iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just starting out, first time post, long time reader

Started by woeboy, February 13, 2010, 01:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woeboy

hi all!! I've been absorbing all i can from this great forum before I actually started to saw, and now the time has come, as i get to mill 5 white ash and 1 maple.  the ash ones are rather big (the biggest 31" dia) and the maple I believe is the smallest 22" dia.  Its family property but I'm still nervious as this will be starting my new venture and after this I dont have anything else scheduled for the mill yet.  smiley_anxious    Firewood has done well this year and I may have maybe a   month left for firewood sales but that isnt enough to start paying off this new mill.
thank you all in advance for any suggestions and advice

Chuck White

There are several sawyers on this forum that are within easy driving distance from you.
I would recommend you visit some of them and get a feel for the milling business that way.
Most sawyers (myself included) really like to visit with anyone interested in sawing.

Oh by-the-way Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Lots of good people and good information here!

Good luck in your venture! 8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Welcome to The Forestry Forum..... 8)

Which mill do you have?  I guess everyone is nervous at first, but starting with your own logs will really help.  I did.....and with nobody watching..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Glad you joined Forestry Forum, its a great place with great information.  If you hang around a you will end up with some good friends.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

woeboy

I bought a manual Turner Mill bandsaw with a 24 HP Honda, which will be finished at the end of the month. I figured I might as well start on a manual just to be sure I can do this and get the work to pay the mill off. I dont know how any people know of turner mills but i like everything i've heard of them. The Turner Mill has tires for band wheels, which extends the life of the band saw in many ways, the parts for the Turner mill, you can get at a car parts store. And the thing I like the best is the fact that that it is a family business, Bill Turner manufactures the mill himself. I much perfer to do business with small business when I can but thats me  ::)

Qweaver

A 31" dia log is really big for sawing on a manual mill.  I have cut a few that big on my WM LT15 but I had to trim it down with the chainsaw to make it work.  Turning is also a major problem at that size.  24" is about all that I will attempt now. 
Good luck and have fun!  8)
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Don K

Welcome to the Forum. That is some big logs to handle on a manual mill. I know, I had a LT 15. Make sure you have a safe way to turn them and such. Those big ones don't feel any resistence when something gets in the way.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bandmiller2

Woeboy,welcome I'd start with a little smaller log wile your learning.Where on the panhandle thats DanG good country.I don't think your too far from Cooks may be a good place to get your bands and have them sharpened.Set things up so you can roll heavy logs,save your back. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ARKANSAWYER

Welcome and glad you came out of the wood work.  You should look over to the left side of the screen and see about gettng some Logrite cant hooks.  If you are going to mess with  them big sticks then look into getting a Mega hook 78.  It will save your back.    I pasted some advice given to another new sawyer so when you get a few dull blades under your belt you can start finding more business.

Most of your customers will not be on Facebook.  They will be at the feed store.  If you want to drum up business on a nice Saturday morning go to the local feed store and buy a bag of corn to feed the deer in your yard.  Then go to a hardware store and get some hinges for the new saw shed you are going to build.  Then stop by the local cafe and eat lunch.  This whole time be towing your mill behind your truck.  Have business cards in your pocket and then find someplace else to go.  You may need a hair cut.  Here most stores have boards where you can post flyers.  Carry pins and post up business cards.  Carry a few boards in the back of the truck to show folks how well the mill cuts.  Be able to explain how you charge and what you charge and be ready at the drop of the hat to go cut up one log laying it someone's side yard.  Spring is not far off.  Look for wood working shows like carvers and builders shows at the fairgrounds.  They are worth seeing if you can bring you mill and set up outside with even if they do not allow you to saw.  If you have a friend that has land near a highway see if you can get a log over there and saw it on a Saturday afternoon and take you everloving sweet time.  After doing this you will wished you had hid the mill behind the house and never opened your mouth. 
ARKANSAWYER

southpaw

Welcome to the FF woeboy, I'm new to the saw gig myself, it won't take you long you'll be saw good lumber  ;). I have manual mill and on large logs 60" logrite cant hook works very well. Good luck work safe and post some pic's.  8)

sigidi

Welcome Woeboy, I agree with Arky on the hook side of things. I operate a Lucas down under and the one time I left my hook behind I found out really quick how easy and important it was:D

I did something similar to you, lurkin, learnin, soaking up info before I got my mill. I don't have a lot to offer on bandmill side of things, my years of experience are limited to my swinger, but welcome all the same 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

wewacountryboy

Welcome Woeboy. I'm pretty new to sawing myself. I have cut around 15,000 board foot on my Baker 18m with a 20hp honda. I have cut for several people and had nothing but fun. I'm in the process of getting my 24x48 shop up and running. I have found that the money is in kiln dried lumber instead of green lumber. I plan to build 2 solar kilns in the next few weeks. I have around twenty 24"+ yellow pines that I will be milling in a few weeks. If you would like, I would be more than happy to show you what I know. Feel free to give me a call at 850-340-1178. I will try to help you in anyway I can.

Good Luck
Jonathan Hanson
Jonathan Hanson

Thank You Sponsors!