iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping white oak from MA to FL question

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 17, 2014, 12:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Anybody got any ideas about how to ship two pieces of air dried or nearly green white oak 8/4 x 11 x 7' from MA to FL?

I don't have a clue how to research this?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Den Socling

The other night I was looking at one of those sites that sells overpriced small quantities of lumber to hobbyist. It mentioned how they shipped and I thought to myself, "I'll have to remember that shipping company". Naturally, I forgot. But I would look at these guys and see how they ship small quantities.

VictorH

Hi Jim

Based on Fedex basic shipping info here:  http://images.fedex.com/us/services/pdf/packaging/GrlPkgGuidelines_fxcom.pdf

It should fit both ground and home delivery specs.

Victor

dgdrls

Quote from: Den Socling on January 17, 2014, 12:58:31 PM
The other night I was looking at one of those sites that sells overpriced small quantities of lumber to hobbyist. It mentioned how they shipped and I thought to myself, "I'll have to remember that shipping company". Naturally, I forgot. But I would look at these guys and see how they ship small quantities.

This place?? http://www.uship.com/

DGDrls

Red Good

Call and ask at Yellow Freight or Old Dominion .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Brad_bb

Are there restrictions on shipping green wood so as not to transfer bugs?  I  thought technically shipping state to state lumber has to be dried/kiln dried? 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mmartone

How about Greyhound? I used to ship some car parts with them..
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

Piston

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 17, 2014, 12:24:37 PM
Anybody got any ideas about how to ship two pieces of air dried or nearly green white oak 8/4 x 11 x 7' from MA to FL?

I don't have a clue how to research this?

Jim Rogers

Jim,
Just curious, is this a sort of sentimental piece of wood?  Seems it wood be cheaper/easier to buy or mill it?

What part of Florida?

As you know from my firewood moving thread, I've been in contact with the MA forester regarding moving logs/lumber. It doesn't seem to be an issue but PM or call me if you want the contact info.
-Matt
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

red oaks lumber

we ship wood all across the country, never has anyone asked or no paperwork asking if the wood is green or kiln dried.
any frieght company will take it ,make a small skid to put it on.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

I shipped boards to Oklahoma with UPS.  Just taped them together with shipping tape.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for all your comments, suggestion and advice.
I am still researching this and I will post the solution or method once I have selected one that works.

The customer is making a Windsor chair and has been steam bending kiln dried wood and it has been breaking on him.
So his idea is to try some green or air dried white oak.

I would happily past anyone in FL who has air dried white oak on had his contact info if they want it. And they can make the sale as long at 5% goes to the forum.

Jim Rogers

Cedarman

We ship a lot of lumber FEDEX.  We recommend planing the lumber to size or just a little oversize.  This reduces weight.  Cost of planing actually saves enough in shipping to pay for the planing.  We also want to cut the lumber just a few inches longer than is needed. 
Will your customer use the wood at 7' or shorter lengths.  Long lengths incur higher shipping costs.
It is normally cheaper to send 2 boxes at 65#, then one box at 130#.
Unboxed lumber costs an extra $5.00 per package. At least for us it does.
Does FEDEX stop by your place or will you have to take to a FEDEX store.  We never ship UPS as their charges are always a good bit higher, but might pay to check their prices just in case.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

maple flats

If you set up an acct. FedEx will pick up at your place. For me the cost is $3.00 per pick-up, regardless of the number of packages or shipments. I can ship 5-6 packages, each to a different address for the 1 charge of $3.00. I haven't shipped any long dimensions so don't know that aspect. I find FedEx to be cheaper than UPS for what I ship (syrup). However in lighter weights the USPS flat rates are better. They don't have a 7' long flat rate box.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

scsmith42

Quote from: Cedarman on January 19, 2014, 12:15:28 PM
We ship a lot of lumber FEDEX.  We recommend planing the lumber to size or just a little oversize.  This reduces weight.  Cost of planing actually saves enough in shipping to pay for the planing.  We also want to cut the lumber just a few inches longer than is needed. 
Will your customer use the wood at 7' or shorter lengths.  Long lengths incur higher shipping costs.
It is normally cheaper to send 2 boxes at 65#, then one box at 130#.
Unboxed lumber costs an extra $5.00 per package. At least for us it does.
Does FEDEX stop by your place or will you have to take to a FEDEX store.  We never ship UPS as their charges are always a good bit higher, but might pay to check their prices just in case.

Jim, I second Cedarman's recommendation.  I ship lumber out every week via FedEx Ground or LTL.  Orders over 300 lbs or so are cheaper via LTL.  Lengths greater than 8' also must go via LTL.

If you can break your green oak into package less than 8' long, and less than 70 - 80 lbs, you're best option is FedEx Ground.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mesquite buckeye

There are cheapo freight sites on the net, kind of like the discount travel websites. Lots of times you can get a deal from a deadheader returning from a delivery. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Dodgy Loner

I've shipped 7' cherry 4x4s thru UPS. It was pricey - around $170 - but I think the pricing gets even higher if the package is over 70 lbs. I shipped in 2 packages to keep the weight down.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Jim_Rogers

Anybody want this order?

I really don't want to deal with it at all.

Someone someplace closer to him then me must have some air dried white oak to sell.

Jim Rogers

WDH

I might do it, but what I have is quartersawn, so it will have to be priced accordingly.  Do you know what the customer wants to do with it?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WDH

Jim,

This individual contacted me via my website, probably accessed it from my FF Profile.  I ended up shipping him 6.7 BF of 9/4 air dried white oak for $50.  Just wanted to close the loop.

I owe the Forum $2.50  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jim_Rogers

Thanks, I never dug out the beams that I was going to re-saw into his stock. They are below some other wood and covered with snow.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!