iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help needed

Started by bedway, June 30, 2006, 10:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

hi folks, been following this forum for quite a while and totally enjoy the discussions and information shareing. figured i better join instead of lurking :D anywho,,heres my problem. i have a small woodworking business and have been a woodworker for some 30 years. i have the property and the timber to justify a mill.  im not intending to cut volumes, just for myself and some friends. nows where i need your help in good sound reasons to convince the wife i need a mill. the last time i i went this route was to get a kubota, and she still thinks i got that as a necessity,,little does she know ;D. this is gonna take some team work, and im sure you people are up to the task.          thanks in advance and ill be waiting for all your replys.

bedway

Tom

Sometimes you don't need a reason to get something.  We forget that sometimes.  We scrape and skimp through life trying to find the justification to do or get things we want and, many times, never do because we are justifying it with the wrong criteria.

You can justify things according to need, but you can also justify it according to want.   I have a truck that I bought new in '93.  I needed a truck.  I didn't need that truck.  It is a Chevrolet Kodiak C60 with a Cat 3116 and a 16 foot bed.  I love my truck. ;D   I could have gotten a one ton.  But you know what?  I wanted this one.

When people ask me "why do you have a big old truck like that?"  I reply "Because I wanted it".  See, they're thinking I should be doing local hauling to make money with it every day.  I'm thinking that I can put everything I need for the saw business on it, stretch out in the cab (with its AC and Radio), hook the sawmill to the back and play trucker.  Yep, I could haul lumber or logs if I need to.  It just makes me feel so rich to have everything at my finger tips.

I bought a fountain pen once that made me realize I could do what I wanted.  It was a Mont Blanc that I saw in a jewelry store in New York City.  It's an El Grande Meisterstück 149 (resin and gold) and is a double handful.   I love fountain pens.  My Granddaddy told me once that the only thing that would outlive us is our signature.  Because of that, we should work on having a legible and distinctive one.  I used to practice a lot.  When I saw this pen, it just looked like something that was needed to sign mortgages, contracts and things with.    $$$$!  Yes, it was big bucks.  That was what stopped me at first.  Then, the next Christmas, I was moping around the office thinking of this pen and decided "who are you trying to impress?".  I picked up the phone and ordered the pen. 

Banks and car salesmen hate to see me come, now.  All their paper work (I hate it that they make customers sign all that stuff) is made with carbon-less paper that they have maticulously arranged in a stack so that you can sign it with a ball-point and they can get on to more important things.  Well, my signature is important to me.   I reach to my front shirt pocket and retrieve my Meisterstück 149 with the flair of Ed Norton and begin to sign their papers, one at a time, disassembling the stack as I go.  What a look of Chagrin crosses the face of the salesman when he realizes that he is going to be there a while.  ::)

When asked why I did such a stupid thing as to buy that pen when a pencil or 50¢ ball point would do the same job, my answer is "because I wanted it.".  ;D

As I get older, I realize that I have wants the same as everyone else.  Why am I always the one to skimp and save so that I can give someone else what they want?  Yeah, you have to be careful that you don't become selfish and only consider yourself.  But, there are some things you will never have if you don't go get it yourself.  What is the justification?   "I wanted it."

Now, which sawmill were you considering?  :P :D

Stephen1

That is by far the best description I have heard, because it is so true. When I told the missus that I wanted a sawmill after I finnished the cabin she agreed, just like that. She had seen me out in the yard with the chainsaw mill getting little bits of lumber out of lots of work.
I am considering the norwood because they are 8 miles away from my sugar bush, just trying to decide weather I need hydraulics.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Radar67

Tom, that was spoken like a true poet, oh how true you are. I've spent way too much time justifying things, time that could have been spent enjoying the use of the item.  ;)

Welcome to the forum bedway!

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

bedway

well guys i just came in from my shop to check for replys nd have some lunch. first off,, the wife didnt make it home for lunch so i got to eat what i want. im setting here working on some left over taters and steak, covered with some fried eggs.,,, ya got to get that cholesterol up where it needs to be :D  tom,,some excellent points in your reply. the first obstacle i need to overcome is i mistakenly told the wife how hard i work fetchin logs firewood etc.,,i gotta quit that fibbin. her comment is how in the world do you expect to saw logs on a mill when you talked about how tired you got  working on firewood,,,,,,,,,,,does this fall into that,,(open mouth insert foot category)? ive been watching for a used mill. went an auction a few weeks ago prepared to bid up to 2000.00 for a used woodmiser. some dingaling city slicker came in and ran the bid up to 6500.00. from what i can tell the mill would sell in the 7000.00 neighborhood new. some people just got more money than sence.. i should a known he was driveing one one them hum vee thingys. well the tataers, eggs and steak are gone so i guess i better get back out for now.  i really appreciate the replys guys,,keep em comeing,,,and yes, if a man speaks in the forest and a womans not around to hear him hes still wrong,,,,,,,,,or so ive been told! ;D                   bedway

twoodward15

Tom, you mind if I copy that and hang it on my fridge??
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

WH_Conley

The exercise from sawing will help get rid of that meal. :D

Didn't work for me, I just ate more, but I'm the healthiest fat person you ever saw. ;D
Bill

Cedarman

In one way that is the nice thing about a WM.  They just don't depreciate the way a car does.  Bedway, if you buy a really good used mill, it will still hold a great amount of value if you decide to sell when you upgrade.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

gary

Hi Bedway welcome to the forum. You could tell her that it is cheaper to buy a used mill than pay to have someone  come mill them for you.  how far so of erie are you? I am in sharon.
  Stephen you really will want the hydrualics.

tcsmpsi

Well, let's see...already familiar with woodworking, have property and trees
....hmmmm....woodworking/trees/wood...yep, no doubt of it.  How could one possibly NOT have a mill?
And, already have a Kubota?  
All the justification is clear and present.

