iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting a tree from the root

Started by alsayyed, December 12, 2005, 11:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

I always wanted to ask this question just for the interest. What is the  cost of cutting tree. Is there   any negotiation before cutting. For instance do they put these things into consideration like.
1 height of the tree
2 thickness of the tree
3 carrying the tree out of the area
4 cleaning the area from small branches or what is lift over.

Ironwood

I am no expert but I do buy logs and work with loggers and trimmers (no offense to the Arborists I wish their were more of you folks not just guys with saws)

As to log value,...From what I know it is about risk and return. Many more knowlegable folks will chime in on the business of timbering.  There are so many variables, we all wish we had x-ray vision, but we don't. I typically tell the seller what I am looking for and what I hope to find and what could be the worst case senario for me if it is a bad log. I educate them and talk about who will bear the risk, if they want greater return then I suggest they carry the burden of the risk until I get the log and see it's general condition, a step further, I could say that we could wait until I mill their, say curly hard maple tree to see how it looks inside and if it is AWSOME then big reward for them. Where do you want to be? I cut slim few logs but it is still the same in big ops. I assume. They are playing the averages, some percentage of good looking logs are bad, and vice versa. Their experience will hopefully guide them well. What do you want, and do you trust the guy for a whole lot of logs or just want a stump price for all.

As to tree services, WOW all kinds of variables. Location to buildings,access issues .type of tree, height, danger to themselves, their equipment/capitalization/ overhead, experience,  on and on . Really an open ended question. Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

mike_van

alsayyed, any smart tree outfit will look at all the things you listed, then bid on a job based on those facts.  A neighbor near me had a giant maple [100+ footer, 5' diameter]  removed, the bids ranged from 4000.00 to 10,000.00.  The tree hung over the house, was half rotten & guyed.  She took the low bidder, and they did a good job, nothing smashed, no one hurt.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Thank You Sponsors!