iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need to build a bandsaw mill

Started by oldhermit, October 26, 2018, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

you can also check the sawmill exchange for a used mill.  they are a sponsor and there is a link to the left.  do you have experience with a mill?  if not it would be good to gain a little mill time to help you make good choices with your build.  I respect that not everyone chooses to just go out and buy a mill.  the pulleys need to be true and stable.  they will be under great tension.  I have not seen the ones you are speaking of.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: doc henderson on August 07, 2019, 12:23:33 PM
yes.  the band wheels are heavy cast wheels that are almost like flywheels.  they used to recommend the v belt be tight and there was a whole procedure to change them, now they are using them more loose so the saw dust can fall out. a pulley would work.  it will need to be linked to a drive pulley on one side, say linked on a shaft.  do you have machining skills?  some have had success with a harbor freight model if you are just wanting to get in cheap to start.  with all your time and material cost I am not sure how much you save.  unless you have lots of time and materials already.  Good luck.  others will likely have opinions as well.
Thanks for the info Doc.  I can weld/fabricate but don't have easy access to a mill or lathe. I was just looking at the Linn Lumber site and see that they sell a complete saw carriage kit for $1200, which takes all the guess work out of building the intricate parts. I can whip up a trolley and track easily. Might be the way to go, and still be under the HF saw price.

Hoopty5.0

I've got some exposure to another home made mill that used tires. Seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.

I also have experience with a wood mizer. It's very nice, but not even in my realm of "affordable".

doc henderson

might be a good way to start.  if you get the sawmill bug, it will be like owning a boat.  at least with a mill, you can try to offset expenses with cash for services or lumber.  welcome to the forum and keep us up to date with your plans.  lots of info and people here that started out just like you.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

will this be for your own use.  many trees around.  will you be trying make money?  I am from ks and although we do not have big forested area, we also have few loggers and sawmills

Crusarius

Thats how I started. See my build thread. It worked out well. 

I can tell you now that the cost of new steel is much higher than you are thinking. I doubt you can build for less than the HF model. Unless you already have all the parts. I put the 22 hp predator engine on mine and that was $700 itself. It was far more than $300 in steel. Even if I had the engine, I still have more than $1000 in steel.

TKehl

Another option for wheels would be to find an old large bandsaw.  I sold one this weekend that had tipped over and broke the trunnion on the table.  32" wheels.  The guy who bought it ($400), plans to turn it into a sawmill.  

Steel is expensive. I was about to buy $600 for tube to replace rotting timbers under my band mill.  Found some 20' I beam that was heavier than I needed (6x8") for $200 on FB.  (HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!)

Unless you have a bunch of the stuff you need already sitting around or you don't value your time, it is usually cheaper to buy a mill and start using it IMHO.  

To keep it cheap, one could use a wood frame (timbers or sistered 2x6) with a bit of angle along the top for track.  It would get things moving until better could be built.  Do check out Hudson, Woodland Mills, and Norwood.  They have very economical entry mills.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Crusarius

$1200 for linn basic starter kit. or $2300 for a complete working mill. You need all those parts either way :)

I would actually be curious to know what the HF mill is like.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: Crusarius on August 07, 2019, 12:39:39 PM
Thats how I started. See my build thread. It worked out well.

I can tell you now that the cost of new steel is much higher than you are thinking. I doubt you can build for less than the HF model. Unless you already have all the parts. I put the 22 hp predator engine on mine and that was $700 itself. It was far more than $300 in steel. Even if I had the engine, I still have more than $1000 in steel.
I just cruised through your thread, very nice!
I have some hook ups through work that I'm trying to source some steel from for cheap or very cheap. We shall see! The perks of being a GC.

bwstout

I built my mill from all new metal and parts have about  $5000 in it and a year time but I would do it again. Experience is worth the time spent. I only wish that I had found this site before I built my mill the idea on here are fabulous.  But as others have said if you want to start now buy one ready to go.
home built mill

Hoopty5.0

Eh, I'm not necessarily in a hurry. I'm in between projects and have a local-ish mill for milling when I need it. The desire is to have my own and not have to haul logs into town and work around someone else's schedule. I have a large fence project coming up next year as well and would rather spend a few grand on a mill that I can get more use out of rather than dumping cash into a large box store for lumber.

