iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Sawing

Started by ARKANSAWYER, August 20, 2004, 08:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcarver

I was born in Louisiana but grew up in Wisconsin.  A couple of years ago I decided I wanted to see the area where I came into the world, so my wife and I spent some time traveling in Louisiana.

We did a little touring in the swamps with a Cajun guide.  A half hour boat ride back into the swamp I asked him if he carried a compass with him. He said no, I grew up here. I said well nothing better happen to you because I couldn't find my way out of here alone without a compass.  He laughed and said if you were in here alone you might not come out, even with a compass.  He was right, of course. Nature sometimes deals harshlly with ignorance.

Now that doesn't mean that I wouldn't travel the swamps with you, FTH. You know the territory.  
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Fla._Deadheader

BOY ARE YOU NAIVE  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

When the old timers kicks in, I just figure to lay down and let nature have me !!!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Woodcarver

Guess I'd better make sure we have a compass along, huh. :D :D :D

Woodcarver

Paschale

Snow snakes?  SNOW snakes?  Say it ain't so!!!  All this time I thought snow was a sure fire way to keep away from those nasty, slithery critters!  We got our share of garter snakes, but hardly anything poisonous (except for the Massasauga rattler--they're pretty scarce) but I thought those darn things liked it hot and humid and sticky.  But SNOW snakes?  That just goes against nature!  Kirk, you gotta tell us a bit more about these interlopers to the snowy regions--I bet they like grits, so they're probably true southerners in disguise!    ;):D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Woodcarver

Snow snakes must really be cold-blooded.  :D :D :D

Wudman

I've worked extensively throughout the Southeast.......from Virginia to Florida west to eastern Texas.....booger hole swamps to the hills.  The most vile of any of the woodland pests is undoubtedly a mosquito.  They can make life absolutely miserable, as I have found nothing I can tolerate that does a decent job of repelling them.  Ticks and chiggers fit into this same category prior to the introduction of Permanone, but it does an excellent job of keeping them at bay. Prior to it, I've had both Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.  I guess next in line of dread is the deer fly.  One good thing is that they are slow and noisy.  You have an honest shot at getting him before he gets you, but they counteract this with pure numbers.  If a deer fly ever develops the stealth technology of a mosquito, they will be deadly.  Next in line would be a fire ant.  If you are somewhat careful, you can avoid these to some extent, but one misplaced step will cause you to have a bad week.  Assorted stinging insects fall next in line.......yellow jackets, red wasps, hornets, and the usually peaceful honey bee.  The worst I have every been stung was by honey bees.  Bringing up the rear, in my opinion, would be the serpent.  Working in cottonmouth or rattler country, I normally wear my snake chaps.  I've been struck three times in my life, all by copperheads.  Twice I was hit on the boot, once about mid-calf.  I actually stepped on all three.  Leather boots and chaps prevented any injury.  An old timber rattler cut a few years off my life outside of Ashboro, NC.  I had been marking property boundary lines on a tract that I bought the timber.  It was July and hot as blue blazes.  I had made it most of the way around the tract when I got back to the paved road near my truck.  I stopped by the truck for water.  I only had a few hundred feet of line left to mark, and I pulled my chaps off and threw them in the back of the truck.  I went across the road to finish.  There was a blown down VA Pine at the end of the line.  I stepped across the butt and felt the ground move.  The old boy shot out about three feet in front of me and coiled........48" long with 16 rattles and a button.  I guess I should have let him go since he didn't ruin my day, but my walking stick fired on instinct.  My logging foreman asked me not to show it to his crew, otherwise they wouldn't work another day.
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Fla._Deadheader

Wudman, Ya need to get ya some "Tea Tree Oil" or Melaleuca Oil. Nearly any kind of sting, from Fire Ants to Man-O-War, will be near instantly neutralized with this oil. You will have the little puss sacks from the bite, but, if you don't scratch the bite, it will NOT burn.  

Ask them Aussies about it. They know it works. Not sure about the Kiwi's ???

Ticks are another problem and snakes I haven't tried it on. We use 100% DEET for Skeeters and flies. If ya don't sweat it right off, it works great. Forget that fancy sporting goods Off and Repel. That's like Perfume. ::) ::)  

Ask around for someone in your area that is an Agent for Melaleuca Products, which sells like Amway Products, but, not associated.

