E-Tex

what is this and/or what caused it?

Lightning?

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

I think both are branches. The top one you have just missed the knot, the lower one you have actually cut through the branch on an angle.

Eventually the branch has died and broken off, and healed over the stub, just before the tree was cut down.

Because the pattern in the growth rings goes all the way to the pith, that means that what ever created it has been there since the tree was a sapling, not some injury caused later, and I bet if you examine the bark of either that log, or the one it was cut from, you will see the signs in the bark of a healed over branch stub.

Lightning or a wind crack wont deform the growth rings in that way. They had to have grown like that, around a small branch.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

moodnacreek

A wind crack; the problem with open grown trees.

Southside

Around here that is known as a spike knot.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Banjo picker

I guess there are exceptions, but most of the time a lightning strike will kill a pine.  Oaks not as bad to die.  Just what i have seen around this area.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Texas Ranger

yup, on closer inspection what I thought was a crack, is a branch stub.  My bad.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!