iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

how do you clean your thin kirf sawmill blades?

Started by Robert Long, January 18, 2007, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Long

>:( I just spent most of my evening cleaning sawmill blades before sharpening them....

When out cutting custom work I cut logs of many spiecies and when blades get dull I just replace them and move on.....but when I get home I spend lots of time scraping off the hard sap with a paint scraper before putting them on the sharpening system.

What do YOU do?

:-\  Robert

Tom

I run the blade lube full bore (water) until the blade is clean.  Then I take it off.  :)

Fla._Deadheader

If the dull one IS clean, wipe it down with an oily rag, before folding.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

treebucker

Run it full speed with the water off then spray/wipe it with your favorite brew (WD40/diesel/kerosene/etc.) before removing it.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Brad_S.

I run a diesel oil drip and do the same- clean it before it comes off. Sometimes I may need to open the drip to saturate the blade and then hold a stick to the blade if there is a heavy, gummy buildup.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Larry

Your band should be clean while your sawing...if you have a build up of sap your probably not running nuff lube when sawing.

But if you get sap build up, do as Tom suggested.

And if you have a build up on bands waiting to be re-sharpened just spray them down with oven cleaner and wipe off the sap in bout 5 minutes.

And don't think you can use oven cleaner on carbide table saw blades...it's lye and weakens carbide.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteAnd don't think you can use oven cleaner on carbide table saw blades...it's lye and weakens carbide.

Never knew that, Larry. Thanks
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Robert Long

Thanks Larry

Now to have a carbide band saw woodmill......

Robert

Robert Long

Thanks for the suggestions all......but :-\

Won't the blade run off the pulleys with a lube like 10w or kerosene added and what can be added to the water to help with sap build-up?

Robert

arj

I use carb cleaner before I take the blade off the mill, just a lite spray
and it scraps off easily.
                                      arj

woodmills1

use 50 50 diesel/bar oil all the time from squirt bottle.  I run it on every blade till clean before removing.  Got tired of scraping.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Minnesota_boy

You can add a bit of dish soap to help with the sap or you can do like me and keep the blades really sharp and not run lube at all (well hardly).  ;D

Disclaimer:  There are some species that even I have to run lube to keep the blade from gumming up.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ohsoloco

Robert, when I'm cutting something that's really sappy like spruce, pine, or tamarack I mix a few ounces of Dawn dish soap in with my water.  Last year I cut some red pine for someone that had them stacked for over a year.  I figured they'd be easy to cut....y'know, maybe less sappy since they sat for a while  ::)  I couldn't make more than one cut without the blade getting all gummed up and then taking a dive in the cant.  Put some dish soap in the water and it cleared right up  ;)  

Minnesota_boy beat me to it  :D

Tom

For the most part, all I run is water in varying amounts.  Sometimes 1/3 cup to the gallon of dish soap like palmolive.

getoverit

PineSol mixed with the lube water helps keep the blades clean when you are sawing pine. With other woods like sweet gum, I just run an extra good stream of water while cutting to keep the blades clean.

Side note:
If you mix dish washing detergent and water for lube, it can cause the water jug to fill with foam and you will be hours trying to fill it up with a hose the next time you fill the tank. Dont ask me how I know this :D :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ohsoloco

Robert Long

Hey...Minessota-boy

May be we should talk about sharpening to solve the other problems?

Robert

Brad_S.

Quote from: Robert Long on January 18, 2007, 09:10:29 PM
Won't the blade run off the pulleys with a lube like 10w or kerosene added

I don't know if it's the same with a WM, but if too much lube throws the blade on mine, it's a sign the wheel belts are way past worn out. A good crown on the wheel keeps the blade on no matter how much lube is applied.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

rewimmer

Hello Robert,
I saw a lot of the gummy pine here in Virginia. We use a lot of pine-sol in our water and see a lot of bubbles. We never have sap on the blades when we change them. Something else we have had problems with is sap on the rails and under the guards. I had a brain storm a few weeks ago and cleaned the rails and guards real good. Then sprayed the heavy with PAM and have gone 3 blade changes with no sap on rails. I just wipe the rails with paper towel and spray on more. The buildup under the guards just wipes with a paper towel also. Sam's has the best price on both items.

Robert in Virginia

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Robert Long on January 18, 2007, 09:32:33 PM
May be we should talk about sharpening to solve the other problems?

I cheat.  I send my blades to Woodmizer Resharp.

I only saw on site which means that lots of times a quite a ways from home.  When I have to spend lots of road time getting to the job and back, I try to put as much sawing time in a day as I can so I come home really tired. (maybe it's because I'm getting old)  I really don't feel much like sharpening blades then, nor do I feel like sharpening on the weekend (sometimes I'm sawing then too) and I've never been able to get my blades quite as sharp as the Resharp guys.  Really sharp blades make really nice lumber.  It impresses the customer who then brag to their neighbors who then hire me to do their sawing.  I haven't advertised in 9 years and usually have more sawing to do than I have time to do.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

DR Buck

I use the Wood-Mizer blade lube and get almost no sap buildup.   I also keep the blade lube applied at a faster rate if I start to see any buildup begin.

Also, I had a "blade expert" from a well known sawmill manufacturing company  ;D :-X ;D  tell me if I didn't want to spend the money on the WM lube, I could just mix pinesol and a little vegitable oil in the water.   I tried this and wasn't happy with the results.  I may have used to much vegitable oil because the overspray gummed up the mill and made things sticky.   

I'm back to buying the WM lube.  :)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Ivey

I mostly have only have cut pine, and hickory. I have been using
   water (5gal.) and pinesol lemon fresh (2cups) no sap build up at all
   smells good too!!

Ivey

Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Robert Long

eh eh Ivey (I'm Canadian)

I know what you mean, I've used some real nice smelling dish soap once and the people around the mill were talking!

Robert

Robert Long

Dr-Buck

Perhaps you were using vegetable oil with transfats.......not good for the arteries of the mill!

:D :D

Robert

Thank You Sponsors!