iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sure miss sawing!!!

Started by Brian_Bailey, December 09, 2002, 06:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

It's gonna be a long winter!

I'm sawing up a soft maple log into 4/4rw for paneling during warm weather !!!

After the lumber was dried, machined, and installed, this is what it looks like. The mirror/coat hanger is made out of red elm. By the way this is in my woodshop.

THINK SPRING :)

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

GarryW

Very nice paneling!!

Spring -- you mean black fly season. ;o That's one reason that I like to saw in the winter.

And yesterday while I was sawing, someone stopped by and I have another job to do when he gets the trees cut down next month.
Garry

Bibbyman

Years ago my old uncle sawed out a house on his circle sawmill pulled by a steam engine.  He used hard maple for board and batten on the outside.  After he got the house done,  he got to thinking about that maple and replaced it with oak.  He used the maple to build some furniture as it had a lot of fiddle-back and other character.

BTY,  we had a 96 WM with the 35 Wisconsin.  It ran great but heavy. Has yours got the rubber engine mount bushings or the aluminum?  The rubber bushings went out on ours and we replaced them with the aluminum bushings. If you ever have to change them out,  I've got pictures of how I did it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brian_Bailey

Bibby - I wouldn't want to try lifting the Wisc. without some mechanical advantage for sure!  Yes, it has rubber mounts and I had the front one work its way out. I was puzzled for awhile wondering why the engine was tipped a bit until I found out why.  It wasn't too hard of a job getting the mount back in. Thanks for the offer, if I decide to change them over I'll get in touch with you. Sure like that 4 cyl. sound when it's idling, dont care for it when its reved up though.

GarryW - Black flies, I call them punkies. They certainly are a pain at times. I use Avon skin so soft, it seems to to keep them at bay. Now the deer flies, they are something else !
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

sawyerkirk

Brian, If you need a temporary fix, you can come to Southern Indiana and help me saw for a few days.

Bibbyman

I used a 4x4 over the top of the sawhead frame and then strapped it down with a larger load binder to the main rail.  Then I used a smaller load binder around the engine.  I just raised or lower the sawhead using the up/down adjustment to just take the weight off the mounts.  Worked like a charm.  Had to wiggle the engine a little getting the bushing and pivot rod back into place.

Rubber bushings pushing out.

How I suspended the engine using 4x4 and load binders.

Another view.

Using a bar to wiggle the new bushings in place.

Here are the old rubber bushings.

Here is what the new bushings look like.
Sawing since '94

Brian_Bailey

Sawyerkirk- I just might take you up on your offer, a little warning though, I worked for the state so I'm use to leaning against the shovel watching others do the work  :D.

Bibbyman- I tried your link, the wrong page opened.

Bibbyman

Yea, them turkeys,  they changed how it worked.  I'll do something tomorrow to fix it.  

Mary says; "Get off'n that PC and come to bed!"  

YES Maude,  I'z a'comin' 8)
Sawing since '94

DanG

Brian, I can only dream of having panelling that nice in my house. My shop interior consists of rough 2x4's, creosote poles, and the back-side of the tin roof and walls. Ambience is provided by a spectacular array of cobwebs, and the occasional wysteria vine, finding it's way in. On the plus side, if the floor gets messed up, in any way, I can just rake it smooth again. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Brian_Bailey

Bibbyman - thanks for the pictures. Were those Alum. bushings an up grade from WM ?  My rubber ones seem to be ok for now, so I better leave well enough alone.

DanG - You've got a mill, right? Shouldn't be no dreaming.

The pole barn that's my shop now was just a drafty dirt floor sawing shed. I needed to get my woodworking shop out of the cellar of the house. So I fixed it up to give me some room to work in. I have to keep shades on the windows so the Tax assessor cant look in an have an excuse to raise my assessment.

DanG

Thanks Brian. You've just given me another excuse to not do anything about my shop. If the tax man looked at it, he would want to give me money. 8) 8) :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

Yea, Brian, they are... The WM guys say the Wisconsin engine is the heaviest they put on the mills - at least that year.  It's made out of IRN! ;)

What's hard to see is ... in the top picture there is about a 3/16 gap between the hinge rod and the inside top of the bushing.  Over about 20 hours of running it,  I had to keep adjusting the main belt tension.  (I like to keep the main belt tight!)  Then one day I noticed that the engine was leaking oil around the oil drain hose.  Found that when the engine was engaged, the oil drain fitting would press agains the frame.  What's the deal??? So  I got to looking  :o and spotted the bushing squirtin' out.   :(  Called WM and good ol' Greag Bear fixed me up with new aluminum ones.
Sawing since '94

Noble_Ma

The engine ( 20 HP Honda ) is bolted hard to the frame. There really isn't any vibrations in the head rig?  Do you think there will be an issue later on as the mill gets more hours on it?

Thank You Sponsors!