iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

days registered

Started by Cedarman, January 20, 2005, 05:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

For some unknown reason I decided to look at what was at my registration site. I very rarely do that. I have been registered for exactly 1111 days.  That plus 84 cents and I got my coffee at the cafe this morning.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom

You've been around almost as long as dirt !   :D

I'm glad to hear that there is someone else, besides me, that takes note of stupid numbers like that.  Here's a funny story.

I have a 1988 Toyota 4wd 6cyl. pickup that I bought new. several years ago, I noticed that I was approaching 100,000 miles.  Now that's a long way in any body's book, even though there are some who do it regularly. I started watching the odometer and one evening returning from work I reached 99999.9 and it happened right at the entrance to my driveway !  DanG, I wanted my wife to see this. I pulled into the driveway and realized that I had forgotten the mail. I backed up to the road and, Lo and Behold! The odometer rolled backward.  A light went on in my head.  I turned the truck around and backed all the way down my driveway, almost a 1/2 mile, and was able to show my wife the odometer rolling almost exactly where I had seen it too. ;D  See, I had to drive back to the front of the driveway to make it happen again.  Like kids, We drove back and forth for a few times to have something to remember. :D

We watched her Buick roll 100000, 200000 and 300000. Then we gave it to the boy next door. :)  When it rolled 300000, a 3 didn't appear.  She was really miffed and called GM to find out why. They told her that they never figured anybody would do that so there was only a 1 and 2 on the upper end.  I'll bet one of their engineers spent a lot of money figuring out how to not make more numbers appear and spent more money to create a "wheel" without the other numbers, instead of just adding an already existing wheel like the others in the array. ???

I remember where that Buick rolled its odometer each time.  It wouldn't roll backward though. We could only do it once. :D

I also find myself looking at the number of members and number of posts and number of "reads" and birthdays with the same numbers too.  A fellow could really get hung up on this stuff and I haven't figured out what good it does to know it. :D :D :D

redpowerd

im allways doing the same, tom. theres allways numbers racing around my brain, and im NOT a NASCAR fan! allways counting steps, seconds, boards, trees, wagons, corn rows, acres, bushels, so on. and how they relate. i think i made the 80k post.

youll need to plop in front of the set sunday night to watch that new show on CBS: NUMB3RS! looks pretty cool.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

DanG

I'm guilty of doing the same sort of things. Always counting and figuring, but only on things that don't matter. ???  When I actually NEED to know, I hate figuring things up. ::) :D

Another habit I have, that annoy's me but I can't stop, is trying to align things. I catch myself closing one eye and moving my head from side to side to line up a couple of trees or other objects. It's probably why people that don't know me think I'm crazy.  People that know me, know that had nothing to do with it.

Cedarman, I noticed also that you have only posted 127 times in 1111 days.  That's pitiful.  You gotta do better. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Tom, the more I think about it the funnier that Buick story gets.  I can just hear them "engineers" discussing the odometer design.  "No use to put a 3 on there, this piece of crap will NEVER go that far."   ;D :D :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fstedy

8) 8) 8) Digital Watches 8) 8) 8) funny thing 11:11:11 seems to keep comming up just when you look at it and you know what happens in November you keep looking for 11:11 then 11:11:11 it keep you going all day.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Murf

I cheated when mine got nearly to 99,999 on the odometer, I pulled out the fuse that powers the dash and it stayed there till I got home  :D

Course the missus thought I was absolutely whacked to drag her out of the house so she could see it roll over to 100,000.

She's probably right too, but what the heck....  ::)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Cedarman

It must have been my subconscious keeping track. I can spend a lot of time looking at my odomotor waiting for that perfect number series to show up.  And DanG, I know all about cocking my head or moving it up and down toget a series of whatever to exactly line up. It's good to find other people marching to my kind of drum beat.
Now doing all this number crunching has got to use up brain space, so that is the reason I am getting more forgetful. Now what was I typing about?

moosehunter

I was working on my snowmobile one day with a friend helping, accually drinking beer and watching, when he says " I wonder how many times that track has gone around?". The next thing I know he has a pencil and paper and is figuring it out.
 121" track 1749 miles for those who care.
 I like numbers also, but I woulda used a calculator for that one!!
Moosehunter
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Furby

I have a pic of my Probe showing the od. when it rolled over to 200k. I pulled off the highway to take the pic. ::)

Captain

Hey Easy there DanG, I'm one of those engineers....well actually not.  I spend a lot of time telling them what they did wrong too. :o

