iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to forum Timber Harvester user

Started by tylerltr450, January 29, 2018, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tylerltr450

Hi all wanted to introduce myself, since I am new to the forum. I have been floating around here for a while with timber harvester stuff. Figure it was time to jump in. Currently I have a 36 timber harvester that is a fully hydraulic mill and I absolutely love it. Definitely have a saw dust addiction, currently the saw runs amazing just has a minor learning curve. Currently the set works seem to has stopped working, due to water touching the main board above the mill. Does anyone have a spare board or know someone that can fix the board? I would love to get the setworks back just to keep me cutting the same size boards all the time.

Timber Harvester 36HTD25 fully loaded
2006 Dodge 2500 first Auto to NV5600 swap, EFI Live Tune by me
John Deere Tractor
Massey Ferguson 711B SkidSteer

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  tylerltr450!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tylerltr450

Quote from: Chuck White on January 29, 2018, 07:37:58 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum,  tylerltr450!

Thank you its exciting being here and hopefully to learn more.
John Deere Tractor

dgdrls

Welcome  tylerltr450,

Have you opened the "circuit" to see whats up?
Many times a printed circuit board can be repaired, if that's your issue

Best
D

Brad_S.

You could try contacting Ken Clouser on the web at "clouser farms" and asking him.  He used to be one of the largest sales reps for timber harvester. He now manufactures his own brand of mills but he may know the source that timber harvester used for those boards.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

tylerltr450

Quote from: dgdrls on January 29, 2018, 09:11:11 PM
Welcome  tylerltr450,

Have you opened the "circuit" to see whats up?
Many times a printed circuit board can be repaired, if that's your issue

Best
D

I have looked at the board and I found that is an issue with power going to the cpu. I can power the CPU with the usb header on the board but I cant seem to get the power to the cpu. I just cant seem to figure out if its a resister or a a relay on the board.

Quote from: Brad_S. on January 29, 2018, 11:17:46 PM
You could try contacting Ken Clouser on the web at "clouser farms" and asking him.  He used to be one of the largest sales reps for timber harvester. He now manufactures his own brand of mills but he may know the source that timber harvester used for those boards.
I have been to Kens shops since he is some what local to me only about 2 hours away, and he was able to point me in some directions but everything came up empty seems that the one company I had hopes for told me that the board doesn't look like something they produced for the harvester but they may have created boards for them
John Deere Tractor

apm

Probably a real dumb question here, but in the pictures of your mill it looks like the log stops are on the same side as the loader arms and it looks like the blade is sawing "away" from the log stops? That is backwards from the way I would have pictured it.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

samandothers

Welcome and I wish you well in your search.

tylerltr450

Quote from: apm on January 30, 2018, 08:21:17 AM
Probably a real dumb question here, but in the pictures of your mill it looks like the log stops are on the same side as the loader arms and it looks like the blade is sawing "away" from the log stops? That is backwards from the way I would have pictured it.

Greg

Greg,

The saw loads from the right side the clamps move on the left side so when loading the log will roll into the clamps. The posts or log stops come up on the right. and yes the mill saws to the left or away from the log stops.

John Deere Tractor

SawyerTed

Welcome from another forum new guy!  Hope you can find your repair parts!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Brad_S.

Quote from: tylerltr450 on January 30, 2018, 11:49:45 AM

Greg

Greg,

The saw loads from the right side the clamps move on the left side so when loading the log will roll into the clamps. The posts or log stops come up on the right. and yes the mill saws to the left or away from the log stops.

The rationale behind that is that  once the first slab is removed, you are sawing into the clean face more often than dirty bark. It extends the blade life.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

tylerltr450

Quote from: Brad_S. on January 30, 2018, 01:15:25 PM
Quote from: tylerltr450 on January 30, 2018, 11:49:45 AM

Greg

Greg,

The rationale behind that is that  once the first slab is removed, you are sawing into the clean face more often than dirty bark. It extends the blade life.

