iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40HD clamp uses

Started by Hale87, February 10, 2018, 07:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I'm wondering how people utilize the clamp for other purposes than it's intended purpose? One question would be, what do you use to attach to the clamp so you don't mar the surface of the cylinder?

Thanks for your help.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

Southside

I use it to flip cants quite a lot, especially tall, skinny ones. Not sure what you mean about attaching to it.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

I use the clamp with a chain and hook, to roll some logs towards the mill or to hold one on the arms when necessary.  I used to use nylon webbing straps but those inevitably break.  So I started just putting a  chain around it.  The chain stays at the top under the clamp head and I don't think it has marred the tube.  It's not a hydraulic cylinder anyway. 

I do pay attention that the chain isn't trapped when the clamp is extended all the way out.  So it doesn't risk damaging a hydraulic line.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

If the clamp is all of the way down there will be no damage because what sticks up always sticks up.  The pressure is not against the hydraulic rod but to the large rod which bears the weight when adjusting logs and even then the actual force is not excessive.  After 15 years of use, there are no marks on my rod.

Adjusting log.

Pulling log onto the loader arms.

Pulling large/heavy log onto the loader arms.

Clamp assisting the loader.  What actually happens is the the clamp pulls/rolls the log onto the loader arms which keeps the log closer to the loader pivot point. 

Here is a 20' Black Oak log that I sawed this week.  The loader alone would not budge it from the ground but with the clamp assist, the loading was effortless.

I only sawed posts and beams this week and used the clamp to flip them to prevent log turner damage as Sl just stated.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I use the clamp like the MagicMan does. I bought a used cant hook at a flea market for $5 and took the hook off the head and connected it to a 3' piece of 1/4" chain and put a hook on the other end. I use a couple of 6' X 1/4" chains with hooks on each end to connect to the log and clamp. Usually one pull will roll a contrary log over on to the arms. If not I extend the clamp and repeat till it does. I bought a small 2' long felling ax I use to drive the hook into the log. I just hook the chain at the top of the clamp.

I find on a really big log sometimes I have to use to the clamp to help turn the log as the claw can't do it by itself.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ga Mtn Man

On logs that don't reach the toe-roller you can sometimes use the clamp to both lift and clamp the log.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Sixacresand

In some cases, when I have a small cant still, i do edging,  If boards are positioned right, I can edge one side and using the clamp, flip a stack and edge to the other side.  I try every time and about 50% time it works, but only if no one is paying attention.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

I also use the clamp to lift the front end of a log that doesn't reach the front toe roller.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

We cut 7x9 railroad ties and a lot of 3x4 from side material.  We cut the 3'' stuff off the log and use the clamp to get under the log and roll it backwards, sliding the 3'' off onto the loader arms. When the tie is sawn out we use the dragback to get it off the bed and load the 3x stuff back on the sawmill bed and stand them up using the clamp so we an cut them into 4'' pieces. It works real slick, and Scott has gotten good enough with it he rarely has to touch one of those heavy thick pieces.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I could not turn the 20' Black Oak log pictured above.  It took using the turner and clamp in tandem to turn it.  Raise the log using both and then lower the clamp which allows the log's weight against the turner to gradually turn the heavy log.

Yes, standing flitches is a regular activity.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I nearly always edge against the cant especially when cutting 4/4 or smaller. I cut the cant on the 4th face down to 3-1/4" (one of my marks to run out without a thick or thin board), stop and stand up the flitches off that same cant/log and edge them then go back and saw the cant to the rails (3 more boards). When edging wide flitches I may stop at the 5-1/2" mark or another one based on how wide a board I can get. At 3-1/4" I can edge down to a 1X4 and still clear my clamp and side supports/cant.

When edging a single board and no cant I lay a finished 1X4 on its side and use the clamp to hold it upright. The long 1X4 holds pressure the whole length of the flitch better than just clamping in the middle at one point. Marty Parson showed me this tip and it has been very helpful.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

CCCLLC

Reading all the uses for the two plane clamp, impressive. Just recently upgraded to a new "wide" with this camp and can't wait to get comfortable with it over my older lt40. This clamp sound indestructible. Reverse roll QS, impressive.  What do I need to watch for not to tear it up. Thanks for all the valuable info everyone openly shares here!

slider

You won't do much damage by sawing into it. I happen to know this from experience.
al glenn

CCCLLC

Oh yea, if my past is any indicator, I'll be there. My older claw turner tells the story.

terrifictimbersllc

I watch out that a very heavy cant does not go sliding out into the clamp head. Happens when tipping a tall cant over towards the backstops  using the clamp. When it starts going over lower the clamp head so the cant doesn't ram it out, there's a lot of force there.

terrifictimbersllc

Also make sure the clamp is all the way in before towing the mill or you'll bend its parts underneath if they hit something.

CCCLLC

Thanks, looks like the learning curve begins again. Keeps my mind young.

Thank You Sponsors!