Captain

DanG

Seem's like we've had this conversation before, Cap'n. :D :D  But, since you seem like a pretty decent chap, overall, I have refrained from telling all these folks about your darker side...you're an AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEER! :o  Now, though, you've let the cat out of the bag yourself, and you'll never get him back in there. ;D ;D :D :D :D

The most commonly used phrase, among auto mechanics is, "If I ever meet the (expletive deleted) that put that bolt there, I'll beat the (expletive deleted) out of him!  >:(

;) ;D :D ;D :D

Cedarman

Oh, you don't know how blue the air can get on a windy, drizzly day. Laying on wet ground trying (and that is about all you can do is attempt) to get cold stiff fingers around a wrench and then the bolt snaps off because of the salt encrustations.  Those design engineers ....well you know.

But when I have to work on my sawmill, I very seldom have trouble getting to the bolts or adjustments. Things fit properly. I bet the people who designed the sawmills were not engineers and knew they would have to work on them so made them with a little common sense.

ibbob

I caught a pic of the bike when it rolled 100k.  Was on an 11 day ride that covered 11,000 miles.
The "ib" in ibbob stands for Iron Butt.  :D

Bob

Tom

Sounds to me like you deseerve the handle. :D

ohsoloco

This thread reminds me of the time my Volkswagen Fox rolled over to 100,000 miles.  I was driving up Bellefonte Avenue in Lock Haven where I was going to college.  I knew it was coming up, and just happened to look at the odometer as it was happening.  Hard to stay on the road while you're staring at the dash  ::)  Gotta say, I was a little disappointed.  I was expecting it to just flash over to 100,000...but the DanG thing rolled over, and all the nines had barely budged yet  :-/

I also like to know how many steps are in a stairwell so I can walk them in the dark without tripping  :D

sigidi

Finally I understand, why this place feels so good - it's all the other weirdo's here ;)

Now before anyone goes half-cocked I was considered a weirdo with a mental disorder by some shrink cause I love numbers - they run around in my head all day... I worked with my brother in law for a time, a landscaper he is, well every barrow I filled had the same amount of shovels in, every load of pavers I picked up was the same amount and I picked up the same amount of timber at the start of the day as the finish. One day I saw a train rolling past a job we where doing and I got to wondering how much the dieso in that train would add up to - counting the containers and reading the capacity off one, then multiplying it out at an average price here in Os it took all of my eating time at lunch, but it was much better than the warm cheese and tomato sandwhiches I had.

I remember my army service number, my driver's license number, bank branch and account number, visa credit card number, number of hours on the mill, Klm's on the truck, workcover claim file number, just about anything with numbers. My biggest problem is if someone says to me about 50 or such like - I can't have 'about' and a number in the same sentance

So i was labelled a weirdo by some head shrinker, but now I know why it's so cosy here...with all the weirdo's ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Patty

I always count the steps in a stairwell, too.  ::)   Although I have never admitted it out loud before. Problem is I just don't count them once, I count them every time I go up or down them....as if they are going to change or something.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WH_Conley

HOORAY!!!!  I'm not crazy after all.

Or maybe I just got a lot of company. ???
Bill

Jeff

Remember the "count" from Sesami Street? a 1 a2 a3 BLAH HAH HA HA! :D

We call my brother-in-law "The Count". He counts everything. He even counts the white lines in the road when we go to the cabin, or if he aint counting the lines he is counting the reflective marking poles. He counts how many times he chews or how many bites in a hamburger or like Patty how may steps in the stairs. Has to count them going up and then coming down, and lordy, if the number aint the same we got trouble... :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Cedarman

In the predawn hours when I'm driving on the interstate and traffic is real light. I'll check my odomoter and see hour many miles I can go before meeting another car, double that and that tells me how far apart oncoming traffic is.

When flying over flatland where roads are on section lines, I'll count the seconds it takes to go 3 or 4 sections and then figure how fast we are going.

When reading the newspaper or magazine article, I'll mentally do quick calculation to see if the numbers make sense.  It is amazing how many mistakes there are.  Never take the numbers presented at face value.  

Buzz-sawyer

When on a long boring road trip I will calculate the distance between mile markers against the odometer, over1 , 2, 5, 10 miles so as to see precisely how far "OFF" my speedometer and odometer are.... :)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

J_T

Hey Buzz your odometer may be right someone may of moved the markers ;D
Jim Holloway

pifan

Yes you cought me I moved them all 2 ' to the north  :D

Buzz-sawyer

JT
I thought of that so I did calculations to compare the amount "off "per each 1, 5, or 10 mile increment....Now that is bored  :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!