iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitter

Started by brad83091, March 19, 2014, 11:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad83091

Hello all.  I'm just wondering what peoples opinion on the size of "h" iron that should be used as the main beam where the ram is attached to

Is it the case of bigger is better.

I have a 6ft length of 8" x 8"   10mm thick. H iron.  I think myself that is plenty.

What do ye all think
Thank you

dave_dj1

There are a few variables that need to be considered, what size ram, how much pressure and what type of wood, what kind of wedge, just to name a few. I have a 5x5x 3/8 with a knife wedge and it works ok, I believe that my valve is a bit on the weak side and I have stopped the ram dead in a knotty piece but I figure that's my insurance policy rather than
davesomething apart.

brad83091

Thanks for the reply

Just an update.         I got a 2.5m long, half inch thick web, "h" iron the other day.  :)

My theory is the stronger the steel is the better.     Just my opinion.

Al_Smith

The 8" stuff should work .

Fact being as I stare put my window from where I am making this post are two splitters .One is my homebuilt which is over kill with a 10" wide flange 72 pounds per foot .The other is a factory built rated at 28 ton,a lie of course but it has an 8" beam .

Actually if you use a knife edge which doesn't put as much strain on the system you can get by with less heavy steel .I also have an electric unit that only has a 4" beam about 3" wide flanges ,no problem .

r.man

I like the idea of drop on wedges that fit over a welded on knife. With this system the knife could be used for hard splitting wood and a wedge or four way could be dropped on in easier wood. Not my idea, saw it somewhere.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Gearbox

I am useing a 5 in top 8 jn web all 1/4  with a 4 in cylinder  relief set a 1700 the beam flexes alot if I stick the wedge . I think I would start bending things if i turned it up much more . Hope this helps . Gearbox
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

SPD748

I build my splitter around a W10 x 33lb beam. It's 10" tall x ~8" wide. The top and bottom 'plates' are ~7/16" thick and the web is ~9/32" thick. I have a 5" cylinder with a pressure relief setting of 2000 psi. After many dozens of chords ran through, I've had no problems.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

711ac

I built one about 35 years ago with a 8" 18#/ft house beam. I was young, the beam was free. I should have given me problems by now. Nope, I'll watch it flex and twist a little, but I'm still waiting for it to fail so I have a reason to build another one! It has a (about) 4" x 40" cyl. from a forkilft junkyard in it and pushes a wedge (it can be used vertical) that is about 10" tall. I'm still amazed that I haven't bent it up in all those years.

(op; either of your beams will be fine!!)

Thank You Sponsors!