iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planer electric motor capacitor

Started by barbender, June 22, 2014, 12:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the General Board, but here goes. I have a Grizzly 15" planer with a 2hp 220 motor. It has a problem where when I hit the start button, it kicks on just enough to barely rotate the motor, say 1/2 a turn. Then nothing, I can hit the off switch, hit the on again, if I keep doing that once in a while it catches and takes off. Does this sound like a capacitor problem? I can see a spark where a couple of wires are arcing under the connection, but they are good and tight. So I don't know if they are the problem or if a bad capacitor is overloading something. Looking for ideas here.
Too many irons in the fire

36 coupe

Replace the capacitor and check the starting switch.A planer should have a sealed motor to keep dust out.

barbender

I went and dug a little deeper into the switch, as the arcing had me suspicious. I got into the contact points, and I could see they were burnt and the back one was bent back so it wasn't making a good connection. I think it's likely why it got hot in the first place. I bent it back, tried it and it fired right up. I'll probably need a new switch eventually.

yukon cornelius

right on! I hate to just throw parts at a problem. I own a multi-meter with a capacitor tester. it wasn't an expensive meter either. it has paid for itself over and over. you might find an hvac shop nearby that could test it if needed.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

barbender

There's a motor shop in town I was going to bring it to if I didn't get it figured.

Left Coast Chris

I have the same planer and it takes a new capacitor about every 3 or 4 years.  It seems to mostly occur when all the stores are closed and you need it the most.  Oh well, they are good planers otherwise.  Glad you got hours going without new parts!  8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

36 coupe

Its best to keep a spare capacitor on hand.A water pump  motor will burn up if the capacitor or starting switch fails.Same thing will happen to air compressors.

barbender

I'm thinking I should probably just replace the switch and capacitor then.

Thank You Sponsors!