iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pex pipe question

Started by xlogger, February 12, 2012, 09:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

I'll be getting my CB OWB this week. So I'm off the Home Depot today to get wire and other things I might need to get it going. Question on the insulated pex pipe. I'm going to be running it under a dirt drive to my home. I'll hopefully going to get it down a few feet if I don't hit big rocks. I'm planning on putting the part that goes under the drive into a pcv pipe. Will a 6" pcv be big enough for me to feed the pex through?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Holmes

6" should be large enough.. Look up Dean186's installation of his pex pipe . He did a great job.  Please do not use uninsulated pipe or you will be putting as many btu,s into the ground as you will be putting into your house.  1 cord for ground warming 1 cord to heat the house. ;)
Think like a farmer.

Texas Ranger

Probably, I have run a little of the stuff, and turning corners is the hard part.  It will also degrade in ultraviolet light.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

Should go down at least a few feet,but what ever you can do. I know what rocks are. Use sand to back fill with. Probably only talking about 12 feet wide? Seal up the ends real good too. Keep the water out of the pvc pipe. What I used would go through,but have no idea what you have for size or type.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mrwood

If you are talking about running the thermopex inside of PVC. 6" would be enough. The entire diameter of thermopex is 4.5"

xlogger

Yes that is what I was talking about. Going to have to go to plumbing outlet. Home depot didn't have it they only when to 4". I level my area where the stove is going, ready for it now and all the work that goes with it. The dealer said it would be $2000 installed. I figure I can put it in a few days. So that means a week or more. At my age I can figure I can do something in a day but it takes 2 or more.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

DeerMeadowFarm

Make sure you dig a little deeper at the ends where you plan to bend it up to 90°; that stuff does not like to bend and you need (or it certainly helps) to have it go down 4' or more (say from a 2' trench depth) at the end to make the radius for the bend.

Just went through this myself.....good luck!  ;)

sawdustandmud

According to my CB dealer the PEX insulated pipe is suited to run under the driveway as long as its packed in sand. I have installed 3 CB OW Furnaces  and have never run it in a conduit. I had a piece of Thermal Pex left over and i wanted to see for my self just how tough it was. We have a Long 460 tractor weighing probably 4000 lbs, drove over the pex laying on top of the ground, the tractor had no effect on the thermal Pex a tall.  dig a trench 2'6", lay 6" of sand put thermal Pex in and cover with 14" of sand then gravel, dirt ect and you will never have a problem. If you choose the conduit will be a cheap insurance policy and some piece of mind, go for it, Its only a few more bucks , keep in mind Pex is tough to work with in colder temps ..  .John
if your pants and equipment doesn't have sawdust and mud on them them your not trying hard enough!

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: sawdustandmud on February 13, 2012, 10:13:25 PM
keep in mind Pex is tough to work with in colder temps ..  .John

Yup and it's isn't much better when it's warm out!  ;) :D

Logging logginglogging

yeah, I just musseled mine into place when it was warm out.
That stuff is tough as hell and sealed,
so i wouldent worry if i were you. Just bury it

Logging logginglogging

so i wouldent worry if i were you. Just bury it

Thank You Sponsors!