iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT30

Started by luckybodog, January 16, 2018, 06:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luckybodog

Hi everyone I am new to the Forum and New to milling . I have a 1982 Woodmizer LT30 with a 16 hp kohler . The folks that had it before messed up the wiring . I have put the original kohler 16hp engine on it unfortunately woodmizer no longer makes the Reg/Rectifier . All the wiring has been reconfigured. I have a new Reg/Rectifier but its not the same . It has 3 terminals AC,AC ,Battery and a ground hole A total of 4 connections its like all the new ones. The old one has AC,AC ,Reg,Bat Neg,Bat Reg a total of 5 Connections was made by Syncro. The Stator has 4 wires coming from it 2 black 2 red. It has 2 wires 1 red and 1 black coming out of the key switch box don't know were they go . It has a motor that raises the head and one that feeds the mill with a speed control. I contacted woodmizer and Kohler they tried to help even sent a wiring diagram but they said it was older than anyone that worked there. If anyone out there can help with some pictures and instruction .I am anxious to learn and anxious to mill . Thanks in advance.
Dwayne

GAB

Welcome to the forum.
I'm curious as to the serial number of your sawmill.
I think 1982 was the first year for WM sawmills.
I can't, but hopefully someone will come along and be able to help you.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, luckybodog!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crossroads

I had an 85 lt30 that had an upgraded 18hp engine. I wish I could be more helpful, but electronics are not my strong point :(
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Darrel

Welcome, there's bound to be somebody that can help. Hang in there!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: luckybodog on January 16, 2018, 06:21:21 PM
Hi everyone I am new to the Forum and New to milling . I have a 1982 Woodmizer LT30 with a 16 hp kohler . The folks that had it before messed up the wiring . I have put the original kohler 16hp engine on it unfortunately woodmizer no longer makes the Reg/Rectifier . All the wiring has been reconfigured. I have a new Reg/Rectifier but its not the same . It has 3 terminals AC,AC ,Battery and a ground hole A total of 4 connections its like all the new ones. The old one has AC,AC ,Reg,Bat Neg,Bat Reg a total of 5 Connections was made by Syncro. The Stator has 4 wires coming from it 2 black 2 red. It has 2 wires 1 red and 1 black coming out of the key switch box don't know were they go . It has a motor that raises the head and one that feeds the mill with a speed control. I contacted woodmizer and Kohler they tried to help even sent a wiring diagram but they said it was older than anyone that worked there. If anyone out there can help with some pictures and instruction .I am anxious to learn and anxious to mill . Thanks in advance.

The "stator" on the original engine has "4 wires coming from (it)"?   

The original reg/rectifier should be available from Kohler. Your post seems to indicate you have the correct one in hand.

Was your "new reg/rectifier" wired into the circuit or was it purchased as a replacement part? A little confused as to "the old one and the new one".  Does "old" mean the five wire Syncro unit had been used and worked ?correctly?

Colors and terminal descriptions won't help much on modified circuits.  Start  from scratch, what was originally intended and designed, then one might determine how the wiring has been changed.  Do you have the owner's manual for your mill?

That system is pretty basic, afa wiring, take special care that the "speed control" unit is wired correctly.  Costly components in that little box.  WoodMizer employees may be younger than the wiring diagrams but they should be able to interpret them.   Some "help with pictures" of what you are dealing with on your end might illicit more accurate help.     

luckybodog

Quote from: Ben Cut-wright on January 31, 2018, 07:38:09 AM
Quote from: luckybodog on January 16, 2018, 06:21:21 PM

The "stator" on the original engine has "4 wires coming from (it)"?   

The original reg/rectifier should be available from Kohler. Your post seems to indicate you have the correct one in hand.

Was your "new reg/rectifier" wired into the circuit or was it purchased as a replacement part? A little confused as to "the old one and the new one".  Does "old" mean the five wire Syncro unit had been used and worked ?correctly?

Colors and terminal descriptions won't help much on modified circuits.  Start  from scratch, what was originally intended and designed, then one might determine how the wiring has been changed.  Do you have the owner's manual for your mill?

