iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stinking Catalytic Converter

Started by Chuck White, March 01, 2012, 08:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

There used to be a product that we could add to the gasoline when a vehicles Catalytic Converter started to smell bad, but none of the parts stores around here carry anything like that!

Anyone got a fix for this problem besides buying a new Cat.?

The vehicle in question is a 2008 Chevy Trail Blazer.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Clam77

Auto Barn there in NY carries it... Don't know how close to you they are though..
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

sandhills

Chuck, I never noticed it smelling bad, more of a whistling sound, but my dad's converter plugged on his pickup a few years ago, probably not the legal way to do it but a piece of rebar shoved in it breaking everything up was all it took, now it's hollow.  Catalytic converters are REALLY expensive, let us know what you find out.

Kansas

Have an 87 Trans Am and the converter went out some years ago. Nothing worse than driving 30 mph in a Trans Am. At best. I don't remember what I did anymore. I do remember my mechanic friend telling me it was very illegal for him to "fix" it. Probably ought not to say any more.

Magicman

Chuck, when converters "stop up" it is generally more than just smelling bad.  They will actually choke the engine down and sometimes you can actually hear air escaping immediately after you turn off the ignition key.

Your problem may be a fuel mixture problem.  I would be talking to a favorite mechanic before you go replacing anything.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moosehunter

Chuck,
If your check engine lamp is not on,. have a shop perform a fuel injection cleaning service. The chemicals used will sometimes clean up the cat in the process. If the light is on, you have a more serious problem. Modern Catalytic convertors are very reliable and when not functioning properly, there is usually an underlying cause.
A good product to try yourself is Techron, made by the Chevron company. Any quality parts store should have it.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kansas

I had so much fun in that car (when the converter wasn't a problem). Never did find the upper end on speed. I tried one night. Didn't have quite enough highway.

Chuck White

Engine light is not on!

Doesn't sound like anything is restricted either, just once in a while we'll get that old "rotten egg" smell.

We'll have to do a little more asking around at the parts stores!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Used to be routine to knock out the innards of the cat on the cars so they could move some exhaust through unrestricted.
Had a Merc stat wgn that kept running rough and mechanics couldn't figure out how to fix it.
Discovered the dual exhaust system only had one cat converter (because only one was required  :) ). Took the innards out of that and V-8 ran fine for many a more miles.

Regards my 2002 Trail Blazer, never touched the exhaust system of the 140,000 miles I drove it and don't recall any foul exhaust smell.
Now have a 2009 Trail Blazer, and with 40,000 miles, don't have the rotten egg smell but don't like hooking up the trailer with the engine running either ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Some of the newer engine computers will not operate properly without the Cat.  There is a transducer on the Cat that tells the computer when the engine is hot and adjust the fuel ratio, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Well, it's all scheduled to go into the shop on Wednesday!

downeast

Quote from: Chuck White on March 01, 2012, 08:38:43 PM
There used to be a product that we could add to the gasoline when a vehicles Catalytic Converter started to smell bad, but none of the parts stores around here carry anything like that!

Anyone got a fix for this problem besides buying a new Cat.?

The vehicle in question is a 2008 Chevy Trail Blazer.

Road kill ? :)

Thank You Sponsors!