iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody familiar with auto setter that can handle different blades?

Started by Kelvin, February 26, 2007, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
Well, i think i posted to soon that the dino setter was great for me.  You see i'm cheap and try keep my blades going for as long as possible, and that means the set gets all over the place.  With my old woodmizer manual setter i can see each tooth as i bend it and each one is certainly not at the same set.  the Dino setter is probably real good when the set goes out uniformly, and with blades that are exactly the same, but as you mix in anything different thickness, height, and little different begining set, you end up with bad setting results. 
Does anybody know if say, the suffolk setter is better able to handle different degrees of set, with different thickness and height of blades?  Any other manufacturer?  Maybe manual is the only way to go, are there any easier manual ones than the woodmizer i have?  It takes 15 mins to set a blade, which is a little tiresome and you have to be real careful zeroing them out, or you set them all wrong.  Any hints would be helpful.  I've been switching blades between my woodmizer and my dino setter for hours and hours trying to get a happy medium, as the dino setter has no gauge on it.  I adjust, than set, than switch over to check results, inside out, upside down, inside up each blade one thousand times, than start with a different blade a little different set, height, and AUGHHH!  Start all over.  Very hard to know what the adjustments are doing without a gauge telling you what is happening right away.  Maybe Dino setter should think about a gauge on their machine so people can tell whats happening.
Help!
kelvin

kelLOGg

The only automatic setter I know of is a new offering by Cook. It's pretty pricey at 4000$. Clearly it's for the production people.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Tom

I still like the Wood Mizer setter.  Just plug along.  After all, you only need 3 or four blades a day.  Starting the day with 6 should be ample.

SAW MILLER

I have a dina setter and what I do is put on a magnifier and look real good at the set on a new blade.You will find that the tooth sets out by half the thickness of the blade or about 21 thou.
next,I adjust both sides of my setter so the used blade looks like the new blade.set it out half of the tooth thickness.It will end up 20 to 23 thou. and thats close enough for me.I have read that you need more set for wider cuts.That being said,some of my logs I am cutting 12 inches wide but I may come to a wider part that is 18 inches widewithin the same log.The next log may be 24 inches wide then comes a 9 incher.I have found that a half a tooth set will work on most logs.
  But,I like you do wish there was a gauge on the dina setter.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

BBTom

I understand what you mean, Kelvin.  I tried a different sharpening service, and found out that they must use a Dino,  all the blades came back inside out, and set was not uniform.  Good enough most of the time for rough cut lumber, but about 5 of the 35 blades I sent to them did not cut straight.  I tried them because they pick up and deliver for $6.50 a blade.  My blades will go back to WM ReSharp from now on, until I find someone who does it right for less.  

You might try what I do.  I will sharpen a blade two or three times, then when it needs set, send it to ReSharp.  I have very few problems that way.  Blades that hit something go directly into the ReSharp box.  When a blade doesn't cut just right, back it goes.

I am set up to get replacement blades for any rejects, so when they get down to about 1" wide or are really messed up or cracked, a new blade shows up in the returned batch.  I figure it costs me about $10.00  for 3 sharpenings. $8 for ReSharp and $2 for grinding materials and electric.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

LOGDOG

Kelvin,

Consider adding a clamp on dial indicator to your Dino Setter. See it here: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/set_gauge.asp

About $100.00 to skip the back and forth. You may still find the need to go back to your WM setter though to tighten up the odd tooth or two that may be out. I've used this type of clamp on indicator before though with good success.

The thing about setting teeth is that it can take more or less pressure to set a tooth depending on all kinds of factors. Takes a smart machine to know how much is the right amount. Hope the link helps.

LOGDOG

logwalker

Kelvin, you might go back and read my post in your other topic on the Dino setter. I ran into the same issues as you. It is important that you stay with the same brand and thickness band for good results. And also do you have the little gage that came with the setter. If you use it with the magnifier light you can quickly adjust the setter to give adequate results. I am happy with the results that I am getting now. I am not going back to manual setting. It just takes to DanG long. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Thank You Sponsors!