That system is pretty basic, afa wiring, take special care that the "speed control" unit is wired correctly.  Costly components in that little box.  WoodMizer employees may be younger than the wiring diagrams but they should be able to interpret them.   Some "help with pictures" of what you are dealing with on your end might illicit more accurate help.   
The old Sycro Reg/ Rectifier is bad and the wiring was all taken loose . I will get some pictures and get back with them. I really appreciate the help. Best Regards Dwayne
Dwayne

StimW

Can you run the engine and check the output of the wires?
My guess is that it has 2 stators.
They used to use one to rectify AC to DC for the battery.
And the other would be AC only to run lights and clutches.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Kbeitz

Quote from: StimW on February 03, 2018, 11:43:57 PM
Can you run the engine and check the output of the wires?
My guess is that it has 2 stators.
They used to use one to rectify AC to DC for the battery.
And the other would be AC only to run lights and clutches.

I would think the clutch would need DC. Any magnet needs DC to work.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ben Cut-wright

Kohler said they had no idea about how the stator is wired on their engine?  Dual stator units do have the wire colors you state.  It is possible to use the new four wire regulator/rectifer by connecting the two black wires to the new unit at AC-AC, should be correct for that regulator.   The dual stator is capable of creating more current than the regulator you have will handle.  Why did you get a four wire regulator when the five wire Syncro was apparently working with the stator wiring?  How did you determine the Syncro was defective? 

jb616

I got a hand drawn schematic for my 86 LT30 from Woodmizer. It is fairly helpful and I got mine wired and running. Mine has a 14hp Kohler but should be real similar. not sure if this schematic will help for the motor. The up/down and feeds are real simple. I opted to put direct current to my starter and then 30 amp breakers to each elec. motor. I will attach the Kohler motor schematic and the hand drawn schematic.

luckybodog

Thanks everyone for your input . Worked on it today . I think I am almost there. I will keep you update Thanks Again. Dwayne
Dwayne

azmtnman

Quote from: GAB on January 16, 2018, 07:23:22 PM
Welcome to the forum.
I'm curious as to the serial number of your sawmill.
I think 1982 was the first year for WM sawmills.
I can't, but hopefully someone will come along and be able to help you.
Gerald
I would like to know what your serial number is too! I have an '83 serial number 143.
Welcome to the Forum!
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

luckybodog

Thanks to all the saw is running to answer some of the questions . The bridge Rectifier Regulator was checked with a ohm meter that show it was bad . The diodes were open. The Stator put out 48 volts AC on the two black ones the ones I used on the New Reg/Rectifier  . The Two Red wires coming out the stator put out 139 volts AC I didn't use these not sure what they are for. Hoping to cut a piece of Burl wood and three wild cherry for a wood worker I know. I really appreciate all the input. Best Regards Dwayne
Dwayne

Kbeitz

I found that it's best to use an analog tester over a digital one when checking the output voltage on small engines. the digital one will give you false readings sometimes.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: luckybodog on March 07, 2018, 10:00:42 PM
Thanks to all the saw is running to answer some of the questions . The bridge Rectifier Regulator was checked with a ohm meter that show it was bad . The diodes were open. The Stator put out 48 volts AC on the two black ones the ones I used on the New Reg/Rectifier  . The Two Red wires coming out the stator put out 139 volts AC I didn't use these not sure what they are for. Hoping to cut a piece of Burl wood and three wild cherry for a wood worker I know. I really appreciate all the input. Best Regards Dwayne
Good you have it charging correctly, thanks for posting the fix.    Would be wise to test charging rate and battery condition to better assure trouble free service.  

Ben Cut-wright

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 08, 2018, 02:36:28 AM
I found that it's best to use an analog tester over a digital one when checking the output voltage on small engines. the digital one will give you false readings sometimes.
Appreciate if you could describe how to test and what results to expect when using analog meters to test voltage on small engines.  Your comment "when checking output voltage on small engines" makes me wonder what may be unique regarding electricity or testing peculiar to small engines.  

Kbeitz

Small engines make dirty electric or noise. digital  meters will pick that up. A analog tester will not.
This may be why your getting 139 volts AC on one of the output wires. Most small engines have two output circuits. One for charging and the second one to run AC lights.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sparks

Here is what you had. Parts are OBS.   3 pole regulator will not work.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!