iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poison ivy ???

Started by Camp Run Farm, September 18, 2005, 06:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camp Run Farm

I got a WM mill in April and have had what I thought was poison ivy ever since.  I have been sawing mostly hemlock for barns, sheds and fencing.  At one point the poison ivy was so bad that I had to quit sawing.  It was interesting that the rash showed up symmetrically on my body, where ever I got it on the right side it was the same place on the left side, even the tops of my feet.  I went to the doctor, got a shot, took prednazone, wore every potion and lotion made, wore a disposable bio hazard suit when I was sawing and I still got it!

Carol did some research on the internet and found a site that described allergies to sawdust, it seems that hemlock sawdust can cause an allergic reaction that appears just like poison ivy, it is from breathing the dust.  I have been wearing a dust mask, the cannister type, and it seems like that is the answer.  I have noticed that the rash is disappearing.  The dust mask is a good idea even if the sawdust doesn't  bother you.  I am including the link to the site. 

Hemlock Sawdust Link

I just thought if someone out there was having the same problem this may help them.

Ed

Paschale

;)  That sure is one long link!

Thanks for the info.  Did it itch and make you miserable like poison ivy too?  That musta been no fun at all!   :-\
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

sjh

Watch out for black wallnut too. I know a guy who spent 3 weeks in the hospital after cutting black wallnut. Apparently the same toxin that kills a horse can do it to some peaple.

Mtnjack

Its the orange i tell you the orange.

Camp Run Farm

The rash looked and acted just like poison ivy.  I have been sawing for about a week pretty regularly, all hemlock and even though I still have the rash it is much less since I have been wearing the respirator.  Hmmm, maybe I am just getting used to scratching!!!

I have a friend that got very sick turning a bowl from a piece of spalted wood.  I am really a believer in wearing a respirator now!!

Thank You Sponsors!