iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

SwampDonkey,

CCC stood for Civilian Conservation Corps. It was a "make-work" program run by the government here in the states to put out-of-work men to work during the Depression. They lived in camps and planted trees, built roads and campgrounds, and other did other things to improve government land holdings.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

slowzuki

I have not met either but Marc Blanchard has a connection.  Our property has a Crown Reserve Road beside it.  The reserve was trimmed from our property back in the day but has alway remained with our land.  Our fields extend onto it and there is a 200 year old fence on the far side of it.

As a note for others, a Crown Reserve Road is a 66ft wide right of way owned by the Crown / Goverment for potential development.  People can apply to develop it but it is public land and can't be gated.

Crabbe built a road next to the reserve so they could gate it.  The problem is they hit a swamp and needed to divert onto what was part of our property at least on paper.  Marc came to visit our friend who owned the land at the time said sure but he didn't think he owned back that far.  A trip to the registry office showed he had been paying tax on it since 1946 when he bought the front parcel.  St. Anne Nackawic came to visit him and did a boundary adjustment.  He agreed they could have the land back if the taxes where paid back.  Well the lawyer came and they got the land back, but he never got his taxes back.  We bought the front part of the land after that and he passed away this spring.

So now St Anne is in bankruptcy, he never got his taxes back, we don't have as much land as what was described to us when we bought it and that is it!

I'm thinking about tracking down the history on it to see who really should have title to it.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 31, 2005, 04:48:13 PM
Slowzuki,
Was just wondering if you see Gary Goodwin or Marc Blanchard superviing the job. I don't know if they travel that far south. Just curious. I worked with Marc a few years before he went to Crabbe Lumber.

cheers

Ron Scott

~Ron

racer9

A couple of log hauler names around here,
"unchained"
"termite"
"toad"
"grumpy" ;D
Husky 345, Husky 55 rancher, Husky 372xp, Husky 288, Husky 395xp

tnlogger

well lets see if this works  :D this is the HD6E we've used for years. this thing will go places a billy would be scared to  gene
gene

Ron Scott

An Icy Day In The Woods The logger's pick-up towing the Iron Mule forwarder on its flat bed trailer spins out during a "freezing rain" on an icy hill top on the way to start a new timber harvest.

The entire unit slides backwards down the hill off the road and is luckily caught and held up by some trees to prevent rolling over in the swamp area below.

A "large wrecker" was called to winch the unit back on the road for delivery to the landing. An exciting and new experience for a new logger just starting out in the "life of a logger".

~Ron

Ed_K

I finally got some batt. for the camera, here are a few picts of our current job. This is some of the 30mbf of hardwood, we have a few sticks of veneer.

This is some nice whitepine.

This on is a 17ft whitepine we had a time with getting up the hill, ground is still froze, and it was a winch in and unreel and winch again, and it was one of the farthest tree down.

Ed K

Ed_K

This is starting to get easier putting in picts.
Here we are starting up with a hitch.

This is the last hill to the top, it a 40 deg slope.

This is Marty J s husband cutting a nice whitepine, he's getting his workout.

This is the noisy beast we're pulling in the wood with 453 detroit             (2 mufflers) earmuffs are required.

This is our model 30 MF with loader,forks and grapple, to sort and stack.

Ed K

sprucebunny

They are cutting some large trees along the road north of North Conway , NH for a bigger road and intersection. They had a whole tree chipper there as well as straight trucks removing saw logs. Took a picture of the shear.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

Got a few more pictures of the log hauling that was done up in Témiscamingue , Québec .
Barko 275B loader , Spruce and balsam for pulp  and sawlogs . The logs will be taken out at the yard with a slasher . These trees where taken down to make way for new road .

Western Star tri-axle with a load of popler logs and tree lenght

Western Star , with a load of white birch and maple , the saw logs will be taken out at the yard these tree where cut to make way for a new hauling road .

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Hey Ron, I bet that was fun on the ice. ;)

Ohio Bill, you can scale your images to 400 pixels wide and compress the image to get under 20 k. That's the nice thing about jpeg format. ;) I think DougInUtah had a link to a nice image processing program for free. Then there is also www.xat.com

Doug's Link
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

timberjack_teen

hey ron where are you based out of??? i would love to get you out on one of our operations this summer.
Anything but PONSEE!

Ron Scott

Timberjack_teen

I'm based in northwestern Lower Michigan and do travel across the UP some and elsewhere.
~Ron

spencerhenry

ohio bill, only 500 made! i saw one on ebay a few months back, only 900 hrs on it, but the winch was gone. is also one a mile west of crawford colorado, he also has a 220 both are parts machines i believe. i have a massey ferguson 220, my first skidder. old and abused, but just keeps going. for the small selective cuts that i do it is an awsome machine.

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder Enters the Landing. Treais timber harvest; 2/05

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwards Hardwood Sawlogs. Treais timber harvest; 2/05

~Ron

sprucebunny

I ran into this very interesting harvester when hunting for something...
Claims it can go over 5' high obstructions and work on side hill

http://www.voelkerequipment.com/a91pics.html
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Mike_P.

Joan:

That is an interesting machine.  It appears to change wheel positioning or stance, based on the work that it is doing.  It either involves a challenge for the operator or the unit's electronics, or both.

Thanks,

Mike

Dom

That is an interesting machine. Rottne has a harverster that will rise and lower. I beleive one of the reason which they make it so you change the ride is so that you can lower the center of gravity while harversting, and rise the machine when traveling on rough terrain. Its the Rottne 5005. There are a few videos on this site: http://www.rottne.com/uk/Movies/movie.htm.

Ron Scott

Two Iron Mule Forwarders At Work. Two Iron Mule forwarders are being used on this timber harvest. Treais Timber harvest; 2/05.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule Forwarder Works Aspen Area; Treais timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Iron Mule At the Aspen Landing/Decking Area. The logger's pick-up with snowplow is used to keep the access roads open. Treais timber harvest; 3/05.

~Ron

Ron Scott

Western Star Log Hauler. Hardwood sawlogs are being loaded for trucking to the purchaser's mill some distance away. Treais timber harvest; 2/05.

~Ron

slowzuki

Figured I'd post a pic of the logging winch we are using.  It is an old school Farmi with no butt plate and a self releasing snatch block worth its hefty weight in gold.

The owner has a Ford 7610 2wd with cab he uses it on which has a front mount snowblower that extends to the rear through the winch legs.

We are using it on a 4wd, 50 hp Kubota.  It does well but not quite enough weight for my taste.  It will pull 2 50-60ft, 16" diameter butt trees from the tops with tractor and trees in snow.  3 if on the flat or going a bit downhill.

Ron Scott

Kenworth Pulpwood Hauler. Hardwood pulpwood is being loaded for trucking to a pulp mill some distance away; Treais timber harvest; 2/05.

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!