Jay what was IP and Boise in Rumford.In Jay the pile was close enough to the channels so the cranes could load into them.The tree length was away from the mill. Now that I say this probably you are trucking what was tree length.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodhauler

Quote from: thecfarm on March 18, 2011, 08:21:06 AM
Sappi in Skowhegan? I think I know what this means,
Quotehauling the piledown wood to the mill
Is this where the cranes unload the trucks into a big pile,8 foot lengths? Really all I have ever dealt with is 8 foot here in Jay what was IP and Boise in Rumford.In Jay the pile was close enough to the channels so the cranes could load into them.The tree length was away from the mill. Now that I say this probably you are trucking what was tree length.
Yes its tree length. Did 16 loads today, started at 5 and got done at 2:30 ! Had to go buy a stake cause the big crane bent one! But the mill will go good for iot! 346.00$$$$$$$$$$$$   Last time i bought one, 200  dollars!!!!!!!!!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Black_Bear

Quote from: JDeere on March 17, 2011, 09:46:49 PM
Woodhauler, you may be hauling some of my wood. We have been logging near Magalloway and sending wood to Sappi all winter. Yesterday was our last day cutting. Hope the work holds out for you.

Bryant Road?

Ironwood

Yeah, steel is up up up. Everyone is happy when scrap is up, but the flip side is everything else is up too. I keep ALOT of used steel around for just that reason. 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Woodhauler

Well, taking a day off! Did 101 loads in 6 days! Average 23 ton per load.  They wanted us to work today but i think the trucks will be rolling in on the freeze! They are open 24/7 right now! Hope to get 3 more weeks in hauling pile down. 8)

SwampDonkey

Must be better than Irving. I know guys hauling 80 hours from the bush, their health is suffering and going behind.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodhauler

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 20, 2011, 08:03:13 PM
Must be better than Irving. I know guys hauling 80 hours from the bush, their health is suffering and going behind.  ::)
I think from what i hear,picking bottles would be better then working for King Irving :D

Meadows Miller

Gday

Good news Woodhauler the money might not be crash hot but A bird in the hands worth two in the bush Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Woodhauler

Started at 3:45am and got done at 3:30 pm, 20 loads. Will finish the pile i'm on tomorrow ,which is the farthest from the mill scales and i will get to start on the pile that is closest to the mill scales! Should gain 2-3 loads a day!

Maine372

you should get a bracket bolted on the front bumper so you dont have to move your loader out of the way of the big crane.

are they piling down under the crane or is your wood going straight into the slasher?

Woodhauler

Quote from: Maine372 on March 21, 2011, 05:47:04 PM
you should get a bracket bolted on the front bumper so you dont have to move your loader out of the way of the big crane.

are they piling down under the crane or is your wood going straight into the slasher?
When i swing it out of the way i leave it till i get to the pile! They put it in the slasher. Also us piledown trucks are really ticking off the guys hauling in from the Woods! We get to pass them and go right to the big crane. Almost get in a fist fight every day ;D

Maine372

where do you put your loader out if the way? last time i was in there most guys were putting them over the side, with the grapple down by the outrigger. i did see one center mount tractor trailer put it loader straight up in the air.  all of it looked a little sketchy to me.

SwampDonkey

Might be a bit edgy to if you had to long haul from the bush instead of the easy close stuff. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

a old timberjack

magalloway in n.h ?  i know that country well
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

a old timberjack

Quote from: Black_Bear on March 18, 2011, 05:41:41 PM

Bryant Road? is this the one in or near pittsburg n.h.??
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Woodhauler

Quote from: Maine372 on March 21, 2011, 07:05:14 PM
where do you put your loader out if the way? last time i was in there most guys were putting them over the side, with the grapple down by the outrigger. i did see one center mount tractor trailer put it loader straight up in the air.  all of it looked a little sketchy to me.
Swing it over by the outrigger! Been doing this for years down at sappi! Just leave it there while i travel to the stock pile! Saves climbing up and re settingit!

