iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

building a logging winch.

Started by jab73180, May 15, 2011, 10:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jab73180

hey all.  i have been lurking around the forum for a while now and finally joined.  the knowledge and inspiration here is cool and it led me to my next project.  i have been wanting a farmi type winch for a while and seeing the home made stuff here put it in reach.  i found a larger than needed 15000 lb ramsey worm drive winch on craigslist and decided to snag it.  hopefully my lil tractor can lift it.  a lot of the iron came from my friends place.  it was just stuff laying around that he gave me.  i mounted the winch on a piece of 12" H beam 3' long.  i made the lift ears out of 3/4" plate and mounted those under the H beam to make sure i can get plenty of lift on the winch.  under the H beam i mounted a 10" piece of channel iron to use as the anchor/push blade.  the lifting ears i welded onto it support the channel iron blade 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down.  that is prolly enough support but i will weld in some more gussets and supports.  i bought the sprockets, hubs, hydraulic lines, fittings and adapters at tractor supply and i got the hydraulic motor and valve body from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  after reading a lot of posts on this forum i decided to go with the hydraulic setup instead of a pto set up.  it would have been easier to have the spool valve right on the tractor, but that would have messed up the hydraulics for the back hoe so i did it this way.  this thing needs a lot more work but i would like to at least try it right off.  pictures to come soon.  and thank you for the ideas!!!!

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Jab73180.  Sounds like an interesting build, and like it might work out well.  Can't wait to see what it looks like :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

What kind and how many hp is your tractor? Sounds good to me. Remember the slight angle the winches had on the bottom to dig in with when you are winching? May want to put a piece of flat stock on edge under that 10 inch piece of channel iron. I don't think it would have to be all that wide,but at least 4 inches will help.Will need gussets behind it too. I would make a place on each side of the winch to hang chains and some small boxes if your chains will drag to put them in. I have some 8 foot chains and than some 3½ foot chains for my small stuff. No need to pull 6 feet of chain through a chocker if not needed. It's well worth the money to make up short chains.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jab73180

thanx for the idea c farm.  the tractor is a kubuta B7510 about 18 hp.  i have got the winch working but it is slower than i was hoping,  but it beats doing it by hand.  the hydraulics in the tractor are only about 4 gpm and the motor needs 16 gpm.  so basically all the fpm numbers i calculated need to be cut to 25% of anticipated. 

i finally got around to starting a web hosted photo album so here are pictures.   enjoy.

jab73180

seems how the picture uploader on this site sucks, there wont be any pictures because it takes 15 steps to do 1 thing.  so that means no pictures from me and moderators feel free to boot me.  dont get me wrong,  knowledge base is awesome, posting pictures sucks.

Kevin

That's pretty rude for someone with only 7 posts.

Maine372

i struggled with the uploader to, but once you figure it out its pretty easy. get somone a little more tech savy to walk you through it.

D Hagens

Quote from: jab73180 on May 31, 2011, 09:24:53 PM
seems how the picture uploader on this site sucks, there wont be any pictures because it takes 15 steps to do 1 thing.  so that means no pictures from me and moderators feel free to boot me.  dont get me wrong,  knowledge base is awesome, posting pictures sucks.

Hmmmmmm.......without opening my mouth to this remark :D :D My wife started a thread, posted pics while I made dinner :) Never asked once how to do it and had no probs 8) So what's yours :o

beenthere

There are 70,000 plus pics in the gallery, and I doubt they took 15 steps each to enter them. Hang in there, as it isn't hard to post pics in the gallery. Want some help?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jab73180

I belong to 3 other forums and all of them allow you to insert a photo right from the post, no need to download to a different web site.   The java uploader doesn't work for me either.   That's fine ill just switch to an easier forum.

beenthere

That anything like switching to an easier woman?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!