iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a mill.. FIRST LOG WAS A SUCCESS!!

Started by jwh f-100, January 12, 2018, 01:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I had a worm gear winch on my DIY mill, it works but slow, I also had a brake on the saw frame to make sure it did not creep while sawing.

I can't remember the pull rating on mine but the larger the capacity the slower it will go. I guess that is why you often see a lift assist on factory made manual mills, a lift gas shock or garage door spring sort of setup then you can have a high ratio lift mechanism that is fast and requires little effort to move and hold in place.

If I was making a stationary mill and weight did not matter I would be tempted to use a counter weight.

jwh f-100

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 15, 2018, 04:00:03 PM
I had a worm gear winch on my DIY mill, it works but slow, I also had a brake on the saw frame to make sure it did not creep while sawing.

I can't remember the pull rating on mine but the larger the capacity the slower it will go. I guess that is why you often see a lift assist on factory made manual mills, a lift gas shock or garage door spring sort of setup then you can have a high ratio lift mechanism that is fast and requires little effort to move and hold in place.

If I was making a stationary mill and weight did not matter I would be tempted to use a counter weight.

I like the idea of a clamp and a torsion rod. I have my feelers out for some garage door parts..

I'm also thinking about some type of secondary tensioner/handle on the cable. It will tighten the cable just enough for the blade to clear the log while backing up, but leaving the winch in its original location.
Why buy it when you can build it.

Kwill

Quote from: Crusarius on January 15, 2018, 02:12:26 PM
I ended up with acme threaded rod for raise and lower. Some ways I wish I had gone simple with a winch but have to much invested not to change.
what kind of acme did you use? I see surplus center has what they are calling lead acme thread. I would think it would be soft and wear out quickly
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Crusarius

Whatever linn lumber sent me. The threaded block is brass so the rods should last just fine. its 1". 5 turns per inch of travel.

The blocks are just solid so I think I am going to drill and tap them for grease fittings.

Jeff

I wouldn't. I'd lubricate with a fine lubricant.  Grease, fine sawdust, threads, BAD!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kwill on January 15, 2018, 07:15:38 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on January 15, 2018, 02:12:26 PM
I ended up with acme threaded rod for raise and lower. Some ways I wish I had gone simple with a winch but have to much invested not to change.
what kind of acme did you use? I see surplus center has what they are calling lead acme thread. I would think it would be soft and wear out quickly
It depends on how you pronounce it!  I think they meant leed as opposed to led.  i agree, lead (led) would be pretty soft! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ktm250rider

I just tacked up a HF worm gear winch to my mill in process.  Yes it is slow to go from the bottom to the top.  For making 1 inch adjustments it doesn't seem too bad.  Works great if you remove the handle and use a cordless drill.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ktm250rider on January 16, 2018, 07:45:23 AM
I just tacked up a HF worm gear winch to my mill in process.  Yes it is slow to go from the bottom to the top.  For making 1 inch adjustments it doesn't seem too bad.  Works great if you remove the handle and use a cordless drill.

Better yet if you attach a wheelchair motor to it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ktm250rider

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2018, 09:48:31 AM

Ugh, yup thats the plan.  Wouldnt you know I get a townwide email that a local resident is giving away (AKA FREE) a powered wheel chair.  Naturally i was number 2 in line and number 1 took it!

Kbeitz

Quote from: ktm250rider on January 16, 2018, 11:34:00 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on January 16, 2018, 09:48:31 AM

Ugh, yup thats the plan.  Wouldnt you know I get a townwide email that a local resident is giving away (AKA FREE) a powered wheel chair.  Naturally i was number 2 in line and number 1 took it!

Check the junkyards.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

jwh f-100

Good idea with the drill. I plan to put a small steering wheel on mine..

Here is a basic drawing of my saw head..

FloridaMike

Or use a 12 VDC tarp motor.  I'm using one of these: LINK

Hope it was ok to post a non-sponsor link!

Mike
Mike

Crusarius

I would be real interested to know how that works I am using a wheelchair motor.

jwh f-100

]
Quote from: Crusarius on January 17, 2018, 09:39:42 AM
I would be real interested to know how that works I am using a wheelchair motor.

Have you guys considered a power window motor from a car?

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: jwh f-100 on January 18, 2018, 02:49:34 PM
]
Quote from: Crusarius on January 17, 2018, 09:39:42 AM

Have you guys considered a power window motor from a car?
I wouldn't think it would hold up.  Don't think they are made for the duty cycle (unless you have a 5-year-old...) or the power that would be required.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

yes. I did. But I agree with ljohnson. I don't think they would hold up and also don't think they would have the power needed to lift my carriage. If I had one readily available I would be very happy to test it. But I really don't want to go pull one out of anything.

jwh f-100

Hey all.

The current debate between the right and left side of my brain is my clutch.

I am leaning  towards a manual clutch for a few reasons. Price, dependability, and size (speed) options..

Any substantial reasons not to use a manual clutch set up??

thecfarm

I have a mill that I just press the throttle and go,just like a chainsaw. I would not want to reach and push a lever to engage the motor. I looked at sawmills for 20 years before I bought the one I did. I have a shoulder that kinda bothers at time. No way could I do it. Even what little sawing I do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kbeitz

A good two belt centrifugal is not cheap ether.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BigZ La

I don't know anything about building a mill so I'm just throwing this out there, could a drive from a golf cart be used to drive a mill? As the engine speed increases the blade speed would increase. I don't know if they are designed for the amount of torque needed, I was just having a brain drain.  :D

jwh f-100

I will be using Cooks adjustable blade guides. 

My cut width will be in the 26" to 28" range..

The "fixed" roller guide will be on the drive wheel side as it should..

My question is how crucial is it to have the other roller guide on a slide?? When in the 26"-28" range can they both be fixed??

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Linn Lumber sells a 2 groove clutch for $310.

jwh f-100

Quote from: Kbeitz on January 24, 2018, 08:12:29 AM
Mine is fixed. Works great so far...

Thanks.. What is your cut width??

The idea of, more or less, fixing it and forgetting it really appeals to me..   I can just imagine having everything tuned in nicely at 24", then narrowing the cut and messing up the adjustment..  In my eyes more components equal more opportunities for inconsistencies..

Crusarius

I have thought about that to but I like the idea of the extra blade being covered when your cutting.

Thank You Sponsors!