iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

Best thing I ever did for myself ,trade wise, was to take a night course in welding 15 years ago.I'm not great but haven;t had anything come apart on me yet.I love being able to do my own work,welding,plumbing,electrical,carpentry and sawmill have saved me and my wife a lot of money over the years.
 This forum and the internet have provided a lot of ideas and practical help.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Mike,nice line about the Christmas present.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Its okay if the welder is a present to yourself.  Itll keep you out of trouble too most of the time. 
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

I got a late start in life. I was 18 when starting to weld. Dad got me started.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Puffergas

Quote from: mike_belben on November 19, 2018, 06:32:30 PM
I love the bootyfab equipment over in scandinavia but i just cant figure what 30 dudes actually do with a few debarked fenceposts.  How can there be money in this?  The economics always look like sending 5 workers and 20 spectators to go fetch a dozen eggs.  What am i missing?

Mike, the language in the video is foreign to me but the event reminds me of out classic car shows or tractor shows.

The equipment reminds me of the days of my grandfather. Back then there was this farm community thing going on. One farmer would have a harvester and another would have a planter so they would team up and help each other out. So equipment was also a barter chip, like money. In that outdated community mind set I could see one farmer owning a PTO post debarker and five other farmers teaming together to pound out some posts for all. But we became much smarter and realized that those other farmers were competitors that need to be out produced and crushed like the bugs that they are.  ;)
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Not this guy.  I send customers to the 2 nearby wood dealers early on.  When they run out i start peddling mine and their low prices become irrelevant.  
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Sure has been a busy fall. Winter has come early with wind chills down around -20 the last few days. Interesting the way these projects evolve.   Started out just wanting something to back drag the landing and access road so when it froze over night I would have an opportunity to get in and out on the frost.   Started with this 8ft bumper.

Worked great  ,then wanted to be able to push slash in tight quarters so had to narrow it in.The brush would come back over the the top so added 2 pieces of channel.

Used 3pt pin setup so I could change blades.  Then Mr Snowstorm got chattin about plowing with a v blade. Up to this point I had plowed with a scraper blade on the back which meant removing the winch plowing then putting winch back on. In good weather small job but a pain in sub zero temps. So last year made a poke at a v blade.

Well this year added a 6" lip at a 45 to keep the snow from rolling over the top. So if  any help to anyone sure am impressed the way a v blade handles opening a road. I have pushed a lot of stuff with blade and bucket but the v rocks. There is no kicking sideways and one pass can do the job. the 3pt allows you to change the angle and by the nature of the v it does a great job of backdragging and leveling.... anyway for what its worth....well $214.00 really   :D

logon

Hilltop366

And you get to plow looking forward!

Hard to beat a V plow, its amazing how much more snow you can get through compared to a straight blade.

The scoop function on my truck plow is almost as handy as the V.

snowstorm

stephen where are the strobe lites?? gotta have em the more the better

Stephen Alford

I hear ya my friend getting right on it...going with da rotating red...lol

Hope all you folks have a great thanksgiving....if yer shy on a turkey their is a huge flock in Ottawa ;D
logon

snowstorm

they let you run red strobes over there? mine are all amber

snowstorm

what happens when the battery runs flat

Grandpa

Need one of those chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter :D
Quote from: snowstorm on November 24, 2018, 04:54:52 PM

Dave Shepard

Quote from: snowstorm on November 24, 2018, 04:54:52 PM
Just grab another battery. 

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen Alford

Well in the spirit of full disclosure..... nights seem really black this time of year and I do have an excellent head lamp.  Secondly I have to take the battery out of the lawnmower or it will freeze. It actually takes a good 12v charge and is easy to store and handle.  Three lights in the bag with the battery.  A yellow flashing strobe. a work light and a corker of a headlight I can use while running the log loader.  I know....I know those voices in yer head are not real....but sometimes they come up with a "bright Idea"... :D

Dave is that an adze on the window sill  ?
logon

mike_belben

As milwaukee 18v tools replaced all the ryobi junk i owned, the batteries and chargers just sat there.  Ofcoarse all the pistol grip flashlights had died early on and were just collecting dust also.  So i tossed the broken bulbs, bolted on a thick aluminum plate with wires coming out the front and then heat pasted various flat LED wafers to them from ebay leftover from interior light projects or whatever.  Id just wrap clear tape over the lights to hold them onto the aluminum plate.  

