iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

Nesting update...

3 of the 6 chicks from the shop crane nest made it and went out on their own.

Here are the chicks from the cedar shack...

I think I see 5 little beaks in there? :D  They are quiet as a mouse and didn't make a move when I snapped the pic.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

That dish is pretty full. :D

Today off to work I came across two male grouse in the road. They are not all the shy in the deep woods and I had to toot to get them to run off into the bush. Saw another moose today to.  There is a wet area along the highway (well many of them) I always watch for them at this spot. I've seen 3 at a time there before. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

Looks like the migration has passed here. No new sightings in a week and resident birds are rearing young. Even the woods are quiet except for some robins and cardinals. Look forward to the nighthawk show every night though!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

Thursday I could here the nighthawks, but not their flying display. This was in the deep woods not near home. There were lots of flies for'm.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

The cedar shack clan has flown the coup!  It looks like they all made it out , too. 8) 

My son is happy because now he can get back in there for his continuing research on the amount weight that can be  added into this tiny little building - one pocketful at a time. ::) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Spooked a ruffed grouse from his log, heard a red breasted grosbeak or two, countless wood thrush, and tiny warblers of all kinds I couldn't begin to name. Robins all along the dirt roads.

Oh, what the heck: two moose, doe and fawn together all on roads.  Frogs down in a beaver pond. ;D

Roxie

and a partridge in a pear treeeee    smiley_singsongnote02
Say when

SwampDonkey

All in a days work. :D

sandhills

Sure helps to make the days work worthwhile doesn't it?   :)

Mooseherder

Had a visit from a Peacoock when I started the grill tonight.
He liked the sliver of smoked sausage I offered him and that was my first mistake.
Our dog run him up the tree shortly after I had to scoot him away from the food because he was ready to grab it.

WDH

I have never had BBQ peacock  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Yep, let us know how that one cooks up on the grill.

Might be real good too, and maybe a steady supply that will keep coming. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Do they release them to the wild down there, like they release pheasants up here?

He knows where the grub is at. ;D

Mooseherder

Probably taste like wild turkey. :D
We usually hear them down the street but that was the first time one hung out here.
He was used to humans.  I had enough of him when he jumped up on the side bricks.
I have seen some local news stories in the past where they have been considered a nusiance and neighbors wanted them gone but I think they may be protected.

Tom

Wouldn't that just be the pits?  Here you have an invasive species, feral in the wild, and some bureaucrat put it on the endangered species list?   Go figger.

We have them, now and again, in this community and they sound like a woman in dire need of assistance.  For some reason they don't last too long after their "pet" classification becomes old hat. :-\

miking

Saw the "chat dance" today. Yellow-breasted chats do a courtship flight with with fast but short wing beats and legs dangling, and is just hilarious to watch. Also saw orchard and northern orioles, yellow-billed cuckoo, sharpshinned hawk, eastern kingbird and my first purple martins of the year. A banner day!
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Burlkraft

I just got back from vacation and as I was filling the bird feeders this morning I noticed that a pair of Bluebirds have nested in the new house I put away from everything else   8) 8)

We have not had a successful nesting nesting in the 11 years I have been here.

Thanks Doc for the advise. It seems to have worked great!
Why not just 1 pain free day?

doctorb

miking-  I want to live in your back yard.  You see some great birds!

Burlkraft - Glad the advice was productive.  Wait for them to leave the nest and immediately clean out the box.  Sometimes they build nest upon nest, filling the box.   When it gets too full, they just stop using the box.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

miking

Quote from: doctorb on June 14, 2011, 01:14:02 PM
miking-  I want to live in your back yard.  You see some great birds!

Ha ha, I cheat. My work is in natural areas restoration and management and I get to spend all day in some high quality birding areas. Never hurts to keep your eyes peeled all the time though, with some binos close by.

SwampDonkey

I haven't heard any bitterns this spring, but I was not out on the woodlot that early, and when I was, I was sawing. Usually hear them every spring, weird sounding bird.

The deer flies are something fierce right now, do they count as birds? :D

They just completed a 4 year bird study here for the breeding bird atlas of the Maritimes. I signed up for it, but was too busy to participate. I get the news letters.

I think our barn swallows are starting to recover just from the numbers I am beginning to see. They have a ways to go though. They used to be thick for decades around here, then a cold spring wiped them out with snow and cold for several days in May. It wasn't disease, they starved. Those that didn't observe this event were just guessing at the cause.

miking

It's funny you brought up bitterns. I *may* have heard one the other day deep in some cattails. I never saw anything despite watching a long while through my binos, but the red wing blackbirds were mobbing something in there and once I heard something pushing aside the dense vegetation. A few times too I heard the deep "galoomp" sound they make from in there but it was only a single note and not the characteristic pattern of theirs. Could have been a lot of things and I guess I'll never know ...

thecfarm

I saw one of those a few weeks back. I had to look it up to see what it was. Never seen one before.This was down by the brook and meadow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

This is a great time of year for bird watching in our area. So many that we only see for a very short time as they migrate through. I think we may finally have bald eagles nesting along our crick line. It's too weedy and buggy for anyone to be in the area so I'm hoping the eagles I've seen lately are nesting there.

SwampDonkey

Boblinks seem to be more plentiful this year. The trouble with them is no one grows timothy hay much on these big farms. Just short crops like clover and other grasses that they cut for silage. They have to have tall grasses. They sound like they have short circuited when singing.  :)  Lots of red wings out near the beaver ponds these days. Might even be the odd rusty black bird to.

chain

At long last, a pair of eastern bluebirds have begun nesting in our yard bird box this last couple of weeks! I was showing the bird box to our 5yr. old grandson when out flew the female, I had no clue the birds were there. First ever. ;D

Eagles are back fishing the pond morning and evening, when will they bring out their fledglings? Last year seems was late July.

Thank You Sponsors!