iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawdust Removal Bin

Started by YellowHammer, January 19, 2016, 11:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Looks stupid to me Yellowhammer.  :o

What hp is the motor?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

It's a 5 horse Timberking/Woodmaster.  It will handle the sawmill and the planer or SLR at the same time, so two people can be working simultaneously.  Pretty much hands off, except the DanG things keeps filling everything up with chips.   :D :D

Hoever, every time I looks at it, I am torn between the fact that the self dumping hopper/Grizzly centrifuge/duct tape Frankenstein looks totally "inelegant" but works surprisingly well except for the having to dismantle it to remove and dump the chips.

I can rebuild it, I can make it better.   ;D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 17, 2018, 08:40:36 PM

However, every time I looks at it, I am torn between the fact that the self dumping hopper/Grizzly centrifuge/duct tape Frankenstein looks totally "inelegant" .........

Maybe you should read Magicman thread on customers impressions and get your place "elegantnated".  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

YellowHammer

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 17, 2018, 09:13:05 PM
Quote from: YellowHammer on February 17, 2018, 08:40:36 PM

However, every time I looks at it, I am torn between the fact that the self dumping hopper/Grizzly centrifuge/duct tape Frankenstein looks totally "inelegant" .........

Maybe you should read Magicman thread on customers impressions and get your place "elegantnated".  :D :D :D

I know exactly what you mean.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Don P

"Daddy, this truck looks terrible, why don't we get a new one like all the other builders"
"Son, its about making a good impression. People see this truck and know we are a low overhead operation"

If you do want to make a cyclone I've got layout directions, or, if you have a copy of Foxfire or know anyone who happens to um, as the old timers would say, farm in the woods. Layout is in Foxfire under how to build a still. It's always good to be cross trained.

YellowHammer

Thanks for the offer, I will send a PM.

YellowHammerisms:

Crusarius

need to make the top one piece and hinge it with some strong hood struts. Then you can just pivot it up out of the way grab the bin go dump and then reset.

YellowHammer

I've been working on the sawdust collection and finally have it just about dialed in.  I ended up buying a cyclone only from Oneida, and welded up a bracket and mounted it to my barn.  Oneida said their cyclone wasn't designed for this type of thing, but should work, so I had to decrease the sawdust exhaust by 2 inches to get very good separation.  Seems like the mod worked, 98% of the sawdust goes down the drop tube and almost no fines go out the top.  

Here are some pics.  

I'm still working on the nozzle, and I need to build a roof for the bin but it shoots everything into the bin with virtually no overspray or spillage.

Remember, I started out with a straight pipe blowing the sawdust onto the ground into a pile.  Then I switched to a dump trailer and dump truck sawdust going everywhere.

Quite an improvement. ;D Maybe the grass will finally start growing.

YellowHammerisms:

Darrel

That is mostly way more gooder! 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

slider

Just curious Robert, what made you think of reducing the inlet size?
al glenn

YellowHammer

Oneida had designed the cyclone with the their high pressure and low pressure pipes backward to how I was plumbing it, because they designed it as a vacuum system, and I was using it as a pressure system.  To make it more complicated, its not a pure cyclone inside, it has a 2 foot long reverse tube inside that kind of threw me for a loop.  In my system, the air was going to have to come into the exhaust inlet, spin out in the cyclone, go down a couple feet, then reverse directions and go vertical out the original inlet, which is now the exhaust.  I knew I had to resize the inlet and exhaust to balance the back pressure and velocity in the orifice against the sawdust particle's drag and weight.  So I went to Lowes and bought a bunch of duct reducers and started playing with it.

First run, half the air and sawdust geysered out of the bottom and the top.  High airflow on both ends.  Nope, not good, jt was snowing.  Then I put on the 4 inch diameter reducer on the bottom, and the back pressure was too high and all the sawdust blew into the air from the top, and almost no air or sawdust from the bottom.  I had choked it off too much, but I knew I had it whupped.  So I tried the 6 inch reducer and 80% of the sawdust came out the bottom on a semi spiral from the cyclone, but it was still snowing from the sawdust being blown out the top.  Then, I tried the 8 inch reducer, and magic, almost all the air was being forced out the top, and all sawdust was being centrifuged and spun out of the bottom.  Thing of beauty, better than I had hoped.  Heres a picture of the sawdust spiraling out the bottom, with very little airflow, almost like sand dropping out of an hourglass.  It just hits the bottom of the bin and piles up, doesn't even blow out the top.  I'm a happy camper.

YellowHammerisms:

PAmizerman

What's with the circle sawn lumber on the hopper? I thought you were an ORANGE man!  :D

Looking good
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

YellowHammer

Good eyes!  Ain't that somethin?  Here I am with a band mill and a reputation for high grade lumber and I get some "sample" circle sawn poplar from a mill who's trying to get me to start buying from him, and the only thing its worth using for is bin boards and dog house wood.  I wouldn't sell it to my customers, but I didn't want to burn it, and I didn't need any more pallets. :D I'm always trying out new sources, but most just don't pan out.  Look how much wane is on the top boards, and how much bow and its just ordinary, easy poplar.  I'm glad the boards have the circle marks because otherwise you guys would think I'd sawn it!

YellowHammerisms:

customsawyer

I would bet it was cut into some form of a cant and then went through a gang saw. I was standing in the cab of another sawmill today watching them run a end dog scrag mill. Great machine for what it does but it is sawing ties and pallet lumber. Totally different markets.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Southside

Good looking and working set up you built there.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Alligator

I know you already have a solution now. I was riding down one of the back streets in Slocomb, Al. Were I live and saw this. I haven't been down that street in 20 years. This thread popped into my head. It's been sitting there 40 years. That's how long the gin it belongs to has been out of operation. Anyway if you want me to run down the owner PM me. It still looks to be in good shape other than surface rust.

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

Alligator

I you look at 173 South Morris Street, Slocomb, AL 36375 on Google Earth you can see another view of it. Just do street view.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

YellowHammer

I appreciate the thought, but I hopefully am done.  This Oneida cyclone should handle a bigger blower if I ever upgrade, and after years, literally, of fighting with the mess, it feels good to finally have a solution.  
YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!