We have used it on severe jellyfish stings and it takes the fire out RAT NOW. ;) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paschale

OK Kirk, I'm thinking you're pulling me leg about the ole snow snakes.   :D  I guess I'm a bit gullible.  I didn't doubt you, honestly, and thought I'd do a google search to see what these darn snowy snakes looked like anyway.  I was picturing an all white slithery thing, the reptillian equivalent of an arctic fox or polar bear.  I guess I'm a bit of a rube!   ;D  Anyway, I found this link pretty interesting.   :D :D

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/snwsnk/snwsnkF.html

You had me going, Kirk.  I really believed you!   ::)   :D :D

Paschale

Well, they certainly must be elusive creatures, since now hearing about their method of attack, little did I know, but I've fallen victim to the dastardly snow snake myself on more than one occasion!   :D :D :D  Unfortunately, there was no bruising of the head of those darn snow snakes, just on my backside!   :D

DanManofStihl

Its hard to believe their are actually snakes that can live in the cold the winter is when I get almost all my wood cut and split I never worry about snakes in the winter I always just figured they were Hibernating and stuff I did run across a 3 foot copper head when I was moving a large lot of wood before he could get up I nailed him with a 12 guage I had in the truck alittle scared the rest of the day but not to bad. Lately though it has been another story we have had 6 snakes in the last two weeks 4 at our house and two at my job sites I over them I just want them to be gown so I can cut some firewood.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

ARKANSAWYER

When I got to Alaska I was warned about snow snakes.  I even saw their tracks across the snow but I had been stationed down in Texas and they got some snakes down there.  But come on now, how bad could they be?  After I saw several bitten and one who died from it I knew they were real.  Then one day at -35 while crossing a glaicer I saw my first one.  It bit me on the a$$ and I like to froze to death most quick.  I can tell this for sure it does not matter weither you step on it or it comes up your pants leg when you are bit it hurts and stays with you.   Snow snakes,  You can keep them up north and not hurt my feelings one bit.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Three snakes today... 

We were sawing some blocking out of some big old black oak logs and had one with a hole in the heart.  I sawed all the lumber off'n it and only had a boxed hole left.  I sawed down the middle to make it easy to throw it on the slab stack.  Mary pulled the top part off and got REAL excited.  She could see a snake down in the section that was still on the mill.  I, being the gentleman I am,  came around and got a hold of the chunk on the opposite end of where the snake was.  I then told Mary got get a hold and we'd toss it on the slab pile.  She refused. So I took the snake end and she reluctantly took the other.  She kept an eye on the slab stack until it was full and she emptied it on the fire. I asked her if the snake got out.  She said she didn't know.  Last she seen was that it was holding its head out of the chunk like it was questioning what was going on.  On her next trip,  it wasn't there. So...??

We stopped for dinner and were walking from the sawshed when I spotted a brown snake about the size of a big night crawler.  I pointed it out to Mary.  She asked if it was dead.  I said it looked dead.  She asked if I'd stomped it.  I told her no because it looks dead.  I then poked it with my toe.  Pretty stiff.  She still didn't trust that snake.  They're sneaky you know.  She got a hoe and wacked it couple of times for good measure.

Later in the day.  Mary got to dancing around the off end of the mill again.  There was another black snake under the mill.  Or, more accurately,  three pieces of black snake under the mill.  Apparently the two black snakes were in the hollow log.  Although in three pieces,  it'd still squirm.  I raked it out and took it to the woods about 30 yards away.  There it could rest in pieces. 

I got to thinking about Mary hacking the little brown snake with a hoe.  I was reminded of the Bob and Tom radio show.  Any time they'd bring up the word 'Godzilla', you'd hear a bunch of panicking Japanese. I just wonder if in the snake world,  their greatest fear in a grey headed grandma with a hoe.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

rbarshaw

Several years back I was skinning a big old 6' diamond back rattler on the tail gate of my pickup, I had cut off its head first, about the time I got near three feet down from the head end I guess I hit a nerve, the thing reared up and struck me in the left forearm with the stump of its neck. Brused the heck out of my Dang arm and gave me a bad case of the shakes, I was not able to even get myself to go near it till the next day.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ARKANSAWYER

This little fellow showed up at the new sawyard.   Being a King snake he did not get the Bible opened up on him.   But yesterday I saw a snake in the mill pond on the new log yard so his days are numbered.
ARKANSAWYER

UNCLEBUCK

This is interesting reading this and seeing the pictures .  Where I live we get the black and yellow garden snake which are harmless , the little 4 legged swifts where if you step on their tail it falls off and they keep on truckin . Boy I just couldnt be around poisonus snakes , I suppose I will have a dream about snakes tonight . That is one heck of a picture ARKY , I like Mary's way the best with the garden tool  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Thank You Sponsors!