iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks ac36 info

Started by Fether Hardwoods, December 29, 2010, 10:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fether Hardwoods

Hello, new to the forum but have read it for a long time.
I need you guys help, I am looking to upgrade my mill from a Turner bandmill to a Cooks Ac36, I found one that looks like a good deal but it is old a 98' to be exact.
So here is my question, What should I look for on a cooks mill that would be a wear part?
             Thank You Nathan Fether

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

backwoods sawyer

Welcome to FF.
Log turner adjuster bolts, rusty chains that want to jump teeth, bent frame, broken agus track, leaks in the hydraulic system, all rollers. I have been refurbishing an old AC-36 that had been "Modified". Take a good look at the mill and look for fresh welds, how well greased it has been, leaks, and above all saw some logs with it, that will give you a feel for some of the hidden issue the mill may have.
The one I have had been repowered with an electric motor so there is a whole assortment of issues that I have been working to over come there. If it has been taken care of, it should be a good mill.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum

Backwoods has covered several things, but I would also check all the hydraulic hoses any where they have a chance to rub metal...encase them in radiator or water hose at all rub points...There are a couple of hoses on there long enough to cost you 3 or 4 hundred dollars to replace....Check all the switches on the remote box to make sure they work...not real expensive to replace, but they do go bad..if one is bad let the current owner fix it....Check the belts a big double belt (really a transmission belt) from the motor drives the saw another small belt runs the hydraulic pump...With the motor OFF take the covers off both wheels-disengage the drive belt and turn the idle wheel by hand and notice how the band tracks on the wheel--if properly adjusted about the same amount of teeth will be on each wheel.....Take the band off the mill and spin the idle wheel by hand--hard--it should spinn for a longgggggg time...You could take the belt all the way off and do the drive wheel as well, but if the ideler is ok it probably is also...If I think of anything else I'll repost....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Fether Hardwoods

Thanks for the help, just wanted to know if there was a common problem with a mill of that age, the owner says it comes with a marathon edger, you guys know anything about them?
       Thank You Nathan Fether
        P.S. This forum has been so helpfull to me thanks everbody.

ladylake

Cooks has several vids 1 though 6 on youtube, sure looks like a nice simple well built mill . A lot of good info also on blades, guide etc.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!