iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl air filter cover

Started by timberfaller390, February 05, 2009, 10:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberfaller390

I was watching my ax men dvd's tonight and noticed one of stump branch's fallers had a stihl with an odd air filter cover. It was yellow and also looked more square with sharper corners than a normal cover. Anybody know anything about this. Is it something aftermarket or homemade?
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Reddog

Ed

ErikC

I have one on a 066. Kind of like the difference between a stock filter on your diesel pickup and a K&N. Easy to change. I guess they'd work even better if you opened up the muffler too.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

I've got a big fat K and N on a 2100 Husqvarna . That thing has a lot of suface area and would run a long time before it plugged up .

I imagine those big filters are a west coast thing because of the soft woods .

ErikC

Also the big wood and long bars make any extra power much desired. It does wake up a saw a fair amount just adding more airflow.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Al_Smith

Quote from: ErikC on February 06, 2009, 11:03:29 AM
   I guess they'd work even better if you opened up the muffler too.
No doubt .It takes fuel to make power .If it can't get out ,it can't get in .

I guess they get a little fussy in those western states about running unrestricted exhausts from what I've heard . How much actual muffler modifications are actually done there is something I can't really say as I'm a couple thousand miles away .

Around here you can run them loud enough to wake the dead and make dogs howl a quarter mile away if you so desired . :D Ear plugs are a pretty good idea though if you go that route .

ErikC

The main thing we have to be careful of is spark arresting for fire. As long as there is a spark arrestor it is legal. Some are hard to convince if it looks like it was modified though. There are mods all over I assure you.

Rockfarmer

I was thinking about putting the chop saw intake and filters (ts 510) on my 051. What the heck,.. it would look kind of funny but for those long milling cuts it would hold a pile of sawdust and stihl breath good  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!