iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon tips

Started by Dwayne Ferguson, April 15, 2008, 02:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwayne Ferguson

HI I'm new to the forum and was wondering if any one else is having bad luck with oregon tips after they changed the design. 
I'M only getting two or three week from them the old design i was getting about three months.

beenthere

:D :D
I was going to answer that, 'til I saw the avatar.... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Windsor tips don't last as long as they used to either.  I'm trying some GBs now.  I thought it might have had something to do with the Poulan bar oil I was running but switching didn't make any difference and I could buy a lot of new tips for the cost difference of the oils.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maineloggerkid

you mean tips as in bar tips? I have run mine for about 5 months on one saw, and am nowhere near needing a new one.  On my other saw at school, I have had the same bar nad tip for 2 years, and it is just starting to need replacment.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Dwayne Ferguson

I'm going to try a Tsumura bar from a local online store but i still have three really good oregon bars. Dose anyone know another brand of tip that fits them i know canon tips fit but are they just a black oregon?

Dwayne Ferguson

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on April 15, 2008, 05:35:07 PM
you mean tips as in bar tips? I have run mine for about 5 months on one saw, and am nowhere near needing a new one.  On my other saw at school, I have had the same bar nad tip for 2 years, and it is just starting to need replacment.
in the crew i work in its hard not to use the tip. in new zealand we process the logs different we log make it on the skid the log are normally jammed up close together so you have to bore cut a lot of the time . Saws are going none stop about 8 and a half hours a day minis fill ups and  sharpening. and Then add in the last few sites have been on sand. So yep i guess they have been getting abused a bit but no different to the old tips. 

Dale Hatfield

Working in sandy gritty conditions ,I would get a solid nose bar . Friends that log in Florida cant run a sprocket for very long because of the gritty sandy crud they work in.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dwayne Ferguson

So they still make a solid nose bar? my dad had one on his old saw but the local saw shop told me they only make sprocket tip bars now.

Corley5

Check out Bailey's selection of bars.  I'm sure they've got em.  I remember tips lasting a LONG time.  Now it seems common for them to fail. 

Dale Hatfield

Isnt GB bars made in your part of the world. I know that they still make solid tip bars. Baileys always has a selection of solid nose bars. Check the clearance and closeout tab for a good deal on bars and chains.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dwayne Ferguson

Thanks just looked on Bailey's for the first time and was amazed at the price. we pay a lot more in New Zealand even with shipping cost and the exchange rate.

sawguy21

Quote from: Dwayne Ferguson on April 16, 2008, 12:51:48 PM
So they still make a solid nose bar? my dad had one on his old saw but the local saw shop told me they only make sprocket tip bars now.
The hard nose bars are still made by the major manufacturers but certainly are not as common anymore. We sell them to pile driving companies that require under water cuts, the sprocket tips will not live in the dirty salt water environment.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Maineloggerkid

Quote from: Dwayne Ferguson on April 16, 2008, 03:00:26 AM
Quote from: Maineloggerkid on April 15, 2008, 05:35:07 PM
in the crew i work in its hard not to use the tip. in new zealand we process the logs different we log make it on the skid the log are normally jammed up close together so you have to bore cut a lot of the time . Saws are going none stop about 8 and a half hours a day minis fill ups and  sharpening. and Then add in the last few sites have been on sand. So yep i guess they have been getting abused a bit but no different to the old tips. 

Herre in Maine, we bore-cut every tree.

SawTroll

What I like about the Oregon tips is that they a lot longer than some others, eating more of the wear in the tip, so it actually makes sence to replace them.... :)
Information collector.

Dwayne Ferguson

my oregon tips haven't been wearing out the sprocket has been braking in to two pieces same way each time . 

amberwood

yep, GB products are made just down the road from me in Melbourne.

http://www.gbbar.com.au/product.htm

and what they dont have listed they can make.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

Maineloggerkid

Dwayne, You must be ard on the riggin' :D.   Just kidding, I honestly don't have a clue what is going on there. :-\

jokers

Cannon and Bailey`s Woodsman Pro tips are said to be tougher than the OEM Oregon tip but made to fit the Oregon bar. I bore all the time and haven`t experienced the failer that you are, but alas, Oregon bars in general are not what they used to be.

BTW, someone mentioned GB. While I`ve found them to be no better than Oregon bars it might be noteworthy that the company has been bought out by Stens, quality may change.

Dwayne Ferguson

my boss told me today that he was going to shout me a couple of new bars for doing a good job so i told him i was going to get one form baileys and he told me to get two and he will pay for them and the shipping so whats the best they have got? 

SawTroll

Quote from: Dwayne Ferguson on April 21, 2008, 05:52:02 AM
my boss told me today that he was going to shout me a couple of new bars for doing a good job so i told him i was going to get one form baileys and he told me to get two and he will pay for them and the shipping so whats the best they have got? 

Probably Cannon in Woodsmanpro dress - but they also are very heavy compared to most other bars....... :-\
Information collector.

Corley5

I've looked at the Woodsman Pro bars but haven't bought one because of the cost.  Are they worth the extra $$$  ???  I'm not satisfied with the wear I'm getting from Windsor and Oregon bars these days.  They just don't last like they did 15 years ago  ;) ;D

Dwayne Ferguson

woodsman sounds good to me  :) is it worth giving a gb titanium ago to. i tried one of the white and black one a few years back and didn't think much of it but the description baileys gives of the titanium sound really impressive .   

Thank You Sponsors!