And...what Tom said.  

Some things are just a matter of Life.   ;)

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

thecfarm

You sure can saw your own wood alot cheaper off your own land than you can go buy it.This is why I have a mill.I'm still not done building,but I know the mill has paid for itself.Try to get as much labor savings options as you can.Mine is a all manual mill,but that is what I wanted.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

getoverit

Welcome to the forum bedway!

All this while I have been looking for a really good reason why I just bought my 3rd sawmill in the last 6 months..... I think I have the reason now that Tom has so plainly stated it ;D

Go for the hydraulics ! My last mill is a home made rig, but the FF member that made it really put a LOT of thought into it and it does everything except offbear the boards for you. Hydraulics is the way to go !
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

PineNut

I am new to the forum also and I just went through a "can I justify it" also. If I put dollars to the test, the answer would be no.  But there comes a time in life when if you want to do something, then DO IT. I probably should have done it much earlier.

I bought a Cooks saw MP-32 back in the winter to clean up the Katrina wood and it is helping to keep me young. But with 175 acres of woodland, it should stay active cleaning up the culls.

I have enjoyed reading the forum and have obtained a lot of information that has helped me make decisions on what to look for in a mill and support equipment. Also a lot information on treatment for bugs and we have a lot of those critters here in southwest Mississippi.

getoverit

Welcome to the forum PineNut!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

UNCLEBUCK

I want a fountain pen  smiley_scholar  . I remember watching Laurel & Hardy alot and watching the fountain pens go off in Jimmy Finlaysons face  :D    All sawmills are good  ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Faron

My brother and I went to visit a mill before we bought one.  The old boy running the mill looked at us and said "You two are a couple of big boys (six foot and 250+), but you still ain't big enough that you don't need a hydraulic mill!"   We bought a hydraulic mill, and think he gave us some real good advice, 11 years later.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Raphael

I've been flipping cants bare handed and/or with a cant hook for four years now.
I've spent at least 18 of those ~48 months with at least one sprained wrist if not two.

You Need Hydraulics!
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Shawn

Welcome to the forum Bedway.

Amen to Tom!!! Get what you want, because you only live once! No sense laying on our death bed regreating what we should have done. If you have the means, DO IT!!! I am a woodworker as well and can say that my soon-to-be-completed mill will save me a lot of cabbage for years to come. Just remember the old saying about teaching a man to fish! Sorry about all the cliches.

Shawn...
Change is part of the design process.

Admit nothing, Deny everything, Make counter-accusations

Don K

Welcome to the Forum bedway and Pinenut.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

LeeB

I been running a little manuel mill for 5 years now. It has served my purposes quite well. I bought it to help out with my woodworking hobby costs. Now my real hobby is cutting wood. I'll be moving up next to Arky pretty soon and told my wife I was thinking I might want to get a new and bigger mill. Lucky me, she just said no doubt about it, a bigger better is a must. ;D LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

timcosby

welcome and you don't need hydraulics.
i have the ground higher on one side of my mill and drag the logs to there and roll them with a cant hook onto the bed. it almost rolls itself on, some i can roll on with my foot.

high side is on the left.
now if i was trying to lift them up a foot or two onto the mill.... that would be another story. hydraulics would be nice to have but you can add later. i bought a norwood lumberlite 24 with a 6.5 hp new for $3000 including shipping. it does everything you and i would need because we are not cutting to make money selling lumber. you can cut so much lumber you will run out of room to stack it too! figure up how much oak or what ever from the big box store it would take to cost $3000. bet you could cut that much in a month sawing in the evenings, poof mill paid for itself!!! i just got a new 13 hp honda clone engine off of ebay for $210 i intend to swap the engines out and use the 6.5 for an edger or hydraulics.... not that you need hydraulics it would just be nice (luxury) to have.
1. sawmill
2. cant hook
3. anchoreseal
4. cut lots of stickers
5. read all you can on drying

Rancher

Amen Tom,
   My wife spends about $1000. on flowers every summer. Why? Because she wants them. You can't enjoy them when you're gone. Can't argue with sound logic.
If you're honest you don't have to trust your memory.

Todd

Bedway...welcome!  Get whatever mill YOU think works best for you, and your brain will rationalize the rest ;)

Tom...great post. So many people today NEED a new car and the finest what-not, but I have a sense the people on this forum are old school and tend to make do or have to justify everything.  I know I've been bitter about not having things and trying to "be responsible" while those around me aren't; and your post made me think maybe I do have to lighten up and indulge more often.  (spoken on Saturday after I already gave the wife my check to put in the bank....maybe next week ::) )
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

jpgreen

Quote from: Tom on June 30, 2006, 11:52:04 AMI reach to my front shirt pocket and retrieve my Meisterstück 149 with the flair of Ed Norton ...

;D................... :D :D :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

brdmkr

Welcome to the forum, but watch out for the sawmill.  I used to consider myself a hobbiest woodworker.  Now that I have a mill I collect lumber 8)  I just seem to saw, sticker, and dry.  I really haven't done much with the lumber.  I enjoy cutting it more than building with it.  Of course, that is about to change.  Really, it is.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Thank You Sponsors!