JDeere

Quote from: a old timberjack on March 21, 2011, 09:40:33 PM
Quote from: Black_Bear on March 18, 2011, 05:41:41 PM

Bryant Road? is this the one in or near pittsburg n.h.??
No, we are logging a little bit west of Magalloway, Maine right on the NH-ME border. I think the Magalloway you are talking about is in Pittsburg, NH. The Magalloway road does come from Pittsburg to the Parmacheene area which is in both NH and ME. I was out in Parmacheene today but I don't think the road from Pittsburg has been plowed, at least recently.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Black_Bear

No, we are logging a little bit west of Magalloway, Maine right on the NH-ME border. I think the Magalloway you are talking about is in Pittsburg, NH. The Magalloway road does come from Pittsburg to the Parmacheene area which is in both NH and ME. I was out in Parmacheene today but I don't think the road from Pittsburg has been plowed, at least recently.
[/quote]

As of last weekend the Magalloway Road (runs from Route 3 in Pittsburg, NH and comes out between the 6 and 7 on Parmachenee Rd.) hadn't been plowed from the Parmachenee end - it's a local snowmobile trail. The Dartmouth Grant and the Parmachenee Rd. have been rather busy this winter.  

snowstorm

how much snow is there up there now??

Black_Bear

This picture was taken around March 9th or 10th in Wilson's Mills. There is still 3-4 feet of snow in the woods.

Woodhauler

Did 101 loads last week, 85 this week,had to get done at 12 today to service my truck and get ready to haul wood this weekend out of the woods. ;D

snowstorm

Quote from: Woodhauler on March 25, 2011, 06:23:10 PM
Did 101 loads last week, 85 this week,had to get done at 12 today to service my truck and get ready to haul wood this weekend out of the woods. ;D
the big boys down the road offered me a job yesterday....not sure i should take it or not

Woodhauler

Quote from: snowstorm on March 25, 2011, 08:46:49 PM
Quote from: Woodhauler on March 25, 2011, 06:23:10 PM
the big boys down the road offered me a job yesterday....not sure i should take it or not
As long as i get to haul the wood! ;D

snowstorm

Quote from: Black_Bear on March 25, 2011, 12:00:36 PM

This picture was taken around March 9th or 10th in Wilson's Mills. There is still 3-4 feet of snow in the woods.
you were right about the snow depth.another guy and i went to stratton today snowmobile ing at 8am 15 degrees an snowing mid winter conditions easy 3 to 4 ft on the ground. some still putting wood on the ground. met a log trailer in anson .....empty.......smoke ....first 2 axles on trailer i would guess the brakes camed over. well where there should have been 4 tires there is only 4 wheels he drug those the rd so far all 4 tires came apart. checked on the way home really good skid marks for 3 miles. all on the drivers side . worst part is ya could see where he pulled over to see what was wrong. then kept on trucking for another 2.5 miles till all was toast

Woodhauler

Well just finished my 4th week on the piledown, not a bad job ! Got one more week if i'm lucky. I never seen so much wood coming into sappi at once ! Every truck in the state and as far away as vermont are hauling in there! They have the overhead crane,the letourno,and sometimes 2 24000 hood loaders unloading and the guys hauling in have a hour wait! They get really testy with the guys hauling piledown because  we get to pass them and go right to the crane. Sometimes i pass the same truck 2-3 times before they bget unloaded.I am hauling 22 tons average per load. Its mostly cut to length wood,16-18 ft stuff. I got 3 crews going back in the woods next week. Hauled 2 loads off a guy in waldoboro this am ,and saw a crew chipping on the powerline job in windser,me they was set up in a field and not a drop of mud!With the weather next week things out in the open will dry fast. ;D

SwampDonkey

The marketing board yard is getting stuffed to, I never asked them whose wood it is. They can probably pile down 5000 cords up on the hill. Sometimes they process wood for mills, weigh scale it and so on.

This was 3500 cords of white cedar back in '06.

That road goes up behind the camera man and around to the left and back down the hill in a loop. 20 feet high on the but end facing the road. You could go anywhere that winter, just a skiff like on the road.

Woodhauler

Well i finished my part of the piledown yesturday! Now its time for a week off! Need to domsome tinkering and some brook fishing! Got 3 crews going back to work!  8)

Okrafarmer

Is Sappi what used to be Scott Paper / S.D. Warren?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Woodhauler

rick f

are you back there again for 2012?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Woodhauler

Quote from: rick f on March 05, 2012, 05:33:21 AM
are you back there again for 2012?
No they haven't got enough wood for a week!  Thought i had a job at irving in dixfeild retrucking pine logs, asked them first but they took 2 local guys >:(Only 3 of us asked! Guess i will be on my old skidder this spring mudding out some hardwood for sappi!  Got a 20 acre lot on non posted road that a guy dosn't care what it looks like when its cut! Not my way of doing a jobbut thats what the landowner wants :o

Okrafarmer

Yep I grew up about 10 miles from S.D. Warren. I would climb a tall hemlock tree behind our house, and I could see the plume from the steam coming out of their mill. Had at least one friend who worked there for a long time.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!