iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Premium Goldline bands missing a tooth

Started by Coalsmoke, November 23, 2009, 01:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coalsmoke

I'm in the process of switching my bands over to Woodmizer Double Hards and am using up all the Norwood blades I have. I have noticed that so far on two of the bands this month they have been made short by one tooth. Luckily there's just enough travel in the saw's tension adjuster to be able to get them on the band wheels. You'd think a person would get perfect bands when they cost $35.

Anyone notice this with their bands as well or is this just Norwood's trick? Makes using the semi-auto tooth setter on them a bit of a pain too.
Visit Coalsmoke's website at www.coalsmoke.com

2008 Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 with Honda 20HP engine.
White 2-60 Field Boss > 65HP Tractor with loader.
Husky Chainsaws 353 and 395XPG heavily modified.
Loving wife who endorses all of the above :)

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Coalsmoke

Not yet. I have a case of the Woodmizer bands sitting here just waiting to be tried, so I'll give them a run first.

ohsoloco

I bought a box of blades from Norwood when I first picked up my mill.  Besides being ridiculously overpriced, I recall that the gullet where the weld was located was a little longer than the rest, and the finger on the sharpener wouldn't  grab the next tooth.  This was 8 years ago.

Tom

With most band blade shops, the welded area will differ from the rest of the band.  There are some that do a very good job and some welders who just don't understand.  I've gotten some were the teeth at the weld site were almost on top of one another and then I've gotten some where the bulk of both gullets was used and the teeth were a long way apart.   If I had my choice, of the two errant designs, I think I would prefer the far apart one. 

It's always recommended to start at the weld for setting and sharpening procedures. It gives you a start/stop place, but it also allows you to bypass or remedy bad configurations.   Even with a good shop, you will get some welds that could have been better.  They just get into a hurry, I think.   I don't think that it has anything to do with economics, especially as far down the ladder the welder is from the Accounting department.

ladylake

Where I buy my blades 2 different people weld them, 1 has them spaced far apart , the other spaced even. I prefer the far apart also, helps with sharpening and setting.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

I've never noticed a difference in "tooth spacing" at the weld, but that don't mean there isn't a difference!
I alway start at the weld and stop the sharpener before the weld is touched again at the end.
I've always used .045-10° Wood-Mizer Double Hard bands.  Prior to that, on my FIL's mill we used .042-10° Double Hard bands.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

paul case

ive been using timberwolf bands  and have very good luck with them. i never broke one a the weld. i have found 3 or 4 out of 50 that have 2 welds. they do such a good job at getting them put together with the right spacing between teeth at the joint that if you dont look close you wont notice the splice. the 2 splices have not caused me any problems.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ohsoloco

I need to find out where I get my blades from  :-\  My dad streams polka stations on the computer, and years ago heard a commercial for a shop in the Chicago area that makes bandsaw blades.  I always ask for a box of blades for Christmas, so I never had the need to buy any myself for years  :)  The tooth spacing is perfect and consistent on all of the blades I've received from this shop.  No need to look for the weld for sharpening, I just use a Sharpie to mark where I start.  I have to find the weld for setting since the set changes there, and it takes me a long time to find 'em sometimes.

ladylake

A couple of reason I like the teeth spaced at the weld are it's easy to find the weld and my sharpener stops when it gets to the weld. I'll be telling the guy that spaces them even to space them apart a little.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ohsoloco

I prefer them this way  ;)  When I put a blade on the sharpener, I usually have to make a couple fine adjustments as I sharpen a couple teeth, so I always have to go a few teeth past where I started.  Works for me.

Coalsmoke

I guess I should be thankful they didn't skip 2 teeth or there would be no way I'd be getting it on the band wheels. I just thought it weird on a high end blade. One thing they hvae though is good welds. I've never had a blade break on the weld yet.

Tom

It's always a good idea to tell the manufacturer about your feelings on the weld.  Some, maybe most, will make special compensation for you.  I did this with Cooks because I was getting two or three bands in an order that had multiple welds.  They cut OK, but they were a bear on the sharpener and setter.  After I told them  my concern, they quit shipping me bands with multiple welds.  They understood.

Coalsmoke

That's a good idea. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them on a bunk that bent, so I'll let them chew on one thing at a time from me.

Thank You Sponsors!