They will work from like 9v to 18 or so and you could get half a night of run time from a good battery.  I had a few of these and most were a real wide flood pattern great for putting around the jobsite.  I misplaced a whole duffle bag of these in the move unfortunately.  Would be a tremendous help now that all my repair work is outdoors.

I put a chicom lightbar on the bobcat and use that for mobile light.  My A frame ladder is about garbage, and i think when i get another thatll be turned into the mobile light tree.  
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 26, 2018, 05:41:38 PM
   Well in the spirit of full disclosure..... nights seem really black this time of year and I do have an excellent head lamp.  Secondly I have to take the battery out of the lawnmower or it will freeze. It actually takes a good 12v charge and is easy to store and handle.  Three lights in the bag with the battery.  A yellow flashing strobe. a work light and a corker of a headlight I can use while running the log loader.  I know....I know those voices in yer head are not real....but sometimes they come up with a "bright Idea"... :D

Dave is that an adze on the window sill  ?
Yes. I cut all my rafter and joist reductions with it. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen Alford

That is a nice looking shop Dave, I also notice you live in a place called "Alford"...that cant be good..  :-\

Been gathering stuff for a small project. Wanted a work station that I could move around and take outside. Just the basics anvil vise hammer and tape...As you can tell a tape is optional  :laugh:   Went with the wheel barrow ...removable handles.  Harder to lose stuff when its welded to something bigger.

Had quite a blow this week  lost power for a bit, had to upgrade my mini stove.

Had one lady out crushing coffee beans on her deck with a meat tenderizer. said she could start the day without power but there was no WAY she would start it without a cup of couffeee  :D
logon

bushmechanic

Stephen what's the anvil for? Are you shoeing "ol doll" :D. Love the moveable cart, I'd build one if I had more room :o

Stephen Alford

You can use an anvil for what ever you like, they are fairly resilient . It was welded on the tailgate of my truck  for quite awhile. The odd thing was I never saw anyone in the rear view mirror.   It belonged to my father , his instructions were...try not to bend it. :D
logon

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Shack life. 

I think you can guess where this is going..
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

thought it was turning into a door and you needed a place for your head :)

mike_belben

Not too far off.. I hit my head atleast once a week. 

The builder of said shack created the wackiest homemade, ill fitting, crooked, leaking concrete firehazard of a thimble ever.  now that the wifes little craft shop is in there it needed a real stove.  No way i could make it work with that thing.   

I still have to reframe, insulate and put the exterior back together but it worked.  Place went from 36 to 82 yesterday.  Knock that gripe off the honeydo list. 
Praise The Lord

Resonator

Wood splitter engine swap.

94[/img]
I mentioned this project in the "Daily Carnage" thread, and since it took a little fabrication to get it going again, I thought I'd show in this thread what it took to do this repair.

The original engine and the replacement are both 190cc Briggs, however, on the pressure washer engine the fuel tank is on the opposite side, and it has a no - prime starting carb. Having sat for a year the fuel had gone bad, and the tank had to be drained out, as well as the carb bowl. After that I had to blow out the fuel hose, and carb inlet, with the air compressor. Even then, it took lots of carb cleaner, and sputtering, to finally get it running smooth.

The other issue was the pto crank on the replacement engine was about 1.5" too short. I was able to cut a section off the original pto crank, and weld the two together. Luckily, both engines pto cranks had been drilled and tapped at the factory (for lawnmower blade mounting). This made it easy to connect and align the two crank sections with a cut off lawnmower bolt, and then weld them together. The original castle nut shaped coupler then went on, to drive the hydraulic pump.

One other fabrication I had done previous was to change the factory ball hitch, to a link pin. That way I pull the splitter around the woods with my tractor, and unhitch just by lowering the drawbar. I also replaced the kick-stand with a pivot wheel, to make it easier to unhitch and move by hand.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Thank You Sponsors!