iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log prices

Started by woodmills1, November 20, 2001, 05:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

anyone see any movement up or down in log prices lately? :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

I can tell you we are paying less. There is a glut of logs right now because nobody is sawing.  We are sawing at probably 65% and still probably 2 weeks ahead of known orders.

We buy aspen by the cord and right now we are very selective on size and quality. if it aint big and snow white so we can pull grade (a market that has picked up because nobody is sawing low grade) were not buying.

I say we are paying less, actually are prices are the same as a couple months ago by the cord, but our minimum standard has risen dramatically.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I don't get too involved in log prices, and we only buy logs by the ton.  Prices are about $25-30/ton/  Good on some logs, poor on others.

Mainly, we buy timber and process into logs, then lumber.  Stumpage hasn't fallen as compared to the lumber markets.  A lot of landowners have kept their timber off of the market, and they should.

Veneer prices haven't fallen, but they are much harder.  Minimum size has risen.  Some guys aren't buying anything.  Ash has nearly fallen out of the marketplace.  Lots of oak panels and oak veneer in storage.  A lot of oak veneer goes into business furnishings.  A very slack market this year.

Lumber buyers are a lot fussier as well.  Even though the upper prices haven't dropped much, it is much harder to make the grade.  Nothing squeaks past as it did last year at this time.

We're in for a brief up tick in the market.  A lot will depend on the winter.  If it is an easy winter with little snow and cold temps, then there will be plenty of logs and lumber.  If it gets to be a messy winter, inventories will deplete and the buying spurt will be through the winter and into the spring.

I fear that after the spring, it will be a backslide for hardwood grade, unless there is a big upsurge in demand.  I don't see it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

if i read it right prices are not changing but conditions/definitions are. :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

L. Wakefield

OK, the snob in me talking... one of my friends down in WV did a good business in making furniture with cherry and oak- not mass quantities of veneer-covered stuff but solid oak or cherry. I am wondering whether- as the market for veneer in large quantities drops off, might there be a niche for the smaller level of production of real quality furniture? I honestly have always liked stuff that i didn't have to worry whether it would peel if I got it wet.

I realize that the buyers are a different group, and locating them may be difficult. But..can't help looking at it from the consumer end. People may not want to buy a full new house to put those cupboards in, but they might buy a table.. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Wenrich

Most of the upper end furniture is solid wood.  The lower quality tends to be veneer, at least what I have looked at.

You can tell what the quality of the furniture is by looking at the drawer sides.  Lowest quality is plywood, then beech, then oak.  At one time sycamore was a high end drawer wood.  It has a natural oil that let it slide better.

Kitchen cabinets are mainly solid wood.  My brother-in-law works at a cabinet shop.  They feel the slowdown will help them. since people will be more apt to remodel than build.  Kitchens and bathrooms are main target areas.

Upper end furniture doesn't feel any slump in sales.  Those that can afford it, buy it.  As with most business, marketing is the key.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

and apple and butternut were used for shuttles in the mills because they self polished.  i would welcome a return to using wood for the purpose that is demonstrated by properties.  split some standing dead white :D oak today for instant dry firewood.  understood why shingles were split not sawn.  every good split showed the oak fleck of true quartered material. :)

Frank_Pender

Here, on the West Coast some of the Mills are not buying such if any soft wood  until after the first of the Year.  Then and now is still 20 plus days away.  9-11-01 had much to do with that as well as the general economy.  For myself,  as a one man operation, I am as busy as I want to be sawing every day.  
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!