iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aircraft grade basswood?

Started by beenthere, August 22, 2003, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Anyone heard of anyone marketing an aircraft grade basswood product, that might be used as a substitute for aircraft grade spruce?  Aircraft grade spruce is sitka spruce used to make spars and such in wood aircraft wings and other parts.

Mainly interested in learning if there is such a product from basswood, and a supplier.

Any info would be appreciated.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

I'll let you know Monday, I have a co-worker that builds ultra light aircraft.

biziedizie

Hey I can answer that today. :)
  My uncle just called and he's been building planes for years. He said that basswood is used for plywood on planes but if it's strong enough it can be used to build spars.
  He said that you need to know the density, the strength and the weight of the wood to know if it's any good.
  Yellow cedar would be a good choice aswell if you can get it.

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Concerning Basswood. I know it is used for carving. I am not sure if it has growth rings, but, doesn't growth rings make the wood strong and stable ??
  Occasionally, I find Basswood 4 X 4's washed up on the beach here. Nearly always, one end has been broken off. Just curious here, I have NO plans on building an aerio plain. ::) ::) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

biziedizie

FLD isn't your crutches made out of basswood??? ;D

BTW how's the hoof??? Feeling any better???

Steve

Jeff

Harold, are you thinking of Balsa? Basswood does have growth rings.

http://www.budres.com/basswood.shtml
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

I've not played much with Basswood. The stuff I mentioned, looks somewhat like Mahogany grain. It is fairly light after it dries. It is pretty easy to carve. I know it is NOT Balsa. It weighs about the same as that whitewood crap that HD sells for 2 X 4's. I never saw a Linden log???
  Leg is beginning to hurt some, above where it is busted. Must be all the Lig's and Tenderlins and muskles that were stretched??? Still has a little swelling. Need to keep it elevated??? Ever try to relieve yerself with one foot elevated???  I ain't into barking  ::) ::)
   Uhhh Diz, think Aluminum.
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

You have tin crutches??? You own a mill and you have tin crutches???  :D :D
  My gawd man you must make yourself some wooden crutches. ;D ;D

BTW that muscle feeling thingy that's going on will do that for awhile :'( :'( A year later and it still happens to me.....

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, after bustin my leg, the family won't let me near the garage OR tools  ::)???
   I been slowly sneakin out to the garage and working on the Drum Sander. Got caught the other day and was read the riot act :o Youda thought a had another woman stashed out there. ::) ::)  Today, I talked my son into taking me out to spend money. Enjoyed it too  ;D :D :D :D

Did I tell y'all that I already fell off these stinkin sticks twice, and, now my wrist hurts too  ::) ::) :o >:( >:(
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Harold doesn't it just sux not being able to be a human??? :D
  My Doc told me to not do anything and relax for a bunch of weeks..........five minutes after being home I was roller-bladeing. ;D ;D
  I think that moving around helps things heal better plus it's good for the mind. 8)
  I guess you can still drive the boat as you don't need any hooves to operate one of them. :)

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, my boat can be DRIVEN with NO legs. It's the runnin of the winch and chaining the logs fast and keeping the diver in sight and watching for the other boaters and pulling the dive gear aboard, etc., etc. that takes the leg work. ::) ::)
  Maybe in 2 weeks ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

Harold I'm gonna try to be nice here. :) :) My Doc told me I'd be out of a cast in 6 to 8 weeks...........8 months later..... ::) :o :'( :'(  I think age makes bones grow slower. :-[
  This time last year I couldn't wash my hair or do dishes with one arm. :D :D Had to shave my head and buy plastic forks and spoons. :D :D  

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

Diz, yer waaaay up there with a short growing season. Down here, we grow things year round. ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

biziedizie

:D :D :D :D You the man Harold  :D :D :D 8) 8)

Steve

Fla._Deadheader

YOU TOO, DIZ   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!