iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what horizontal band saw for reclaimed hardwood slicing?

Started by chrisowings1, May 18, 2014, 01:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisowings1

We dismantle 100+ year old barns and build really cool and heavy duty furniture. We also do a few planking jobs from time to time. over the past couple of years I've stockpiled approx 50k b.f. of posts, 2x and misc. I want to slice into planks from 1/2" to 2". Wood is as hard as nails. Is there a good machine for 10k or less that will handle the job? Am considering a baker but it is too expensive.

slider

al glenn

VictorH

Another thought is to find a sawyer near you and have them cut them up.  You could do a little at a time or the whole lot whichever appeals to you.h

Ocklawahaboy

Where is your time most valuable?  if it is in turning lumber into furniture, I would let someone else maintain a sawmill and do the sawing.  that will keep you building furniture.  if you have excess time and want to saw, look at the lt15 and lt15 wide.  WM has a variet of blades for different hardnesses of wood.

barbender

Woodmizer makes a small resaw, HR120 I think, that should handle that.
Too many irons in the fire

dboyt

First of all, welcome to the forum!  If you are going to be just resawing beams, then a resaw would be a good investment.  A band mill would work, and have the advantage of sawing logs, as well.  I've done some resawing on my Norwood HD36, but their smaller LM29 would probably suit you well.  Both machines within your budget.  With just about any band saw mill, you'll need to build a special jig to clamp down the boards if you cut thinner than 1" on the last cut.  You might want to consider bi-metal blades, since you'll likely be cutting through nails.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

I would shop around for a dedicated re-saw, you can find them for less the 4k, the benefit is this machine keeps the boards flat while sawing, and are quite zippy in the process.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

chrisowings1,welcome to the forum. I myself would prefer to saw the material the way I would want to use it for. Might want an electric motor if not going to use it much.
Any pictures of some of your builds?  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, chrisowings1.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blade69001

WoodMizer HR 120 should work for what you are trying to do. When you talk to them tell them how hard the wood is so they can set you up with the right blades from the start. 

I also cut reclaimed wood sometimes, although it is a softwood but it does fine with it.
Sean

Just being me, But it is ok you do not have to like me.

Thank You Sponsors!