iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible skidder purchase

Started by PotterBuck, November 19, 2014, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PotterBuck

Hey Guys I just discovered this forum a few weeks ago while researching a possible skidder purchase, great site with exceptional hands on knowledge.  Anyway, I'm a forester but since high school have always enjoyed cutting and skidding and generally cut a small sale or two per year.  I generally work with my brother-in-law who has older tree farmer C5. It's a decent machine but I am looking to pick up a machine of my own.  Right out of college I worked for a large private landowner, marking, cutting and marketing timber.  We used a JD 340D skidder and it was a great machine.  I recently found out that I may have the opportunity to purchase it and wanted to get your opinion on it.  I know they are rare and it's hard to find much info on them.  I want to make them a fair offer but it's difficult to research their value.  It's a 1984, in very good to good condition.  Original motor and tranny with about 7200 hrs.  Winch is solid and the tires are about 30 to 40 percent.  I have heard that the blade was optional on it, but it does have the front blade.  I appreciate any input you might have. 

I am mainly cutting shelterwoods and small over story removals in 14-22 inch northern hardwood sites.  For the most part, skids are fairly short in distance.

treeslayer2003

i never seen one........pics if ya get it. if it helps i paid 10,000 for an 84 540B grapple in descent shape.

bill m

I know a local logger that has one. It's a great machine. As for parts don't know how much different they are from a 440. I would think a lot of the parts would interchange.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Maine logger88

A friend of mine rented one for awhile. It was a nice machine. Basically the same thing as a 440C just no turbo and a better park brake.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

PotterBuck

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 19, 2014, 08:27:17 PM
i never seen one........pics if ya get it. if it helps i paid 10,000 for an 84 540B grapple in descent shape.

Wow, that seems like a heck of a deal you got there.. I figured I'd be paying a fair amount more.

I may run up tomorrow and get a couple pics of the machine.. I'll post them if I do.  Thanks for the input.

BargeMonkey

A 340D and 440D share alot of the same parts. I have a set of deere factory books if you need to know something. They are a good machine, fit in the tiny spots a 540 wont go. I pull ALOT of wood with a 440D, on very little fuel. The 340D's are out there, the 448's are the odd balls. If your doing small thinnings and a few lots a year they are a good machine. Easy to move, other than the 3325 which can be a pain sometimes.

thecfarm

PotterBuck,welcome to the forum.
Seen this thread yet??
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
keep ya busy for a few minutes.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KyLogger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 19, 2014, 08:55:55 PM
other than the 3325 which can be a pain sometimes.

But when they're right, they are RIGHT!! The one on my 440B will pull and hold more than the skidder can handle! The one on my dozer needs some adjusting.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

BargeMonkey

Just adjusted my winch band today. They are a good winch on a small skidder. 4 maybe 5 and go. Came out with 10 behind the jack on cable with the grapple wrapped around them tonight.  ;)  4000 winch is the only way to go. A 42- franklin winch is a good winch too, i had one on a 405 and she would rip chokers if you didnt watch, and sometimes it didnt matter.

PotterBuck

Quote from: thecfarm on November 19, 2014, 08:58:07 PM
PotterBuck,welcome to the forum.
Seen this thread yet??
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,13313.0.html
keep ya busy for a few minutes.  ;D

Lol, yeah I spent about an hour checking that thread out last night.  Some interesting stuff there.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: PotterBuck on November 19, 2014, 08:55:16 PM
Quote from: treeslayer2003 on November 19, 2014, 08:27:17 PM

Wow, that seems like a heck of a deal you got there.. I figured I'd be paying a fair amount more.

I may run up tomorrow and get a couple pics of the machine.. I'll post them if I do.  Thanks for the input.
small skidders are cheaper here. you must be up north.

PotterBuck

Yeah, northern PA.  I would think that skidder would go for $18,000 up here, at least...

treeslayer2003

Quote from: PotterBuck on November 19, 2014, 10:10:52 PM
Yeah, northern PA.  I would think that skidder would go for $18,000 up here, at least...
yea, i seen what they want up there.......makes me want to load all my junk up and head north lol

PotterBuck

Well load me up one of them "junk" $10,000 540b's and bring it on up.  I'd be happy to help you get did of it ;D

mad murdock

Welcome potterbuck. Those little JD's are real nimble machines and like my old Garrett, you could move it with a good trailer and a 1 ton.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

PotterBuck

Thanks for all the input.  If I'm fortunate enough to work a deal out for it, I will be sure to post some pics.

The smaller, less impact type of machine is what I am looking for and the less complications in moving it would be a big plus. 

When you are not using the machine for an extended period of time, say a week or more, do you guys generally throw a tarp over it.  Do they make anything designed for tarping equipment? Custom sized or heavy duty?

BargeMonkey

A decent 4x6 canvas tarp is all mine gets, wipe the debris off, tarp and shut off the disconnect.     

Decked

Any day you learn something new is a good day, & I just learned how to post pics!!!!!!! 8)

Here's a little guy that's crawling around a mile from my house...

Thank You Sponsors!