iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Invoice/receipt book

Started by 4x4American, February 17, 2017, 01:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Currently I use Sales Order TC5805 from staples to write out orders/receipts on.  I'm looking to get a customized one made from a local printing company.  I want to have sort of a legal disclaimer at the bottom of it.  We had discussed this awhile back but I can't remember what thread.  Someone gave me a good or two to put at the bottom.  Something that says what I'm selling is what it is, ungraded green lumber, blah blah blah.  Any ideas?  I would love to see your formats too btw. 

-Is sales order the right thing to call it?  Do yous guys do it different like?

Thanks
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Customer acknowledges Sawyer is not a qualified wood grader, and does not purport to grade wood for any purpose whatsoever. Customer agrees to hold Sawyer harmless for any loss to the wood after received, or for any loss or injury resulting from use of the wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

ChugiakTinkerer

I am not a lawyer nor am I a seller of lumber, so take my opinion for what it's worth.  I'd go with a disclaimer notice that has a proven track record.

From a lawsuit involving treated lumber, the seller was protected by including this notice which required acknowledgement by the buyer:

IT IS EXPRESSLY UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED THAT SELLER MAKES NO EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS OR OF MERCHANTABILITY OR OF ANY OTHER KIND WHATSOEVER EXCEPT THAT THE GOODS SOLD HEREUNDER SHALL BE OF THE QUANTITY ABOVE SPECIFIED. BUYER ASSUMES ALL THE RISK OF LIABILITY WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM THE USE OF SUCH GOODS, WHETHER USED SINGULARLY OR IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER SUBSTANCES. SELLER'S LIABILITY FOR NONCONFORMING GOODS IS EXCLUSIVELY LIMITED, AT THE SELLER'S OPTION, TO REPLACEMENT OF THE DEFECTIVE GOODS OR THE PURCHASE PRICE OF SUCH GOODS AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL SELLER BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES.

See http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/972/1343/178233/
Woodland Mills HM130

alabama

Please Note One other thing:

If someone wanted to file litigation, make sure you state in the contract that in the event of a dispute not being resolved by the sawyer and whoever, that it be arbitration and not in a court of law.

If it is multiple pages to initial each page too. It is in your best interest to work things out in arbitration rather than in front of a judge. By having them sign the contract to arbitration it will protect you in the long run and the subject would not be able to file a claim in court. A big advantage to you!
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Brucer

I use two-part "Sales Order" books from a Canadian manufacturer (probably similar to what Staples has to offer). These act as a combined receipt/invoice. They have a blank space in the upper right corner and I use a stamp in this area to show my business name, phone number, and mailing address.

I haven't added any statement that limits my liability. There isn't as much litigation here as there is in the US (yet) and it's never been a concern for me. You have to consider the jurisdiction where you live, and any precedents set. The one thing I've learned is that you should keep the wording as simple as possible while still covering yourself.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

4x4American

I'm not sure if I really have to, but, here in America they have to label coffee as "hot" and gas as flammable..so I feel like it would only make sense to have some sort of something in case the fan gets hit by something stinky
Boy, back in my day..

alabama

@ 4x4American - you've got that right. There is a name for that. Wanna know what it's called?
CYA need I spell it out for you?  :)
John 15:13
Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

kensfarm

Cash only.. no receipt.. probably have to move to a diff. area every year.   

WV Sawmiller

How about "Don't call me if it breaks. I just saws um and leave um"
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

4x4American

:D :D :D  Don't call me if it breaks lol lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: alabama on February 17, 2017, 07:59:45 PM
@ 4x4American - you've got that right. There is a name for that. Wanna know what it's called?
CYA need I spell it out for you?  :)

Cover your assets  ;D
Boy, back in my day..

Seavee

Quote from: 4x4American on February 17, 2017, 09:15:54 PM
:D :D :D  Don't call me if it breaks lol lol lol
I like to use the old South Carolina guarantee,  If it breaks you can keep both pieces.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

terrifictimbersllc

I don't purport to disagree with anything said above. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!