iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber defects caused by foreign agents

Started by SwampDonkey, June 16, 2004, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Flat head borer exit hole. Lumber was sawn after the cavity was created so its a longitudinal view of the hole. Most likely a sawyer beetle attacked this white pine while the bark was still on the log laying a few too many weeks on the ground. :/

Spalded yellow birch sawn after the logs were laying on the ground for several months before sawing. Notice the mold (white) and the blackened fungal stains. This stain will not be planed out, travels throughout the piece of lumber.

The two pieces look a little dirty because the red squirrels like to take butternuts on top of the lumber pile to remove the husks and shells in fall and winter. Now where's the box trap and my bag of apples ....hmmm  ;D

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR_Buck

...foreign agents?  ???   I thought this was gonna be something about spies! :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!