iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fire roasted tomato basil soup

Started by Norm, August 17, 2011, 08:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

I make this in the summer when the tomato vines start producing. For some reason this year my crop is late although they look better than last year. I tried staking them and aggressively pruning the vines. Helped to keep out the wilt but seemed to slow down the progress. Since I was grilling burgers last night decided to make up some.

First I throw on a couple of ripe tomatoes and an onion for some char and then roast them for a half hour or so.

Then I put them through the food processor. I'll add in the home made chicken stock later.

Most recipes call for minced basil but I just grab a bunch and let it simmer on the stove to infuse the flavor.

Last is a cup of heavy cream, slow cook while the rest of the meal cooks.

If you leave out the cream and simmer until thickened it makes a killer pizza sauce.

Patty

And as Raider would say, "It was DELISH!!"   :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kansas

Looks Delish. When I was in Las Vegas earlier this summer, my son and daughter-in-law took me to a dinner and a show. The show and dinner were mostly forgettable, but they started the meal with tomato-basil soup. It was wonderful. Never thought I would like a tomato soup. This looks like the recipe to try.

Raider Bill

I woke up thinking about this last night only I threw in some fresh baked hard crusted bread.
Thanks Norm.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Roxie

Wow!  That looks fantastic!  I'm gonna have to try that at home.   :)

Say when

sandhills

Thanks Norm, I'm not much of a tomato soup person but my wife's gonna love this!  :)
brownie points for me  :D

Patty

The basil you use will have an impact on the soup of course. Norm used fresh basil from our herb garden, and just laid the leaves in the soup while it simmered. Our basil happens to be called "sweet basil", and worked well in this soup, but I imagine any fresh basil will do.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Raider Bill

One of the perks of living in Florida is I have fresh herbs all year long just out my back door.  8)

jdtuttle

Just started picking some fresh ripe tomato's from the garden & copied your recipe. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks Norm  :)
jim
Have a great day

Kansas

I made this yesterday. It was good, but I think I made a few mistakes. Think I put in a little too much chicken stock, same with the cream. Going to put it back on the stove today and add some tomato paste. I want to try it using Roma tomatoes for the next batch. Still, it was well worth the effort and I will keep tweaking it. It needs some other spice, but I haven't quite figured it out.

Norm

I think mine was too watered down Kansas, next time I want to try slicing the tomatoes before roasting to see if I can get the water down. Also I'd use lots more tomato and less stock and cream to get a better tomato flavor.

Your idea of the paste to thicken it and add flavor sounds like a good idea.

Bro. Noble

Sounds like some garlic, hot pepper, and crumbled up bacon might go well with that ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Norm

I can't think of anything that wouldn't taste good with Noble!

Bro. Noble

Norm,  I had to read that twice------I first thought you might be a cannable :o :o :D :D

jdtuttle

Made this a couple days ago & it was a hit with the family. After tomato's came off the grill I removed the skin before putting them in the processor. I cooked it down to thicken before adding the cream, then seasoned with salt & pepper. Really didn't need anything else. Thanks for the recipe it's a keeper :)
jim
Have a great day

Mooseherder

I made a version of this dish this afternoon with what we had available without going to the store and am eating it now.  We had Tomatoes that we had to do something with so thanks for the inspiration.
This

Made this.

Wow, what an awesome dish.  I'll be making it more often.
Thanks For sharing it. :)

Norm

Way to go guys!

Noble don't worry your safe, most likely tough and gamey.  :D

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Norm on August 28, 2011, 05:28:37 PM
Way to go guys!

Noble don't worry your safe, most likely tough and gamey.  :D

Patty,  Norm has convinced me that I don't need to worry,  but he hasn't convinced me that he doesn't have canibilistic tendancies :o :o  I'm remembering a photo that you posted one time where he was dressed like one of them guys.  I don't want you to post that picture again(although I think Roxie does ;)}  But you might take a look at the picture and see what Norm is cooking ;)

Patty

Oh you must mean BBQ boy, Noble!!   I think Roxie is sweet on him.  ;)
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Roxie

I will never forget him......   
Say when

WDH

Who could forget that?  Some people even needed counseling  :D.

beenthere

Quote from: Patty on August 30, 2011, 05:45:53 PM
Oh you must mean BBQ boy, Noble!!   I think Roxie is sweet on him.  ;)
In another post I made a reference to BBQ boy as Patty's boyfriend, and apparently made a mess out of things. To me, Norm is Patty's boyfriend and sure didn't mean to create ill feelings by implying anyone else was involved. But I did and really apologize for making that mistake.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!