More importantly, I like to build/tinker and my project car is "done" for now. ;D

bwstout

home built mill

ktm250rider

I have about $2K into mine.  Sourced as much stuff used as I could.  Old trailer axle cut down to size.  Used 22hp motor, scrap bin for short metal.  I bought good steel for the frame.  Yeah you can buy a HF sawmill....but then you'd have a HF sawmill.  Im not concerned with dropping a 1800lb log onto my bunks.

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer start mill with extra rail will cut anything you want and It is reasonable in price.  I have cut about 500 logs this year with it and it has paid for itself within the first few months.  I would update but I WANT it to be a HOBBY and NOT a business!!!!!, trying to slow down!!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

doc henderson

any pics of the project car?  That is helpful info.  we are trying to save you time and money.  If you like to build stuff as a hobby, go for it.  you must have logs or trees at your disposal.

Hoopty5.0

It's just a foxbody mustang. You either love them or hate 'em! Very mild turbo 302.

I have been keeping an eye on CL and marketplace and a Woodland Mills HM126 just popped up last night for $2200. Gonna wait a week or so and see about making an offer. It's a couple hours away in East TX. I've got a half dozen walnut logs, a few Tupelo, and and endless supply of pecan to mill.  Also, a few pines are about to come down for a shop, so I've got enough wood to mill to keep me busy for several weekends.

Crusarius

if you wait you probably already missed it.

Hoopty5.0

Quote from: Crusarius on August 08, 2019, 10:10:04 AM
Shoot, you called it. I messaged her and already got people coming for it. Ad less than 12 hrs old.

Crusarius

sawmills do not hang around long. even dilapidated old ones.

charles mann

Quote from: Hoopty5.0 on August 08, 2019, 11:39:32 AM
Quote from: Crusarius on August 08, 2019, 10:10:04 AM
Shoot, you called it. I messaged her and already got people coming for it. Ad less than 12 hrs old.
jv been keeping an eye out for some in the tx area, heck, even up to ar, ok, la, ms, co, even up in to wa and or. either out of my price range, out of price range compared to its condition, or the manufacturer. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

doc henderson

If you look long term, a brand saw mill will have higher resale than homemade or HF.  I paid 27 for mine 7 years ago and now new they are almost 40k.  TK 2000.  hope you find something soon.
do you pay for the use of the friends mill.  if they are not using it much, and it is cheap to use, might be the best, cheapest option, even if you pay something to use the mill.  and keep your eyes open for when a good deal comes around.  If the friend ends up wanting to sell, you will be the first one offered prob., and you will know well the ends and outs and condition of the mill.

charles mann

Quote from: doc henderson on August 08, 2019, 01:25:46 PM
If you look long term, a brand saw mill will have higher resale than homemade or HF.  I paid 27 for mine 7 years ago and now new they are almost 40k.  TK 2000.  hope you find somethin>g soon.<
you slowly becoming an irishman? or the hulk?
Temple, Tx

TKehl

Late model decent condition entry sawmills, welders, and plasma cutters all sell quick for near new price.  I'm all about used equipment!  But when they sell for so close to new, and warranty doesn't transfer, I make an exception.   ;)

You could always buy a new entry level sawmill, use it, then sell for 75-80% of what you paid in a couple years.   ;D  Then choose to get out or upgrade.   :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

doc henderson

I know.  something happened and went into weird mode.  occ. my laptop mouse has a mind of its own.  I did have broccoli cheese soup for lunch.  I was modifying and I guess I really did a good job! 8) 8) 8)

charles mann

Quote from: doc henderson on August 08, 2019, 01:40:30 PM
I know.  something happened and went into weird mode.  occ. my laptop mouse has a mind of its own.  I did have broccoli cheese soup for lunch.  I was modifying and I guess I really did a good job! 8) 8) 8)
:D :D :D

Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!