Correct what he said
John Deere Tractor

tylerltr450

Well all I have extremely good news, after a year or 2 with losing the setworks on the mill I have finally figured out what the issue was.
It looks simple in the picture but it was extremely hard to find where the fault was since there is just about no documentation for this board. What I was able to find was that the first capacitor on the board was bad. This is right after the AC to DC converter on the board. I cant believe i missed it for so long, what I was going to end up doing was to run the CPU after the 12v to 5v converter which would allow me to run the CPU safely off the diagnostic USB but after playing around with it i figured out that the power was never making it to the 12v to 5v reducer which then gave me a condensed area on the board to spend more time. After all of that I was able to diagnosis that only one of the capacitors were bad. So now I have one on order and will be able to be up and running again with the dummy buttons haha.

Below is a image that i modified to show other harvester users the flow of power, the red arrows is the flow of power from the main power and the orange is the ground.

John Deere Tractor

Ga Mtn Man

Good job finding that one!  Much more difficult to do without schematics.  Electrolytic caps have a limited lifespan and all will eventually need to be replaced.  I see they used a US Digital Encoder.  That's the same make that Wood-Mizer uses on their SimpleSet system.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tylerltr450

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 03, 2018, 08:11:20 AM
Good job finding that one!  Much more difficult to do without schematics.  Electrolytic caps have a limited lifespan and all will eventually need to be replaced.  I see they used a US Digital Encoder.  That's the same make that Wood-Mizer uses on their SimpleSet system.

Thanks GA Mtn Man, those US Digital Encoders seem to be a very popular encoder for head movement. And yes the schematics would have been very helpful so without them is probably what took me so long. I would like to try and build a second board and pull the coding off the CPU but I just haven't tried to do all of the work yet for that. Might have to try and take that up next winter.
John Deere Tractor

tylerltr450

Finally got the board to run off its own power again.

When I took the capacitor off I realized that there was the main trace missing from the ac to dc converter and to the capacitor. So I had to make my own trace in order to get power back to the capacitor.

Booted up and CPU shows ok

I'm going to have to hook it up to the mill and let you all know how it goes.
John Deere Tractor

Kbeitz

The capacitor make soft DC. Takes the ripple out...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tylerltr450

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2018, 08:58:36 AM

Correct and keeps that nice and clean DC current to the fragile computer system.

Hey Kbeitz your pretty close to me, about a hour south near Pottsville.
John Deere Tractor

Kbeitz

Quote from: tylerltr450 on February 10, 2018, 09:02:28 AM

Correct and keeps that nice and clean DC current to the fragile computer system.

Yep... I take it that your somewhere around shenandoah?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tylerltr450

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2018, 09:10:24 AM
Quote from: tylerltr450 on February 10, 2018, 09:02:28 AM

Yep... I take it that your somewhere around shenandoah?

Yeah Close enough a little more south but in the general area.
John Deere Tractor

Kbeitz

[/quote]

[/quote]

I get down to black diamond antiques and renninger's flea market every so often
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tylerltr450

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2018, 09:18:08 AM

[/quote]

I get down to black diamond antiques and renninger's flea market every so often
[/quote]

yikes even renningers that's dedication to come that far for that.
John Deere Tractor

Kbeitz

[/quote]

yikes even renningers that's dedication to come that far for that.
[/quote]

I really like a good flea market. I went to leesport flea market once. What a drive.
Best flea market on Pa is in Jacktown Pa. at the engine show.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tylerltr450

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 10, 2018, 09:30:24 AM

I really like a good flea market. I went to leesport flea market once. What a drive.
Best flea market on Pa is in Jacktown Pa. at the engine show.

Yeah that is a good one I was there before, nothing like a good flea market
John Deere Tractor

tylerltr450

Well guys the computer works again like it should runs perfect!

Here are perfect 1x1s

John Deere Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!