iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-Classic Issue

Started by Cass007, March 01, 2015, 09:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cass007

I've been here a while lurking and learning. This forum helped me make the decision to install my E-Classic 2400 this past fall and overall I am very satisfied. I would like to make a thorough post with all the relevant info to help others, but right now I'm looking for some troubleshooting advice.

The furnace seems to be working ok, and is heating the house just fine, but when it runs it will get to 750*F and then bounce back and forth between medium and high burn mode. It used to burn all the way to 1100*F, but now I almost never see it climb that high. I'm concerned there is an issue and it may be causing me to burn more wood since it takes longer to get the water temp to the top setting.

General specs:

10 min idle between 50 sec pulse
175* low - 185* high water temp
Wood is mixed hard wood that has been under tarp for 1 season
Getting 12-14 hours between reloads on 5-6 hour burn times

Fire box air holes are all clean except the right rear hole ... that is clogged with creosote. Ash box is cleaned weekly and vent pipes between the ash box and stack cleaned every other week (just brushed out, not shop vac or anything). Ashtrol being used as needed. Coals are kept below the air holes in fire box, although I did let them pile up over for a few days.

Can anyone offer any advice as to why it won't go up into high burn and stay there? Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Cass

Becoming more Hillbilly with every passing year.

garret

Looks like its maintaining water temperature alright and that's what really matters.  I am with you on the cycling between high and low burn (above and then somewhat below 750 F and back again).  They do run cleaner and more efficient at highest possible temps.  I've seen as high as 1650 F and everything in between.  Normal for me (burning dry ash) is ~1100-1300 F.

I've been running my EC-2400 since Sept. and have on occasion seen the same thing.  In my opinion, this appears to happen whenever the coal bed is suboptimal and unable to sustain the level of combustion/pyrolysis required for gasification to occur at the prescribed rate.  This can be caused by a number of things based upon my observations:

1. wood is not dry enough (coal bed becomes depleted)
2  wood split too large or large rounds
3. refueling when coal bed mostly depleted
4. slot passage to RC partially blocked by ash or compacted coals
5. smooth airflow obstructed by a pile of ash just below or in front of the heat exchanger slots

My personal metric for good performance is how rapidly the furnace makes it to high burn.

Don't sweat the partially blocked air holes.  These newer models appear much less problematic when it comes to primary air blockage in the firebox.  I simply scrape the sides (removable plates) with a single pass of the hoe 2 times per day (would be a smooth operation if it wasn't for those pesky acorn nuts).  Never clogs.  Also better to service/fuel twice daily.  Seems to minimize deposition and reduce maintenance sort of like a self-cleaning oven.

Remember its all about a sufficient coal bed and unobstructed airflow.  What it the definition of sufficient?  Well that's something you will have to find out for yourself.

Hope this helps.
E-Classic 2400 comfortably heating 4,200 sq.ft. and unlimited DHW, Off-grid, Photovoltaic-powered pumps in gloomy SW PA , 34 t splitter, numerous Husky chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!