iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal detectors

Started by hogdogman, February 18, 2014, 09:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogdogman

what do you all use or recommend for metal detection

bandmiller2

Myself I like something cheap and handy, DanG kids ran off with my cheapie detector. Expensive detectors like the coin hunters use have too many adjustments and are awkward to use. Some of the woodworker stores sell wand type  which are handy. All are of dubious value and most of us only use them if something looks suspicious. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

yukon cornelius

we use a regular ole metal detector like the coin hunters. we bought it for our son before any thoughts of milling. it has always worked for us except when we don't use it. we found metal in trees we couldn't believe there would ever be and near 18 feet high in the log. no idea how it got there or what it was but checked it several different times and it always picks up something there
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ET

I have been using a hand held Garrett wand for 2 years now. Using Lucas blades we cannot afford hitting metal. Its been working fine.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Using a metal detector takes out all the fun.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Small Slick

I have a bounty hunter II. It seems to work well. I got it on sale $240 or so off of about $400 retail. I don't know why it was on sale or how reputable it is. I have  ever found metal in logs when I've used it but found metal when I haven't used it.

John

Magicman

I do not scan logs, but I have recently bought one of these; Nail Finder for the customer to use if they wish.

I have had a Lumber Wizard for years but it had gotten cranky. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

I have one of the cheap wand types. Not the best, but beats nothing. Don't use it unless I suspect metal in the log.  It does work well for finding stuff I drop in the sawdust under the mill  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mt406

The one I have was around 200$, I would say worth it found my lost wedding ring of only 3 months in the saw dust.
And some nails in logs :)

hunz

Just recently bought a garret ace 250 to coin hunt the family farm. I had to justify the purchase, so I told the wife it was a necessity for finding hidden metal in logs. I'm sure if will pay back itself much faster with saved blades than coins!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Peter Drouin

Quote from: hunz on February 19, 2014, 12:24:19 AM
Just recently bought a garret ace 250 to coin hunt the family farm. I had to justify the purchase, so I told the wife it was a necessity for finding hidden metal in logs. I'm sure if will pay back itself much faster with saved blades than coins!

That's the one I have, Works great.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dboyt

I've got  Log Wizard, but seldom use it.  I could use one that detected when the blade is low enough to hit a clamp, though.

Here's the way I look at it:  Chance of metal in a log is about 1/20.  Time to detect metal, 3 minutes (.05 hr).  I would spend an average of an hour metal detecting for every time I find it.  On the average, the blade is half way through it's life, so I'm paying myself $15/hr to scan for metal when I could be making big bucks running the mill.

I do like the idea of giving the customer a metal detector to use.  Good way to keep him/her/the kids occupied while I'm working.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Jemclimber

Brand new blades, first or second pass, work great for finding metal, but i guess that's not what you mean.  :-X
lt15

Peter Drouin

Quote from: dboyt on February 19, 2014, 09:43:37 AM
I've got  Log Wizard, but seldom use it.  I could use one that detected when the blade is low enough to hit a clamp, though.

Here's the way I look at it:  Chance of metal in a log is about 1/20.  Time to detect metal, 3 minutes (.05 hr).  I would spend an average of an hour metal detecting for every time I find it.  On the average, the blade is half way through it's life, so I'm paying myself $15/hr to scan for metal when I could be making big bucks running the mill.

I do like the idea of giving the customer a metal detector to use.  Good way to keep him/her/the kids occupied while I'm working.

I cut a lot of logs, not all but I check the butt  logs and it takes less than 30 seconds. When you hit steel do you dig it out? Or do you keep going. 9 times out of 10 my blades are junk after I hit steel. So for me when I find steel I just made $25 . The price of a new blade. I think it takes just as long to dig the steel out before or after you find it with the blade. That's what works for me. good luck your way :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Cedarman

ERC has its share of metal.  Many times 3 bars indicate barbed wire, other times the strands stick out from the log.  Logs that have cut off limbs partially grown over indicate  yard or barnyard trees.  These get metal detected.  Any time we saw into metal that log and slab gets laid aside.  I then go over a bunch of logs and slabs at one time and salvage what can be salvaged.  Experience says nails are like mushrooms, find one and most likely find more.
We do not metal detect unless there are indicators in the log.
Absolutely great for finding missing log chains, dropped tools, nuts, etc.
Have found a great number of coins when looking for them over the years.
I use an expensive Tesoro.  Have used it for over 15 years.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ET

Not checking is when you use bad words. I check every board that comes off my mill. I use a lucas which each blade is not cheap. Ive now be sawing for over 2 years with no blade damage. Takes less than 15 seconds to check.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

lawnsbylane

I just bought   Garrett wand and its works great I picked it up at a pawn shop for 40 bucks it has worked great for me. Good luck

chopperdr47

So how deep have you been able to find metal with the Garret?
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Peter Drouin

Quote from: chopperdr47 on February 19, 2014, 10:11:33 PM
So how deep have you been able to find metal with the Garret?

I have the 250 big and long it will get steel 1" to 20" some time when the thing goes off the steel is on the other side of the log.
You have to check the log before you put it on the mill and away from it. If you're within 2' of the mill it will go off  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

dboyt

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 20, 2014, 06:20:50 AM
You have to check the log before you put it on the mill and away from it. If you're within 2' of the mill it will go off  ;D

It'll also pick up the metal in steel toe boots.  Took me a while to figure out where all the false readings were coming from.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ET

My garrett wand will find heavy iron/metal well over 6" deep. Nails and fencing 3-4" deep. I keep it hanging on my mill end post so I can access it for each new cut. Takes only seconds to do and works for me.

Magicman

I have been kinda wanting a metal detector for finding lost stuff so after reading several of the above posts, I ordered a Garrett Ace 250 today.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:57:28 PM
I have been kinda wanting a metal detector for finding lost stuff so after reading several of the above posts, I ordered a Garrett Ace 250 today.   :)

smiley_thumbsup :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 20, 2014, 07:57:28 PM

Give a review after you've used it please. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The above reviews were what sold me.  Peter and Hunz were mighty convincing.   ;D

I will continue to hand the customer the Bounty Hunter "Nail Finder" or the Lumber Wizard to scan logs.

Thank You Sponsors!