iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OWB over heating

Started by gspren, March 04, 2016, 09:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I have a good idea what's wrong but I'm always interested in knowing if I'm missing something. Yesterday when I checked the OWB it was 212, boiling, while I normally never see over 185, the blower off and the fire glowing so I shoveled most of the wood out and let it cool. I later pulled the blower off so I could check the flapper and it's loose and working so I guess either the loading door gasket or ash door gasket. Anything else to check? Since then with the blower shut off and adding very small amounts of wood it is staying hot so definitely getting air.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

jtflynn

Not familiar with this brand of OWB.  Best Guess is a bad solenoid....happened to me with my Central Boiler.  Swapped it out...not a problem since...

WmFritz

Can the Aqua-Stat be hanging up? When mine was new, I had issues with it overheating. I dialed the A/S down a bit and it doesn't go much beyond 180° now.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

coxy

one side of my damper door  hinge broke and cocked off to the side just enough to keep the draft going took me a little while to figure out that one cause it looked closed

Gearbox

Do you have duct work after your blower? If you do they may need to be resealed  Can you tighten the hinges on the doors ? look around for the finer weave rope for the door the corase weave leaked some air on my door .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

I have never been around that kind. But I did a cleaning of my ashes and I auger them out,there is a round plate with 2 wing nuts. Somehow I forgot to tighten both of them. That allowed the air in and caused me some high temps. Good luck. Been noticed any high temps in the last week?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Thanks for suggestions, it can't be anything electrical because with the switch turned off the fire normally would go out where now it keeps going, not roaring but burning and with the low heat load the other day it boiled. The damper door is just gravity to close and I did check to be sure it hadn't hung up. The gaskets are a couple years old so that's probably it, but it may be a week or two till I get it changed.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

yellowrosefarm

The solenoid on my Shaver will hang sometimes just enough so it lets air in. When I get an unexpected boil now,  I grab the can of 3-n-1 oil and put a few drops on the sliding part of the solenoid and problem solved.

r.man

On most OWBS if the door gaskets are bad enough to let air in then smoke will come out when the blower is on. Can you temporarily seal the incoming flapper without a lot of trouble to narrow down the possibilities? What model P&M do you have? 
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!