iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT28 19 HP Kohler ready for pickup. Is powerfeed a good choice?

Started by Subururban600, June 06, 2018, 07:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subururban600

Hi, I'm Jim.  I have about 48 acres of forest with trails.  I've got had about a 45 year recess from milling...since I worked the green end on and old timey circle saw mill with saws, belts and chains running all over the place.

Anyway forest needs thinning and I'd rather do it than have all the mess and destruction that the big loggers bring. My forest consultant asked if I had considered milling and selling...said it would be much more profitable in addition to less destructive.

I Have 50 hp tractor.  I want mobility...saw to timber vs timber to saw.

I was looking at the LT15 with a trailer package...but like the simplicity quick setup of the LT28 monorail system.

The LT28 that is ready for me to pickup has the powerfeed, manual log handling system.  I am concerned about the powerfeed...looks like there are a lot of posts about motors and belts.  Should I be concerned?

The manual rope crank system seems to be bullet proof.  I can change my order.
Jim

WDH

Definitely go with the powerfeed.  It is tried and true and proven.  It will definitely improve your productivity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bags

I installed a power feed on my HM130--- raised my production by at least 50%--- cant see be'in without it now.

caveman

The power feed was offered as an incentive when we purchased our lt-28 in 2010.  We would not have bought it w/o the power feed.  It has served us well and although our mill is manual, once we get logs turned into cants, we can produce lumber relatively efficiently.  I would compare not having power feed to using a small wheeled push mower vs. a self propelled or good high wheeled mower.

Good luck when you resume sawing.
Caveman

Southside

The more machinery can do for you the better your production will be, not to mention the reduced excess wear and tear on your body.  Sawing is physical enough that there is no need to intentionally add to exercise component.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Subururban600

Jim

CX3

Absolutely get power feed. And all other hydraulic and electric options for it lol
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!